IGNORED

atari 400 keyboard

asshat

i have an atari 400 with a broken keyboard, would it be possible to hack an atari 800 keyboard to work? i know it will not physically fit without modifications but would it work electrically?

I did this modification way back in 1983- I used an atari 1200 keyboard (bought @ flea market) and velcroed it where the old membrane keyboard was. Electrically, yes, the number of pins is the same on several of the Atari 8-bit keyboards, although the actual connector may be different. It seems like I had to change the end on the 1200 keyboard to plug it into the edge connector for the old membrane one. :ponder:

It wasn't too hard...

Replacement 800 keyboards pop up all the time for around $20 I believe. Seems like a good way to go. :thumbsup:

Edited by Tubular Gearhead

i have an atari 400 with a broken keyboard, would it be possible to hack an atari 800 keyboard to work? i know it will not physically fit without modifications but would it work electrically?

I have a few 400 keyboards lying around. If you pay for shipping I'll send you one. PM me if interested.

I did this modification way back in 1983- I used an atari 1200 keyboard (bought @ flea market) and velcroed it where the old membrane keyboard was. Electrically, yes, the number of pins is the same on several of the Atari 8-bit keyboards, although the actual connector may be different. It seems like I had to change the end on the 1200 keyboard to plug it into the edge connector for the old membrane one. :ponder:

It wasn't too hard...

Replacement 800 keyboards pop up all the time for around $20 I believe. Seems like a good way to go. :thumbsup:

i kinda thought that might be the case, i looked through the atari 400/800 service manual and the keyboard interface schematics for the 400 / 800 are almost identical. does anyone know where i can get a readable copy of this manual? mine is so fuzzy its worthless.