IGNORED

Preference: Commodore 64 or 64C?

Thanks guys, with the comments here I think I am satisfied to definitely keep both, yeah I love the 64 ad both are in excellent condition so yeah I will keep them. Your comments have been great!

Oh wow, this is the first I've seen of this post - weird. But anywho... you reached a consensus I would have gone with and that's keeping 'em both. Not just for backup reasons, but because they're both great to own for different reasons which cosmetically, is one of the biggest reasons. Video output may be a little cleaner with the 64c version actually too IIRC. I know side by side, they certainly look different. Colors may also be toned down a bit. Also, some people like the 64c SID better. I know it too sounds a tad different and again, dare I say "cleaner" and louder. Can anyone confirm this? As if the signal to noise ratio is a little better at the expense of dynamic range. In other words, the revised SID sounds "louder" because it seems to bring quieter volumes more to the front... much the same way dynamic range has been crushed/compressed in modern recording (especially CD's - blech). You know... where every instrument sounds as loud as the next? Not cool. Especially to an audiophile.

This same phenomenon harkens back to the SNES vs. Genesis argument sound wise. A lot of sheeple thought the Genny sounded "better" because it was louder than the SNES. Nevermind this little thing called distortion that the genital pubic has totally embraced today ;)

Edited by save2600

My Favorites is the C64G .

There are lot of variant of the C64. Here a picture of Commodore machine using the same case in different colors.

And the more recent is the G , not the C . (The SID on the G sounds different from previous version , and certain special effect does not sound well in fact (due to volume issues i guess) ).

c64_and_co.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I wasn't sure if this was mentioned. The 64C has stronger vertical stripes on the background when used with a SCART-cable. I noticed, that with all the breadboxes I've seen, the stripes are more inconspicuous than in 64C. The C128 also has it pretty bad and the stripes are much more noticeable than in regular C64. I've had several 64C's and 128's go through my hands, and they all showed the same symptoms.

So in that regard, any PAL-user who plans to use their CRT with a SCART should consider getting the breadbox.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I wasn't sure if this was mentioned. The 64C has stronger vertical stripes on the background when used with a SCART-cable. I noticed, that with all the breadboxes I've seen, the stripes are more inconspicuous than in 64C. The C128 also has it pretty bad and the stripes are much more noticeable than in regular C64. I've had several 64C's and 128's go through my hands, and they all showed the same symptoms.

Seems to be the norm with these later 80's or second-generation systems (where they re-released the same system). C64c, C128, Atari's XE's, including the XEGS. And I just noticed the stripes on a Genesis Model 2. I bet 3 has 'em as well. Nintendo's 8-bit top loader definitely has 'em and I noticed that back in the day too.

WTF is going on here? What kind of circuitry design change would affect all of these so negatively, yet consistently? It's really quite annoying.

Cheaper shielding would be my guess.

I thought that might have been part of the equation a little back and as an experiment one day, I encased a C64c mobo with a larger/thicker shield from an A500. No change. And curiously, some breadbox C64's have paper lined foil for their shielding and most all of them look great. Weird stuff.

Cheaper shielding would be my guess.

I thought that might have been part of the equation a little back and as an experiment one day, I encased a C64c mobo with a larger/thicker shield from an A500. No change. And curiously, some breadbox C64's have paper lined foil for their shielding and most all of them look great. Weird stuff.

I thought the problem with Atari XE's was the 'washed out' colours (there again, i do recall hearing that is a colour tuner built into the underside of the XE case somewhere, can't remember where though, you need a small watch screwdriver to use with the tuner though)

I thought the problem with Atari XE's was the 'washed out' colours (there again, i do recall hearing that is a colour tuner built into the underside of the XE case somewhere, can't remember where though, you need a small watch screwdriver to use with the tuner though)

Carmel, I think you're thinking of the hue adjustment that's accessible with a tiny screwdriver on the underside of the A8's.

I first though it was the RF-unit leaking the signal. Then I remembered someone mentioning, that one of the chips was the culprit and that it was hard to determine how to actually fix it as there were a lot of places the signal might get the interference.

edit: And of course the signal from the C64 is just regular composite, so it really doesn't matter if you have AV or SCART connection. It's just a norm in Europe to go with the DIN -> SCART as every TV supports it.

Edited by Finn

I first though it was the RF-unit leaking the signal. Then I remembered someone mentioning, that one of the chips was the culprit and that it was hard to determine how to actually fix it as there were a lot of places the signal might get the interference.

Would it be possible to take the offending chip out of a C128 and replace it with one from a C64?

Would it be possible to take the offending chip out of a C128 and replace it with one from a C64?

Unlikely, because the same effect is seen on 64C that should be more compatible with the original 64. Even with C64 -> C64C, you'd pretty much need to change it chip by chip and see if the damn thing even works after that! But I don't see this as a big problem when you can usually find C64's cheap and most people only use them for games so there's no real reason to get any of the other models. Unless you're a collector of course.

• 6 years later...

I much more prefer the 64c Keyboard. I read an older post saying they were the same, but I could tell the difference. I absolutely HATE the original 64 keyboard. I prefer the looks of the 64c as well. I actually have the 1541 Ultimate II+ on order and can not wait till it gets here.

Holy Necrobump!

I originally added that I ended up getting both but reading my original post again just now I see that was not my question. Sadly BOTH have just sat collecting dust as does most of my collection trapped in this weird limbo where I am not in a financial position any longer to add to it nor do I have any spare space left yet at the same time I do not have the motivation to attempt to part with it lol. Well maybe some day I will do something with it all..............

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1