IGNORED

Sega Master System games vs. Genesis games

SlowCoder

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth me to get a SMS. I have a few SMS games that I bought to play on my Game Gear 15 years ago. Obviously this means I should consider getting an SMS, right? icon_razz.gif

I have a Genesis, and am getting games for it. How much crossover is there between the SMS and the Genesis? Original titles on the SMS that I should consider?

Also, I read that the Genesis is capable of playing SMS games, technologically. Apparently the Genesis has backward compatibility built in to some degree. The SMS carts don't fit the slot, but that's what I've heard. Is there an adapter that would allow my SMS games to play on my Genesis?

Yeah, the Power Base Adapter is a cool "must have" for the classic Genny owner. Backwards compatability is one of the reasons the Genny inherited a Z80 CPU. There's not a ton of SMS games I'd bother playing anymore today and out of all of them, this would be just about it:

Y's

Time Soldiers

Montezuma's Revenge

Monopoly

Parlour Games (this game rocks. Spent many an hour playing this with family back in the day)

Alien Syndrome

Dynamite Dux

Ghostbusters

GHouls N Ghosts

Golden Axe - the RPG game

Outrun

Psycho Fox

R-type (awesome conversion)

Rambo III

Rampage

Rampart (another great conversion of an underrated game)

Shinobi

Zillion

...and some of the lightgun games were fun. Gangster Town, etc.

Edited by save2600

If you go the PBC route, just make sure you have a model 1 Genesis system, otherwise you will have to chop the back tab off the converter itself (it obstructs the A/V ports on Model 2 units). Not a fun process in itself and you will most-likely ruin the value of the PBC.

I don't know.. I still prefer playing games on a real SMS. Maybe it's the Sega logo that always comes up at the beginning, or the cheesy snail minigame that's built-in to the system. It's sort of like why I still enjoy playing games more on my 2600 instead of using the 7800 for the same purpose. Of course, being able to set my drinks on that console probably helps, too.

*Edit: I second the notion on the SMS light gun games. It has a great gun and the titles that use it are some of the best of the 8-bit era, and it has a lot of them, too. :thumbsup:

The original Phantasy Star is reason enough to own a Master System. It is one of my favorite games, period. Choplifter, Shinobi, and Reggie Jackson Baseball are also excellent games that I don't believe were mentioned yet. Really, there are quite a few good games for the system, and then if you can score some of the European games...

The original Phantasy Star is reason enough to own a Master System. It is one of my favorite games, period. Choplifter, Shinobi, and Reggie Jackson Baseball are also excellent games that I don't believe were mentioned yet.

Yeah, those are kick ass SMS titles for sure, but Shinobi and Tommy Lasorda really shine comparatively on the Genny.

As does Altered Beast, Golden Axe, etc. The "crossover" games are usually better on the 16-bitter and I think that's what the OP was trying to ask about.

But Shinobi on the SMS is an entirely different game, so it´s still worth it.

Also, as mentioned in another thread, I like Sonic 1 better on SMS than on Genesis. There are also more Sonic-games on the SMS, and those are entirely different from any Genesis-Sonic.

The SMS is generally very recommendable if you like platform games. The Disney games from Sega are all great, the best Disney-games ever to be made. Castle of Illusion, Land of Illusion, Legend of Illusion, Lucky Dime Caper, Deep Duck Trouble...

Ninja Gaiden has a great exclusive SMS-part, and Double Dragon is good too. Golden Axe Warrior is like Zelda 1 with better graphics, and the Wonder Boy series is a true classic.

Phantasy Star easily beats any of the NES-RPGs, and Ultima IV is a cool port of a computer classic.

I also recommend Master odf Darkness, a very good Castlevana-clone

There is really cool stuff on the system, eventhough it does not have nearly as many games as the NES.

The best way to go, though more expensive, is to get the Everdrive, and play both Genesis and SMS games on a Genesis.

Or even more expensive and get a Neo Myth MD 3-in-1. The nice thing about the MD Myth is that it includes the FM chip so that SMS games that use FM actually have the FM chip on the MD in SMS mode. So if the FM is important to you, that's one consideration. Note that the Nomad doesn't have the audio input lines on the cart port, so while the Nomad can use the MD Myth (you need to make a mod to connect the SMS mode line from the port to the ASIC for SMS games), you don't get FM sound despite having the FM chip. I need to look into a sound mod for the Nomad to add that. Maybe pay Tiido for that seeing how good his CCAM for the MD2 is. :)

The original Phantasy Star is reason enough to own a Master System. It is one of my favorite games, period. Choplifter, Shinobi, and Reggie Jackson Baseball are also excellent games that I don't believe were mentioned yet.

Yeah, those are kick ass SMS titles for sure, but Shinobi and Tommy Lasorda really shine comparatively on the Genny.

As does Altered Beast, Golden Axe, etc. The "crossover" games are usually better on the 16-bitter and I think that's what the OP was trying to ask about.

To be fair, the Genesis "Shinobi" games are some of the best on the system, but they're not the original arcade game. For whatever reason they never ported that one to the Genesis... so the SMS version is the best you'll get outside of emulation.