IGNORED

Finally got an 800XL!....

ataridave

Hello. Does anyone knows who can I find the MYDOS version for eprom? I wnat to make one multi OS version for my 130XE, using a 27C512 eprom with QMEG 4.04, BOSS II XL-XE, STOCK, and also the MYDOS 4.something. Any help are welcome! :)

MYDOS isn't an Operating System, it is a DISK Operating System. It needs to work with the OS, not replace it.

Ooops! Sorry. :roll:

Many of the XL incompatible games have been patched.

Thanks that's a useful thread :thumbsup:

Actually, very few games need an 800 or a translator disk.

In this thread I listed some of the four player simultaneous games which you need an 800 for to have maximum fun ;)

Plus there are still a few out there that are unpatched... e.g.

Atarian Attack, Galactic Explorer, Ghost Hunter I&II, Hunchback, Kamikaze, K-Razy Kritters, MASH, Match UP, Jumping Jack's Big Adventure, QBert (ver with the menu), Space Combat, Space Zap ... Crush Crumble and Chomp and plenty of BASIC programs too.

Fandal's site seems to have most of the patched versions of the others :)

p.s. fixed version of Shadow World here on atarionline.pl

I tried K-Razy Kritters, and you are correct, it won't play even with a Translator B nor Omnimon, has to have an actual

800. There are 100s , maybe 2000 or more games available that are cracked and runnable on an 800XL/130XE. Using all

four joystick ports may not be what the original poster wants to do. I don't have four joysticks and my grandkids

quit playing with my A8s. I doubt there's a 'patched' K-Razy Kritters. Fandal's version is also 800/400 only.

The resurection of the A8s continues with YOOMP and Ocean Detox and Gwobby Strikes Back. New games will play on 800XL

(even a NTSC YOOMP now), although some demos may require extended memory. There are only a few old games (Gator?) that

require 128K. I'd say the most important addition to an 800XL would be an APE or SIO2PC interface or a SIO2XX adapter.

• 1 month later...

Almost all the games are available for free on the net.

As far as I know, not officially. Dave4shmups perfers the actual carts.

Anyway, I wouldn't give up hope on the system. Some games like Archon, Spy vs. Spy I & II, Rescue on Fractalus, Robotron, Star Raiders, Final Legacy, and Lode Runner can still be found for reasonable prices (and there's a seller with a bunch of copies of Juno First). Proto games have repros available at places like B&C (www.myatari.com). As was said, only a few games (including Gorf, disk Frogger, some disks of Zaxxon, and Astro Chase) support only 400/800 and a translator disk can solve the problems of some of the disk based games (do any disk translators work with carts?). If you plan to get Dig Dug, keep in mind there are two versions.

Edited by BrianC

• 2 weeks later...

Almost all the games are available for free on the net.

As far as I know, not officially. Dave4shmups perfers the actual carts.

Anyway, I wouldn't give up hope on the system. Some games like Archon, Spy vs. Spy I & II, Rescue on Fractalus, Robotron, Star Raiders, Final Legacy, and Lode Runner can still be found for reasonable prices (and there's a seller with a bunch of copies of Juno First). Proto games have repros available at places like B&C (www.myatari.com). As was said, only a few games (including Gorf, disk Frogger, some disks of Zaxxon, and Astro Chase) support only 400/800 and a translator disk can solve the problems of some of the disk based games (do any disk translators work with carts?). If you plan to get Dig Dug, keep in mind there are two versions.

You're right BrianC, I am interested in the actual carts. I picked up Final Legacy, and I LOVE it!! I am also interested in disk games, but I'm still unclear as to which disk drive I would need. 4Jay's sells the 1050 disk drive, but it comes with a DOS disk, and I don't know if I would need that to play games. :?

I am also interested in disk games, but I'm still unclear as to which disk drive I would need. 4Jay's sells the 1050 disk drive, but it comes with a DOS disk, and I don't know if I would need that to play games. :?

Commercial disk based games are bootable, if they require DOS it is already on the disk. I would think the only time a DOS disk would be required is for non-commercial games, with only DOS executable binary files stored on the disk. There are also disks are available made by users groups, and others, that have multiple games on them. These generally use a mini-DOS/boot loader that brings up a menu for selecting the game to run.

DOS comes with the drive so that you can store your own files/BASIC programs/etc. on disk, and can be used to add/remove files from the multi-game menu type disks allowing you to create a disk with the games you want on it.

Most commercial games disks are single sided single density to be compatible with all drives made for the Atari, there were a few that required Atari's "dual"/1050 density and would not work with drives incapable of that format. I am not aware of any commercial software/games that required double density, but I'm not saying they don't exist.

There are also some commercial games that, due to copy protection or other reasons, have trouble running on specific models of drives.

I don't believe there are many commercial disk based games that don't work with a stock 1050 FDD, Atari made efforts to keep the 1050 compatible with disk based software already available when it was introduced, and software companies also tried to keep their software compatible with the 1050 afterward because it was a commonly available Atari made drive owned by a large number of users. It is when all the third-party upgrades for the 1050 are considered that there are issues, some software doesn't run on a "Happy" 1050 unless it is configured to "Un-Happy" mode.

Edited by BillC

I found out that Rescue on Fractalus was released in cartridge format-what other games that were originally on disks were re-released on cartridge? I'd love to know; I've decided against getting a disk drive, and only want to stick to cartridge games.

www.myatari.com and their ebay store sells the cart Rescue on Fractalus (and other atari XL/XE carts) at a reasonable price new. Other games originally on disk officially re-released on cart are Archon, Caverns of Mars, Eastern Front 1941, Lode Runner, Ballblazer, David's Midnight Magic, Blue Max, Karateka (rare), Summer Games (extremely rare), Star Raiders II, Necromancer, and One on One (Dr. J. vs. Larry Bird).

I just use a stock 1050 for disk games. Some cart games (not many) like Zaxxon and Frogger are paired down compared to the disk version. However the disk Frogger doesn't like newer machines (though may work with a translator disk) and the cart version is fine with XL/XE and is still extremely good.

Edited by BrianC

I found out that Rescue on Fractalus was released in cartridge format-what other games that were originally on disks were re-released on cartridge? I'd love to know; I've decided against getting a disk drive, and only want to stick to cartridge games.

www.myatari.com and their ebay store sells the cart Rescue on Fractalus (and other atari XL/XE carts) at a reasonable price new. Other games originally on disk officially re-released on cart are Archon, Caverns of Mars, Eastern Front 1941, Lode Runner, Ballblazer, David's Midnight Magic, Blue Max, Karateka (rare), Summer Games (extremely rare), Star Raiders II, Necromancer, and One on One (Dr. J. vs. Larry Bird).

I just use a stock 1050 for disk games. Some cart games (not many) like Zaxxon and Frogger are paired down compared to the disk version. However the disk Frogger doesn't like newer machines (though may work with a translator disk) and the cart version is fine with XL/XE and is still extremely good.

OK, thanks! What's the best version of Dig Dug available for the 800XL? 4jays sells the 1050 disk drive, with the power supply and SIO cable, for $55.00-that's without shipping and handling. Is that a reasonable price? Because that seems awfully steep for such an old disk drive.

The version of Dig Dug based on GCC's 5200 port is the best. I like the music in the other one, though. Both versions are pretty common and on cart. Silver labelled carts are probably all the newer one, but it's on brown cart as well. Both use the same product number, though. I got the newer one from 4jays when I asked since they had 5 carts, but I'm not sure if they have any more of them.

I have Karateka on disk, but heard the cart is the same. A800 version is very nice. It's much better than the 7800 port. Keyboard is the best way to play it, though.

Edited by BrianC

OK, thanks! What's the best version of Dig Dug available for the 800XL? 4jays sells the 1050 disk drive, with the power supply and SIO cable, for $55.00-that's without shipping and handling. Is that a reasonable price? Because that seems awfully steep for such an old disk drive.

Did you request anything from the surplus Atari gear that Bob1200XL is giving away? Info in the following thread: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/168455-cleaning-out-the-attic/page__p__2083064__fromsearch__1#entry2083064

If not you could try requesting a 1050 from him, most requests have been for 1200XLs since these are more difficult to find.

Yes - I have a lot of 1050s, but the problem is finding good ones. I can test a 1200XL resonably well in 10 minutes or so. 1050s are not so simple. The only ones that I can trust are the ones I use on a regular basis and I have questions about them sometimes. If I could just pick one off the shelf and ship it, I would get into the 1050s.

At some point in time, I'll develop a good test process for 1050s and get some of them back in use. It won't be soon or easy...

Bob

Did you request anything from the surplus Atari gear that Bob1200XL is giving away? Info in the following thread: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/168455-cleaning-out-the-attic/page__p__2083064__fromsearch__1#entry2083064

If not you could try requesting a 1050 from him, most requests have been for 1200XLs since these are more difficult to find.

• 3 weeks later...

What's the best cassette tape drive to get for the 800XL? 4jays sells the 410 and the 1010, but I have no idea what the differences between the two are. What kind of cable would I need to hook either one of these up to my 800XL?

1010 for sure. There are 2 models - one made in Japan (Sanyo, orange sticker inside the window) and one made in Hong Kong (by ????, silver sticker inside the window). I don't know which is better, but I put my money on Japan.

The 1010 is more reliable than the 410, in my experience. Can't say for the newer ones (XC11 or XC12) because they're not popular enough to ever see them for sale around here (U.S.).

In my experience the XC12s keep going for ever. I've never replaced belts in one yet. That said I much prefer the 1010. It feels much more solid and well built plus it has pass through SIO so doesn't end the chain. They did have an issue with buttons breaking but given the amount of use they'll likely get nowadays that may not be an issue.

BTW: DejaVu here. Didn't you just ask this very question in another thread?

Edited by spookt