IGNORED

Idea for a new game - ZOMBIES

flammingcowz

For anyone that plays the newer system and games, you know that zombies is a huge deal right now. The most popular ones are still the Call of Duty zombies and the 360 arcade game "i made a game with zombies". On the new Call of Duty, they also have an arcade style one that you could say is competing with "i made a game with zombies".

Well, those arcade types are what I think would make a good 2600 game.

======THE GAME=====

top down view

You are in the center of the screen and move in all directions as zombies come from all directions towards you. You start off with a simple, single-shot weapon. Face a zombie, shoot it, and move to the next. After a few killings you either automatically get or can pick up another weapon, a little more powerful. Maybe have it shoot the whole time you hold down the button.

Zombies get more plentiful as you play more, and you get more and more weapons. explosive bullets, rapid fire weapons, etc.

Edited by flammingcowz

IIRC, The Atari has 2 sprites, any more then that requires flicker. Having a zombie game, you need two things is seems....dumb zombies, and lots of them as time goes on, and they shall also get faster.

It'd be awesome to see, but maybe not for the Atari. I was thinking of a NES game but meh, just was a though of it'd be cool. Like Smash TV just with zombies! :P I think this would be a great 16-Bit game for SNES or Genesis. I think flicker on the 2600 would kill it, though. :/

IIRC, The Atari has 2 sprites, any more then that requires flicker. Having a zombie game, you need two things is seems....dumb zombies, and lots of them as time goes on, and they shall also get faster.

It'd be awesome to see, but maybe not for the Atari. I was thinking of a NES game but meh, just was a though of it'd be cool. Like Smash TV just with zombies! :P I think this would be a great 16-Bit game for SNES or Genesis. I think flicker on the 2600 would kill it, though. :/

Flicker? Have you ever played Berzerk? This seems perfectly possible on the 2600.

Besides...

NES is for douchebags.

• Like 3

Flicker? Have you ever played Berzerk? This seems perfectly possible on the 2600.

Besides...

NES is for douchebags.

Brandon, lets not get this dirty or off topic, but I'm tired of you bagging on me just because I like a system you don't like, just shut the flip up before I report you to the mods of our little conversation in mail last chat ago. Just because you don't like me doesn't mean you have to trash me everywhere I go, don't be such a little douche, please. If you ever bring that little pet peeve that you don't like the NES OR ME again for no real reason, I'll be sure to do so. Keep it stright, nobody needed to know, and nothing has to happen, but if I have to, I will, I won't stand being bugged by you any longer.

Okay....NOWWWWW: Yeah, but yet, if you only ever have 2 zombies on the screen with your sprite, a bullet sprite, and two zombies in a scanline, things would get lagging from the hardware standpoint quick. And plus, two zombies? I don't think it's enough to make a good zombie game. Not enough action and hectic-ness. Maybe more of a Haunted House like game, where you can explore a house and will encounter a zombie or two throughout the whole game would be cool, but somebody would have to figure more out and come up with more ideas. :)

I'd love to have a game like that on another system. Like IMAGWZII, but retrofied. That'd be epic. :)

Edited by GreenDayRlz

Shooting Zombies reminds me of

IIRC, The Atari has 2 sprites, any more then that requires flicker.

The 2600 is not THAT limited... Yes, there are only 2 sprites (players), but you can reuse them vertically, which means the the limit is actually two sprites per scanline. To reuse them vertically, you need to reposition them horizontally (it usually takes 2 scanlines to reposition each sprite). So, as the screen renders from the top to the bottom, you can draw a Zombie using player 1, then you hide player 1 and reposition it to the coordinate of the next Zombie, then you draw the second Zombie... You can do this all the way to the bottom of the screen, so you can easily have something like 8 Zombies on the same screen without any flickering, as long as they don't share the same scanlines.

Also, you can use the missiles and the ball to draw more characters if these objects are not being used for other things (you'll need at least one of them for the bullets) and the characters' graphics are sufficiently blocky. So yeah, I agree that this game is perfectly doable on the 2600.

Could be a cool NES game too, where gameplay could be more complex than just shooting.

Besides...

NES is for douchebags.

Brandon, lets not get this dirty or off topic, but I'm tired of you bagging on me just because I like a system you don't like, just shut the flip up before I report you to the mods of our little conversation in mail last chat ago. Just because you don't like me doesn't mean you have to trash me everywhere I go, don't be such a little douche, please. If you ever bring that little pet peeve that you don't like the NES OR ME again for no real reason, I'll be sure to do so. Keep it stright, nobody needed to know, and nothing has to happen, but if I have to, I will, I won't stand being bugged by you any longer.

Okay....NOWWWWW: Yeah, but yet, if you only ever have 2 zombies on the screen with your sprite, a bullet sprite, and two zombies in a scanline, things would get lagging from the hardware standpoint quick. And plus, two zombies? I don't think it's enough to make a good zombie game. Not enough action and hectic-ness. Maybe more of a Haunted House like game, where you can explore a house and will encounter a zombie or two throughout the whole game would be cool, but somebody would have to figure more out and come up with more ideas. :)

I'd love to have a game like that on another system. Like IMAGWZII, but retrofied. That'd be epic. :)

Lmao Blackmailing.

i am an NES fan, so watch your filthy mouth.

What are you going to do, call my mom? icon_razz.gif

I don't have to call your mommy, I will call you from her cell phone in the morning........lol!!!!!!!!!!! (jk seriously guys....the zombie thing sounds cool, but the nes thing?)

This could make a cool Atari 2600 idea, but what are the zombies really gonna look like? Could you make them look like the sprite from the Halo game so I could shoot the shit out of Halo....! lol!

Besides...

NES is for douchebags.

Do yourself a favor and search "NES is for douchebags" in the Classic Gaming forum. You'll find out real quickly that it is a common joke. I'll forgive you ;)

Oh, and the threats:

Nixon-coolstory.jpg

Edited by brandondwright

Ahhh, thanks Tokumaru, and thats interesting. I noticed you called them players, and then mentioned missiles, are they different?

And still, when zombies run at you, two zombies running at you, if they hit you, would be in the same scanline as the player, unless then came from the top and bottom only. That could extend the stuff on the screen then I guess? Ahhh whatever, somebody should do it to show me what the Atari can do! :P

Brandon, I don't care, if anything is a douche to me, it's you. You've only ever bashed me on liking Nintendo stuff and not worshiping your freaking Atari. Don't make me link to that message thread, it's not a story.

Edited by GreenDayRlz

Brandon, I don't care, if anything is a douche to me, it's you. You've only ever bashed me on liking Nintendo stuff and not worshiping your freaking Atari. Don't make me link to that message thread, it's not a story.

Go for it. I'm sure I've said worse things to people more respected. I've tried to quit the angry and disgusting swearing tirades, and I do believe that whatever blackmail you have, it no longer represents me as a contributing forum member. So, do your worst. My body is ready.

...You can do this all the way to the bottom of the screen, so you can easily have something like 8 Zombies on the same screen without any flickering, as long as they don't share the same scanlines.

Also, you can use the missiles and the ball to draw more characters if these objects are not being used for other things (you'll need at least one of them for the bullets) and the characters' graphics are sufficiently blocky. So yeah, I agree that this game is perfectly doable on the 2600...

For sure. And even on the same scanline you could use player copies or the galaxians RESPn trick. The zombie hordes would be shambling toward the player, so moving together as a group wouldn't be a big deal.

I had/have a game about Zombies in the works called "Game of The Living Dead". The name is a take on the movie Night of The Living Dead. I didn't get very far, probably because I haven't programmed in awhile. I also haven't done a game with more than one enemy updating at a time.

The game play is like the Activision game Oink! kind of. You start at the bottom and have to barricade your house in. The zombies come down the screen and try to break in your house to eat your brains.