IGNORED

Faulty reset button on 7800

Cynicaster

My sister picked up a used 7800 and it works great except for the reset button. As it turns out, this doesn't really matter much for a lot of 7800 games because they can be started with the joystick buttons, but it's obviously a problem when trying to play a lot of 2600 titles.

I opened the case to have a look, and it almost looks like somebody spilled something on this thing, because there is some staining on the board. Anyway, I verified by pressing directly on the switch that it doesn't work. It's soldered to the board at 4 points. Anybody have any suggestions about what I should do? I figured that if the switch itself is ruined, worst case scenario is I could go to Radio Shack and pick up a momentary switch, drill a hole in the case, and install a new button. I'd prefer it not come to that, though.

Fortunately, you can still get replacement switches that are an exact match for the ones Atari used in the 7800; just desolder the old one, solder in the new one, and it should be as good as new. Here is the correct part number from Mouser Electronics. They're so inexpensive that it might not be a bad idea to pick up several, just to keep as spares.

• Like 1

Fortunately, you can still get replacement switches that are an exact match for the ones Atari used in the 7800; just desolder the old one, solder in the new one, and it should be as good as new. Here is the correct part number from Mouser Electronics. They're so inexpensive that it might not be a bad idea to pick up several, just to keep as spares.

Is there a list of part numbers and whatnot and places to get them for all the Atari 7800 parts? I'd love to replace all of the switches on my 7800 if I could. Specifically the maintained power switch.

Do those also work for the 7800 power-on switch? Mine is spotty as far as working only part of the time.

Yes, all four of the main 7800 console buttons (Power, Pause, Select and Reset) use the same type of switch.

Mitch

Even the power switch? That one's not a maintained switch?

Yes, the power switch is identical to the other three.

Mitch