IGNORED

Your best thrift find ever

tz101

Like the title says.

My best was a 5200 Zaxxon loose cart at GW a year ago for $2.

2nd place probably goes to N64 Conker's Bad Fur Day at a SA store for $1.

Then, I found a NIB 2600 game storage center with acrylic top and woodgrain front at GW for $5.

That's about the best of the best for now...

If I narrowed it down to a handful starting with #1:

I got a 640x480 video projector from goodwill for $20. It used inexpensive dental light bulbs. I'm on my 3rd projector now--talk about a gateway drug.

I also picked up 2 nearly complete Losi XX4 RC buggies for $15 each. I still have it (and the box of spare parts left over from combining them).

1970's Dai Ichi Pachinko machine for $25. It probably isn't worth much more than that, but it works and I like it quite a bit.

Sega saturn with modchip and VCD card for $6. A whole binder of rather professionally stamped pirate games wasn't far away. I'd guess that was another $20

And lastly I picked up one of those Virtual Boy rental units in the hard case for $50 with a few common games.

The best thrift find I ever had was the one that got me into the hobby. A local thrift store in central michigan (FARRs) had an Intellivision II and about a dozen games for it. I had never seen anything like it. The idea that video games existed before the NES was something that had never entered my mind. I'm sure I got the whole thing for under $10, probably $5. I also got an obsession that hasn't left me to this day.

This was probably around 1998, IIRC. I still have the INTV, but the RF jack crumbled. Need to get it video modded so I can hook it up again. 16 direction control pad with numerical entry? Video games from Mattel? Still blows my mind.

Edited by Hatta

Probably the time I found CIB Atari 2600 games at a Value Village. They were in clear plastic baggies, two CIB games per baggy @ 69 cents per package. I bought a couple dozen games including some nice Activision ones like Double Dragon, Kung Fu master, Rampage, and River Raid II. I also had a half off coupon so got them for about 35 cents each :D

There was another time with a local mom and pop Bible's for Missions Thrift store where I asked if they had any games in the back and I walked back to a massive Atari collection - 2600, 7800, 8-bit. I eventually bought everything. A hundred or so 2600 games, a couple dozen 7800 games, a couple dozen 8-bit games (including Captain Beeble) as well as several 2600's, 7800's, as well as several XE/XE computers of all types. I don't remember all of what I spent but I know it was under a hundred bucks all together.

A good recent one was a loose Vulture Attack for $5

Edited by AtariLeaf

I've never found anything really great that was game-related at a thrift shop. I've had a few memorable finds:

Daggerfall, complete in box -- probably only $1 or so (this was about 10 years ago)

ROB, no accessories -- about $5 in the toy section

River Raid II, Space Shuttle and a few other R6 cartridges -- about $4-5 each

I've done far better in terms of finding books, and I've even found a few pieces of original art that currently adorn my walls.

The bulk of my Sega Saturn collection. I walked into a goodwill and just about got whiplash walking past the glass case.. just over 40 games, in nice jewel cases... few sports titles, $1.99 each.

That or perhaps my 5 ft Sonic plush I got for $7.99 I dunno... he's not in perfect shape... got some repair stitching.

Does the flea market count?

If so, then I got a great deal on a whole Intellivision setup with all boxed games once for $10.

There was about 30 games including all the Imagic ones (with a perfect boxed Fathom :lust: ) plus several other real rare ones.

The guy was selling the setup in a sort of bookshelf type thing from the 80's, and gave me that as well. :P

Edited by Tubular Gearhead

Alright, I know this doesn't really count as a thrift find, but I just had to throw this one out there.

I snatched this up last month. 49 games, $39.99

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1304516437701?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=130451643770&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Read it and weep... :D

BTW, the River Patrol is immaculate. ;)

Edited by Tubular Gearhead

Boy, this is waaaaaaaaaay too many beers ago (beers coincides with years), but I know I landed a T-handled Condor Attack at a flea market for next to nothing. This would be circa '92-'93. But to tell you the truth, my most favorite "thrift" find ever, has to be my 2600 Coleco 'Front Line' and Roc 'N Rope carts that I scored at our now defunct (they moved) GoodWill. Even though they were loose, they were in perfectly mint condition. Bought 'em for only a buck or two. Was especially cool to me because by the mid 90's, I hadn't even known they were available for the 2600! Back then, seemed to me that they were as cool as prototypes or something. lol

It's not always how cheaply you've gotten something of value for, but how much genuine joy it brings :)

Front Line and Roc 'N Rope are great 2600 games. Will never forget finding those beauties sitting all alone. Right there. On that chinsey old, dusty aluminum BadWill shelving. :rolling:

Another favorite of mine is Pengo. I had it back in the day, but found it again, stuffed in a drawer at the Salavating Amy in Beloit, WI. lol I've bought the likes of Mr. Do's Castle, River Patrol, Taz, Gremlins, Montezuma's Revenge, Up N Down, Spy Hunter, Final Approach, Survival Run and others I can't remember now. But Front Line, Roc N Rope and Pengo are still a few of my most favs.

Have yet to find a Chase The Chuckwagon though :mad:

Edited by save2600

One that I actually found was a boxed C64 breadbin, one of the first 2200 units produced, and perfect working condition (including power supply) for ten bucks. Lately a friend of mine who works at a Goodwill picked up a boxed Fairchild Channel F System II with all hookups, two controllers with a red button on the front (in addition to the standard ones), anda few game cartridges (including Alien Invasion) for five bucks.

One that I actually found was a boxed C64 breadbin, one of the first 2200 units produced, and perfect working condition (including power supply) for ten bucks. Lately a friend of mine who works at a Goodwill picked up a boxed Fairchild Channel F System II with all hookups, two controllers with a red button on the front (in addition to the standard ones), anda few game cartridges (including Alien Invasion) for five bucks.

Thats a great deal! I just recently got into the Channel F- it sure is funky, but there is something really retro-cool about playing Alien Invasion on it... :)

BTW I think threads like this are great. I know my wife just shakes her head at my game collecting, but it is nice to be able to share the excitement of these great finds with people who understand. :lolblue: :thumbsup: