IGNORED

Excercises in 'Programming the 6502' by Rodnay Zaks

Marius

Hi

I decided to start reading the book "Programming the 6502" by Rodnay Zaks. As far as I know this is a 'keywork' into learning the 6502. I have already "some" experience with 6502 coding, but I thought: let's do it good this time, and don't miss anything in the basics. so there I go...

In the first excercise on page 11 I read Excersise 1.1 : What does "1111 1110" represent.

At that point in the book the only thing discussed is the worth of all the bits. So when you calculate that with the information so far, the answer must definately be 254.

On page 25 (Answers to excercises) I read:

1.1: 127

Ok... a mistake in the book. Not a big deal. But... now I'm afraid this book has more errors. I think i have the first edition of the book.

Is there a newer edition available? Online perhaps? Or is there an 'erratum' available?

In the past I learned Machine Language with a book called "Machinetaal voor Atari XL/XE computers" ... this book was really FULL of errors. They drove me crazy.

So I'm afraid this book (Programming the 6502 by Rodnay Zaks) is also full of errors.

Any feedback is welcome!

Thanks

Marius

Hi

I decided to start reading the book "Programming the 6502" by Rodnay Zaks. As far as I know this is a 'keywork' into learning the 6502. I have already "some" experience with 6502 coding, but I thought: let's do it good this time, and don't miss anything in the basics. so there I go...

In the first excercise on page 11 I read Excersise 1.1 : What does "1111 1110" represent.

At that point in the book the only thing discussed is the worth of all the bits. So when you calculate that with the information so far, the answer must definately be 254.

Ok... a mistake in the book. Not a big deal. But... now I'm afraid this book has more errors. I think i have the first edition of the book.

Is there a newer edition available? Online perhaps? Or is there an 'erratum' available?

In the past I learned Machine Language with a book called "Machinetaal voor Atari XL/XE computers" ... this book was really FULL of errors. They drove me crazy.

So I'm afraid this book (Programming the 6502 by Rodnay Zaks) is also full of errors.

Any feedback is welcome!

Thanks

Marius

Grabbed my copy off the bookshelf. It says "fourth edition" and ©1983 Sybex

Exercise 1.1 is on page 13 and asks for the decimal value of "11111100". The answers show this as 252.

I have the fourth edition, also. A few errors in the book are good for you! It keeps you from sleepwalking through the text.

You really need three or four books to get the whole picture. Some give a lot of hardware information, some have assembler - it's a big subject.

Bob

Hi

Any feedback is welcome!

Thanks

Marius

I have the fourth edition also. I agree that a selection of books is helpful. The others I have are:

6502 Assembly Language Programming by Lance A. Leventhal, ISBN 0-07-881216-X

6502 Assembly Language Subroutines by Lance A. Leventhal and Winthrop Saville, ISBN 0-931988-59-4

Advanced 6502 Programming by Rodnay Zaks, ISBN 0-89588-089-X