IGNORED

Easy copying multiple files for MyDOS

Marius

Hi,

For spartados I have a few tools which let me work with files very easy. I have a program called 'menu.com' (in spartados, but it might be a tool from bewedos but ok) ... which let me select (and unselect) files, and then copy those selected files. Or delete or whatever operation is possible.

It is VERY handy. I don't want to copy *.* ... and I definately don't want to copy one file at a time.

But now I'm working with a MyDOS partition. It works great, but I really REALLY need such a tool as described above.

I did not test YET if that tool does work on MyDOS too. Perhaps it is originally CIO based, but I'm afraid not. And... I'm not sure if the Directory handling is right (since it is written for Sparta/BeweDOS).

So if anyone has this kind of tool for MyDOS, I'd be VERY pleased. If it does not exist yet... I'm afraid I have to write it myself....

Thanks

Marius

Hi,

For spartados I have a few tools which let me work with files very easy. I have a program called 'menu.com' (in spartados, but it might be a tool from bewedos but ok) ... which let me select (and unselect) files, and then copy those selected files. Or delete or whatever operation is possible.

It is VERY handy. I don't want to copy *.* ... and I definately don't want to copy one file at a time.

But now I'm working with a MyDOS partition. It works great, but I really REALLY need such a tool as described above.

I did not test YET if that tool does work on MyDOS too. Perhaps it is originally CIO based, but I'm afraid not. And... I'm not sure if the Directory handling is right (since it is written for Sparta/BeweDOS).

So if anyone has this kind of tool for MyDOS, I'd be VERY pleased. If it does not exist yet... I'm afraid I have to write it myself....

Thanks

Marius

I'd say Toms Navigator but I don't know if it works for MyDOS versions after 4.5. I think it does.

It sounds like a shameless plug, but The Last Word's disk menu is a very capable file manager. You can tag/untag multiple files, do wildcard batch renaming, deletion, and copying. You can also view any file on screen with word-wrap.

Of course, you probably don't want to load a word processor every time you want to copy a few files. I have a half-completed recursive file copier specially for MyDOS on my HDD which I wrote about a year back. I'd be happy to finish it if there's sufficient interest. Alternatively, you're welcome to the source code (probably not the most readable, however). I was hoping someone else would complete it.

1. I know people having Toms Navigator 1.22 ... but the newest version I can find online is 1.21 ... how to get Toms Navigator 1.22 or higher perhaps?

@flashjazzcat

Sounds interesting. But... I am rather out of time right now (spent too much time already on Atari 8bit last weeks!) so I guess I'm not "the right man" :s to finish it...

I found 1.22 in a 16MB partition somewhere in a thread on this forum.

BUT... that is a replacement for DUP.SYS ... I know there are also exist 1.22 version of Toms Navigator as an executably binary. I need that one... I hope it is available somewhere.

Thanks

M.

Hmm,

who says that a multi-file-copy program that works under MyDOS must be especially written for MyDOS ?!? Why not try all / some of the available file-copiers for DOS 2.x ?!? Attached you will find some of my (multi-) filecopy and file-management programs. Maybe there are a lot more of them that work under MyDOS than you first thought...

I personally prefer the Multi-Filecopy program of Turbo-DOS XL/XE (by Reitershan), since I am used to it, but Prof. Copy 2.0 by FoX (requires min. 128k RAM!) is also a very good file-copier and there are many other programs on the disks...

-Andreas Koch.

P.S.: Toms Navigator 1.22 is also on these disk(image)s... downloaded from atarionline.pl

Mul_Copy.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin

who says that a multi-file-copy program that works under MyDOS must be especially written for MyDOS ?!? Why not try all / some of the available file-copiers for DOS 2.x ?!? Attached you will find some of my (multi-) filecopy and file-management programs. Maybe there are a lot more of them that work under MyDOS than you first thought...

I don't think it's so much a question of whether a given program works, but whether it permits the user of folders/subdirectories. A copier designed for DOS 2.x may place limitations on the filename length, or disallow path delimiters. It's extremely unlikely that it would allow the cataloguing of, for example, "D:>PROGRAMS>UTILS>TEXTEDIT>*.*". Much of the time, a MyDOS user will wish to copy/move files from one folder to another on the same disk.

The same applies to recursive copiers. Under DOS 2.x, the only copy scenario is from one disk to another. No DOS 2.x batch copier is likely to recursively scan a directory tree.

Edited by flashjazzcat