IGNORED

Intellivision Ebay Roundup

Was I bidding against you?

Sorry, yes. I feel bad I may have cost you some money although I still think it was a good price that you got it for. I thought it would go much higher as it shows up so rarely so I suspect it was money well spent. I was surprised others didn't bid.

i wondering if he just picked a bad time to sell a high price item. Well im sure the snipers and resellers are watching it and place their bids in the final minute. maybe it goes for 1200. but if it goes for under a 1000 i will say one of the deals of the year.

That seller is willing to sell outside ebay. I bought a few things from him outside ebay. I got Tutakham, 2 Super Cobras and Learning Fun I through him. He discounts the price as he will not have to pay ebay fees.

Wow, someone got a good deal on a CIB Spiker ($850).....unless I'm missing something.

Just missing custom taxes. The seller just picked a bad time to sell. Seems like all spikers that sold for 1200 had nr and .01 starting bid... but non sold at the hieight of holidays, or it could be a sign of spiker price deflation which means more buyers can complete their collections.

I think there are a few factors at play

1. By now in the holiday season, many people are pretty much tapped from buying gifts for others, so little money left to splurge on a $1000+ Spiker for themselves.

2. Many of those willing/able to spend big bucks on CIB Spikers already have one and won't spend near as much on a second copy.

3. The remaining pool of people who want/need one aren't willing to pay more than $850.

The end result is that I would question whether Spiker is really securely a $1500 game. Personally, I feel it's value is at least $850 since the above factors were likely a factor with this auction, but $1500 may be a stretch. It seemed for years that $500-800 was a more realistic price, but it shot up in recent years....possibly a little too fast? The huge comeback (largely due to Atariage and to the Homebrew scene among other reasons) has increased the collector denominator, and I think that boom in interest fueled the price spike (pun intended), but even if I had the money I'd be very skeptical of paying $1500 for Spiker. I'd feel much more comfortable (from an investment perspective) paying <$1000.

Not trying to dis Spiker or verbally devalue it, just my two cents. I'm no economist :)

My current plan is to find a loose Spiker cart. I'd pay $250 max, although I know going rate has been $400-650. I'm hoping that one day I find one at a yard sale for $2. That's a much more interesting story than "I paid $1500 on eBay". Unfortunately, it's much less likely a scenario :P

Edited by JasonlikesINTV
  • Like 2

Regarding Sears Backgammon....I would guess that one, maybe two copies at $70 would completely saturate the $70 market. Put another way, if I had 5 copies to put up for auction back to back, I would expect prices to go like this:

1st copy = $70

2nd copy = $50

3rd copy = $45

4th copy = $40

5th copy = $35

I'm guessing that there is currently a dry spell, but if you satisfy just a few people you would see prices drop to an average of around $35-45 pretty quickly. Just because there is one, maybe two people out there willing to pay more than $50 I wouldn't call the overall value of the game $70...just pent up demand. The Jetsons does a similar thing. In dry spells it pushes $175, but if a bunch come up all at once the price drops to $100-130.

Boxpressed makes a good point in that another way to guage value is the price at which you see people start to let their copies go. This has definitely happened with Spiker in recent years. It's not like people are finding new ones, rather I bet most are people who got them around $500-1000 and knew they could sell one at $1500.

If I had an extra Backgammon, I'd sell it for $70 in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't let my primary go for that. It's not like I think I'd never find one again, but I'm happy to have completed my Sears collection and wouldn't want to have to hunt for months to find another one for $40, just to have made a $30 profit. I spent way too much time (and money, but mostly time) aggressively hunting for deals on games in the last 2-3 years. I need a break :grin: