IGNORED

How many of us have real A8 Machines?

José Pereira

Some A8 Statistics  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Real A8 Machines

• I have at lest one one
    • I have more than one (state how many...)
    • I do not have any
    • I intend to buy one (Model?)
    • I will sell mine (please don
  2. 2. New Cartridge Large Size Games

• I will buy if they are original Games
    • I will buy if they are ports of Arcade Games
    • I will buy if they are all type of new Games
    • I will not buy, just want to have free Emulator downloads
    • I will not buy, just want free files to run on my real Machine
  3. 3. I will pay for new Cart Games

4. 4. How much money would I pay for each one of this new Large Games (only if you click on Options 1or3 of the previous question)

• less than $49,95
    • $49,95
    • $59,95
    • $69,95
    • Any price if the Game is the one(s) I always wanted to see on A8
    • Depends if I first saw and like the Gfxs./Playing of the Game

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Right now I've just got a 400 and a 130XE, both stock. I plan to do a 48K upgrade and an S-video mod on the 400, and I'm also thinking of modding the 130XE with an S-video jack and RCA jacks for both composite video and audio.

I used to have pretty much every A8 except for the 65XE and 800XE, but I'd love to have an 800 and a 1200XL again though.

Edited by ApolloBoy

- Atari 400 with full stroke keyboard and 56K

How did you get 56K RAM in an Atari 400? Isn't ROM space like 10K?

Memory boards up to 64KB, while not common, were made for the 400 and some could also be used with the 800. I upgraded my first Atari, a 400 that came with only 8KB, to a Mosaic 64KB Select RAM board in the fall of 1982, it couldn't run much software before upgrading.

The Mosaic 64KB board used bank select in 4KB blocks for memory above 48KB. Info about it is available on AtariArchives, link.

I would think his 56KB RAM card is similar, just with 2-4KB banks instead of 4.

I wanted to vote: "I'll buy the game if it looks interesting or I think I'll like it." For instance, I didn't buy Tempest Xtreem, even though it looks impressive what Peter pulled off... but I just don't like Tempest much. Bombjake, I might buy possibly. Space Harrier, definitely! (although it looks like it will be free).

I have:

800 XL (256k, internal MyIDE, Stereo board)

800 XL (256k)

800 XL stock

a couple 800 XLs that are in various states of not working.

1200 XL, stock

1450XL motherboard, partially populated

800 stock

400 stock

65XE stock

130XE stock

2 x Happy 1050s

1 x 1050 stock

2 1MB MIOs (one working one not working 100%) (20MB vintage SCSI hard drive to go with it)

32-in-1 ROM upgrade (currently not installed in any machine)

VBXE2 (currently not installed in any machine)

SDrive Nuxx

MyIDE carts (I've got three of these: 1 original Mr.Atari version, 1 "prototype/pre-production run" of the Atarimax MyIDE+1mb+flash, and 1 production run MyIDE 1mb+flash)

Atarimax flashcarts (1 of each of the 1mb and 8mb versions)

a dozen or two cartridges, including SpartaDOS X.

As you can tell, the 800XL is my favorite machine, and all the mods go in those typically, since those are the ones I use... probably has to do with the fact that the 800XL was my first computer (still have it, but the keyboard died and had to swap it). Hardly anything compared to some of you guys, but I feel I have quite a bit of cool atari stuff, enough to keep me busy... just wish I had a bit more space to set it up in.

Edited by Shawn Jefferson

800 at least 3 with another in transit

600XL at least 3

800XL at least 5 with another in transit

1200XL one

130XE at least 4

XEGS at least 3

1050 at least 8 with another in transit

XF551 at least 2

MIO one 256k

Black Box one

memory upgrades run the gamete from 1 meg newell to roll your/their own 256k whatzits in everything except XEGS and 600XL. Everything Atari that I own is second hand to me. I was in a real Atari store only once IIRC. I bought an ink roller for my 1027 back in the late 80's.

My favorite is the 800XL due to it's keyboard and very clean screen.

1) I have more than one :

1 1200XL (stock)

2 600XL PAL (stock)

1 800XL SECAM (stock)

1 800XL SECAM (internal MyIDE CF + multi OS)

1 800XL NTSC (stock)

1 800XL NTSC (256Ko + SimpleStereo + VBXE + SIO2PC)

1 800XE (PAL)

1 130XE (SECAM)

2) yes

3) yes

4) Depends if I first saw and like the Gfxs./Playing of the Game

Edited by StaxX28

@ Almost Rice

I am shocked you missed it. I think I paid less than $50 shipped on ebay. I only got it because the case and keyboard was in such good condition. Only when I got it did I notice the 1200 badge.

when you bought it? this year ?

I think I got it 2006 or 7. I do not remember. I know it was from eBay though.

- Atari 400 with full stroke keyboard and 56K

How did you get 56K RAM in an Atari 400? Isn't ROM space like 10K?

Memory boards up to 64KB, while not common, were made for the 400 and some could also be used with the 800. I upgraded my first Atari, a 400 that came with only 8KB, to a Mosaic 64KB Select RAM board in the fall of 1982, it couldn't run much software before upgrading.

The Mosaic 64KB board used bank select in 4KB blocks for memory above 48KB. Info about it is available on AtariArchives, link.

I would think his 56KB RAM card is similar, just with 2-4KB banks instead of 4.

Thanks. I didn't think they would be build a memory card that was banking just 2 banks, but I guess 4K was a lot of memory back then when people actually spent time optimizing/compressing/squeezing features unlike the bloated suboptimal approach these days.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a 400, and a 65XE. I also have my brother's 400 and 800XL. I've got a Mosaic 64KB expansion board in my 400; it has two modes: you can use the Mosaic bank selection, or set it for XL bank selection. I've got mine of Mosaic mode; I thought about changing it to XL mode, but got the 65XE instead. I have a number of things I hacked to use Mosaic mode that I didn't want to give up on the 400, namely BASIC XL and Action!. Hacking them to use Mosaic banks actually gives you more memory with those than using the carts. :cool:

I have 4. Tricked out 130XE (sadly not functional now, but never gonna part with it and will repair it eventually), 600XL with 64k, and two original 800 XE's.

Depending on the game, I may be persuaded to dish out cash, but it's unlikely to be more than 50 dollars, unless it's a really really REALLY good game and I desperately want it. The cheaper the better in any case, since I'm always strut for cash.

Right now I have and 800XL, Lynx and a 2600. I did have a Jaguar, TT030, Falcon030 (CT60) and STe (case mounted with AdSCSI, gfx card and EtherNEC) at one point, but I had to sell them to fund uni. I was very close to selling the 800XL too, as I hadn't had space for it where I was living, and it was boxed up at my family home. When I got it out to test it all and clean it up to sell I couldn't get rid of it, so now when I go home I grab a chance to hook it up and have a play. Should moving into bigger accom up here with my partner soon, so going to bring all my gear up and hopefully get back into programming 8-bit stuff, uni work permitting.

I really resent not having my TT030 anymore, and I'd love to have one again as I do think they were by far the best computer Atari ever did.

2-400's one 48k with full kb

2 600xl 1 with 64k

3 800xl 1 with 320k

3 800's

2-1200xl

3 XEGS ( 1 new and unopened)

2-130XE

1-65XE

1-1400xl (in 1200 case)

8-1050's ( 3 with us doubler)

2-xf551

1-810

1-SD drive (Sdrive nuxx)

1-5mb ext Winchester HDD ( not sure if it works,boxed up for years)

2-400's one 48k with full kb

2 600xl 1 with 64k

3 800xl 1 with 320k

3 800's

2-1200xl

3 XEGS ( 1 new and unopened)

2-130XE

1-65XE

1-1400xl (in 1200 case)

8-1050's ( 3 with us doubler)

2-xf551

1-810

1-SD drive (Sdrive nuxx)

1-5mb ext Winchester HDD ( not sure if it works,boxed up for years)

where you nick that lot from

Me, just several 130's and a ram and o/s modded 800xl and a sort of working 800