IGNORED

Best Handheld?

sdstuff64

GBA for sure...

I scopped up the NGPC the minute it came out, and was heart broken when it was discontinued only about 8 months later :-( I have to vote the GBA as the best hand held ever, the TurboExtress is a close second, as it could play the TG16 console games....

I'm not a big fan of Japanese influence on video games, I don't like the poor english translations, ludicrous Sci-Fi story lines, and art... and the NGPC was packed full of that stuff... :-)

But it had a damn good Sonic port :-) and was the first console system I ever tried to homebrew for...

Currently, I'd have to say the GBA. That little thing kicks ass.

Previously, I would have said the Nomad.

The main problem with the handhelds is that none other than the Gameboy stand any chance of being supported. Therefore, a good selection of games never grows for them. The Nomad avoided this because of its compatibility with the large libary of Genesis games.

Of course, the Nomad drains batteries at a rate of 6 in 3 hours or less.

Currently, I'd have to say the GBA.  That little thing kicks ass.

Previously, I would have said the Nomad.

The main problem with the handhelds is that none other than the Gameboy stand any chance of being supported.  Therefore, a good selection of games never grows for them.  The Nomad avoided this because of its compatibility with the large libary of Genesis games.

Of course, the Nomad drains batteries at a rate of 6 in 3 hours or less.

The gamegear had a love of batteries too, which is why I didn't mention it... even though it was a cool handheld..

Hummm......it would really depend on the situation. Anywhere with a mains socket handy - Lynx. For portability though the NGPC is perfect.

Has anyone here bought a GP32? I know there have been a couple of threads about it...anyhow I should be getting one in a week or so. Just got to sell my pinball *cough* http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...&item=744427280 *cough*

I bought a GP32, but havn't had time to toy with it... I couldn't find any english games out for it... I want to do some homebrews, maybe some emulator projects for it when I get the time, I love how it's all balanced on the linux OS, that makes life very easy :-)

And it takes Compact Flash media for software, which is cheap and easily available for homebrewing, unlike other consoles :-)

I bought a GP32, but havn't had time to toy with it... I couldn't find any english games out for it... I want to do some homebrews, maybe some emulator projects for it when I get the time, I love how it's all balanced on the linux OS, that makes life very easy :-)

And it takes Compact Flash media for software, which is cheap and easily available for homebrewing, unlike other consoles :-)

Have you tried the Divx and mp3 playing bits? I thought with the games they could work in both languages or something?

You can download a perfect port of doom as far as I know, which would be neat. I don't know if you are aware of http://www.insertcredit.com/, but they have a bunch of game reviews and news updates for it.