IGNORED

VCS Pac-Man and the Confederate Turd

Flojomojo

Sometimes even the good ones can be made fun of too, like the duck-looking dragons on Adventure, and when I was introducing a friend of mine to a certain game called Pitfall, I was showing him how to jump across the alligators...er, crocodiles, I forget which...so he called them "crocigators" right then and there.

And I STILL call them that, 20 years later! :)

Good games create great verbiage. I wonder if they were called "power pellets" and "energizers" before Puck-Man became Pac-Man. :D

The Confederate Flag is a symbol of Southern oppression upon Blacks and white superiority. Don't ask me why I think this. I have have seen many rednecks here in Vermont that fly this flag. I've always felt compelled to remind them that they are in liberal Vermont.

Then again, it is a piece of cloth. It's mostly the symbolism behind it that makes people pissed off.

• 2 years later...
The Confederate Flag is a symbol of Southern oppression upon Blacks and white superiority. Don't ask me why I think this. I have have seen many rednecks here in Vermont that fly this flag. I've always felt compelled to remind them that they are in liberal Vermont

181875[/snapback]

You sir can blow a goat :x The Battle Flag is a St. Andrews cross much like the state flag of Alabama or Scotland for that matter , Slave ships flew the flag of the United States (which I believe is still flown in Vermont) Not the Confederate Battle flag or the Naval Jack, as a matter of fact most slavers flew the flag of The Netherlands. The Southern Cross is a symbol of the Southern people and our Scot-Irish heritage, I assume you are an Anti-Celt Bigot which is your right just dont expect me to sit by and allow you to insult my family and ancestors.

Nuff Said

Post Scriptum: I expect to be insulted on the P&R Forum, but here??? Yankee arrogance knows no bounds I suppose :ponder:

Edited by sandmountainslim

Can't beat that for humor value when you're twelve years old.)

When yer TWELVE? Screw that, this was about the funniest thing I've heard in a while and I'm 27! Hysterical. I'll never play Pac-man the same way again! Very funny. :D :D :D :D :D :D

179019[/snapback]

I second that! Twelve? That's pretty funny.

This thread is so off topic, out of place and should have been left buried where it was years ago ... but since its back my, 2 cents.

The Confederate flag is as much a sign of slavery as the stars and stripes is a sign of paramilitary revolution. Just because some wacko groups use these symbols in their rituals, does not redefine their real meaning.

Contrary to what we were all taught in grade school, the Civil War was not initially fought over slavery. Slavery played only a tiny role and even that was only a perceived threat, as the nubile republican party stated openly that they were not out to abolish slavery. The Confederate flag represented a group of states who believed in decentralized power, states rights and self government. Funny, the South didnt have much of a chance to win the war (and if they did, it was only because of the follies of the northern generals), states rights owned a large portion of responsible for the fall of the Confederate. There was much internal conflict between the southern states during the war; Davis wrote that if he had the powers that Lincoln had he could wage a much more effective war.

Using the logic of some of the earlier posts we would also have to associate the Catholic Cross to slavery. Remember that its wasnt until 1965 that the Second Vatican Council denounced all forms of slavery; thats 100 years after our Civil War.

PS: I am from New York. I am not defending anything here, merely reminding people of facts.

Vern

The Confederate Flag is a symbol of Southern oppression upon Blacks and white superiority. Don't ask me why I think this. I have have seen many rednecks here in Vermont that fly this flag. I've always felt compelled to remind them that they are in liberal Vermont

181875[/snapback]

You sir can blow a goat :x The Battle Flag is a St. Andrews cross much like the state flag of Alabama or Scotland for that matter , Slave ships flew the flag of the United States (which I believe is still flown in Vermont) Not the Confederate Battle flag or the Naval Jack, as a matter of fact most slavers flew the flag of The Netherlands. The Southern Cross is a symbol of the Southern people and our Scot-Irish heritage, I assume you are an Anti-Celt Bigot which is your right just dont expect me to sit by and allow you to insult my family and ancestors.

Nuff Said

Post Scriptum: I expect to be insulted on the P&R Forum, but here??? Yankee arrogance knows no bounds I suppose :ponder:

844641[/snapback]

Why are you digging up a nearly 3 year old topic and calling me out on it? What do you expect to accomplish by such a thing?

I think you ougtta let things stay in the past where they belong.

How many more threads are you going to dig up? How many times must you PM me demanding an apology? :roll:

P.S- Are you drunk?

181875[/snapback]

Nuff Said

844641[/snapback]

Why are you digging up a nearly 3 year old topic and calling me out on it? What do you expect to accomplish by such a thing?

How many more threads are you going to dig up? How many times must you PM me demanding an apology? :roll:

P.S- Are you drunk?

844683[/snapback]

Actually, it looks like it was Flojomojo who resurrected this thread, not sandmountain slim. Just saying...

Contrary to what we were all taught in grade school, the Civil War was not initially fought over slavery.  Slavery played only a tiny role and even that was only a perceived threat, as the nubile republican party stated openly that they were not out to abolish slavery.  The Confederate flag represented a group of states who believed in decentralized power, states rights and self government.

Vern

844681[/snapback]

I've never been too convinced by that point of view IMHO. The John Brown massacre at Harper's Ferry was more about slavery (or being psychotic :) ) than state's rights. So was all the uproar about Uncle Tom's Cabin.

Oh well, who cares, doesn't this thread seem about as old as the Civil War?

Edited by jsoper

Contrary to what we were all taught in grade school, the Civil War was not initially fought over slavery.  Slavery played only a tiny role and even that was only a perceived threat, as the nubile republican party stated openly that they were not out to abolish slavery.  The Confederate flag represented a group of states who believed in decentralized power, states rights and self government.

Vern

844681[/snapback]

I've never been too convinced by that point of view IMHO. The John Brown massacre at Harper's Ferry was more about slavery (or being psychotic :) ) than state's rights. So was all the uproar about Uncle Tom's Cabin.

Oh well, who cares, doesn't this thread seem about as old as the Civil War?

846009[/snapback]

Let me preface this by saying I am not defending slavery at all, it belongs on the very lowest level of the morality scale. What is really sad is that slavery is an intelligent animals creation. We cant even blame it on evolution or instinct. And its my theory that the only reason the North did not participate in slavery is because it had no need it for it. With highly industrialized cities and its plentiful inflow of poor immigrants (almost slaves in my opinion, maybe cheaper too) it was able function at very high levels of productivity.

Addressing your comments, yes these was definitely unrest with slavery with much of the population, there was even evidence of that in the southern states; remember that it was only a small minority that actually had the "privilege" of owning slaves. Still you would be hard pressed to find much political pressure towards abolishment. If the primary reason for secession was slavery, wouldnt Lincoln have pressed for abolishment or some other anti-slavery legislations before or during the earlier parts of the war?

Our only saving grace, the thing that brought us back to humanity, was that fact that we purchased freedom for all men with our over 600,000 American lives, instead of the glorified idea of a solidified Union.

Vern

Still you would be hard pressed to find much political pressure towards abolishment.  If the primary reason for secession was slavery, wouldnt Lincoln have pressed for abolishment or some other anti-slavery legislations before or during the earlier parts of the war?

Vern

846054[/snapback]

I thought keeping the border states in the union was a big factor in deciding this.

One of the things that makes the Civil War fascinating is the different layers the people had, how the war changed them, and how it looks to modern eyes. I've even read that Lincoln and the Republicans didn't want slaves in the new states because they didn't want blacks there period. Six thousand freed blacks were shipped back to Liberia ("liberty") Africa and there was talk about shipping all of them. The capital city Monrovia was named for President Monroe. Kind of a mixed bag in terms of modern morality.

Edited by jsoper

It would seem that a large part of my enjoyment of old games stems from reminiscing about my childhood.

Just started up 2600 Pac-Man for the first time in a looooong while, and the square, brown-yellow "vitamin" appeared ...

... it was like I was 12 again, and from deep in my subconcious came an urge to cry out "Quick!  Eat the Confederate Turd!"  Hadn't had THAT thought in a mighty long time.

(You see, it's rectangular, like a flag.  Where I come from, the Rebel flag is quite offensive, which adds to the humor.  Plus, it's the color of urine and feces.  Can't beat that for humor value when you're twelve years old.)

Just thought I'd share.

178723[/snapback]

What I always called it is nowhere near as funny :( When I was growing up we just called it the "bread and butter". Wafers, power pills, the occaisional ghost, and "bread and butter". It sounds like an institutional diet of some kind.

How many more threads are you going to dig up? How many times must you PM me demanding an apology?  :roll:

P.S- Are you drunk?

844683[/snapback]

It appears the Necromancer has struck again!

http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/warrior...necromancer.htm

After you check out the explanation for that, you may find a few other Atariage denizens there.

I thought keeping the border states in the union was a big factor in deciding this.

The North - South state lines were decided fairly quickly, its my understanding that the real northern fear was secession and slavery spreading west. They would have had to chase it to the Pacific and there was no way the northern population would have support a war of those dimensions.

I've even read that Lincoln and the Republicans didn't want slaves in the new states because they didn't want blacks there period.

I dont think anybody wanted the slaves around if they were free. I would image that their reasoning, beyond racism, would have been equivalent to our modern American reasoning for not wanting foreign workers in the country. They take jobs, increase population density, and they are different.

Six thousand freed blacks were shipped back to Liberia ("liberty") Africa and there was talk about shipping all of them.  The capital city Monrovia was named for President Monroe.

Thats interesting about "exportation" to Africa, I didnt realize that it actually occurred. Was it forced or concentual?

Kind of a mixed bag in terms of modern morality.

I agree that the morality of the situation was more than confused, but its really not that much different than todays. It seems that we just wish-wash our ways though things and we hope by the end that we come out a little better. Hind sight is almost always 20-20.

Vern