TI-Basic game: Sokoban

lucien2

I think this classic puzzle game is missing in the TI game library

Rule(s): Push all the yellow boxes on the pink areas

Here are the first two versions: Sokoban.zip

SOKO6: 1 built-in level, and that's all

SOKO8: 1 built-in level, save the screen, show the menu, go back to game

This is far from being finished, still 11K of RAM to fill

If you like this game, you can try my iphone version: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sokoban-lb-lite/id400319369?mt=8

Thanks to:

- kl99, for sending a link to this forum to the TI european mailing list a few weeks ago

- Tursi, for his great emulator

- Opry99er, for animating this forum, giving me back the cyan fever

EDIT: The link to itms:// does not work, trying http://

EDIT2: http works, trying link without text

EDIT3: OK, links must have a text string (sorry for my bad english)

Edited by lucien2

Just took a look at the listing... Using data statement strings, distinct call char / color lines are less (memory) efficient than some other storage implementations (loops / data). If you want lots of levels, you'll need to alter your architecture, and better sooner than later (as I learned).

-H

Surprisingly good execution. Very playable - though I've played this exact game on many platforms before, so for now and from me ...

Length 1/10

Story 3/10

Replay Value 1/10

Gameplay Mechanics 9/10

Graphics 7/10

Addictiveness 1/10

Program size 10/10

Program readability 8/10

New levels could make this "TI Basic game of the year".

:)

a French company Exelvision had built computers ( exeltel and exl100 )with the microprocessor Texas Tms 7020,7040 and the vdp tms3556, He was a former engineer Texas France ( TIF ).

Make an emulator was, and a programmer jester has made a game sokoban for these machines.This game is in assembleur.

look this image

soko1.gif

You'll find all the information about the designer of the emulator http://dcexel.free.fr/

and this video demo with the Tms3556 vdp

jean louis

Edited by humeur

Do you have the source available in an ASCII / text file? I'd be happy to dig in and look - but using the command line editor is way harder to read code in.

-Howie

Thank you. Fast-Slow-Txt.zip

I always use Classic99 in overdrive mode, so I didn't remark when it became slower. The only difference I see is the code size.

I tried to comment the string concatenation on line 1210, but it makes no difference.

I tried manipulating only numeric variables in a small and very large program. TIB only. No difference. Then I added string manipulation. The large program became almost 10 percent slower. I guess the large program leaves about 1K of free memory. The difference between the small and large programs were data statements only (I was lazy). Nothing too conclusive about this, other than string manipulation might be the thing that kicks in the garbage collector, and this of course kicks in more often when memory is low.

I tried manipulating only numeric variables in a small and very large program. TIB only. No difference. Then I added string manipulation. The large program became almost 10 percent slower. I guess the large program leaves about 1K of free memory. The difference between the small and large programs were data statements only (I was lazy). Nothing too conclusive about this, other than string manipulation might be the thing that kicks in the garbage collector, and this of course kicks in more often when memory is low.

I removed all string manipulations and gosubs, no difference.

With the trick "746 A=A+8" "GOSUB 746", we see that the memory left is 3736 and 8184 when we press a key (without DSRs).

Great, all this programming effort for a game unplayable at real speed... Next project: do it in assembly. :|

Slow-Fast 2.zip

Trick ? Are you doing GOSUB without RETURN ?

Unfortunately I haven't got time to analyze the problem, but I guess it would be possible to narrow it down - one way or another.

I haven't settled for any particular kind of BoCC game entry, and as time flies, I'm beginning to doubt I will seriously put all the time into it. The idea was to have a small engine do something, probably something puzzle oriented since the word "action" mostly is out of the equation, - and then fill the memory with "candy" (nice graphics, sounds and maybe some music). - Sure would be nice to know what slows TI Basic ...

:)

Edited by sometimes99er