IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

• 3 weeks later...

@HOUDINI, I raised your privileges. ;)

You MAY ACCESS ANY AREA (NOT Including Section 31, of course)

Access Granted.

New Stuff Soon...

Edit: TYPO

Thanks Beavis! I plan on making the rounds on all 8-bit BBS's after the Labor Day holiday when I have some days off. It's awesome to relive those memories and talk with some of the people who shared them.

- Budburns (Houdini)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

as you may or may not know I have had a hand in a multitude of facets in the tech industry... and I come to the BBS community here on the subject and issue of using serial to lan conversion and all the problems people appear to have with using lantronix, perle, and the multitude of other wifi devices et. al.

all of the device encapsulate serial data in one form or another.... but... you can usually select a raw mode, a telnet mode, and translated modes...

can you see where this is going?

each of these devices have been set up by different BBS's on different systems catering to different terminals with different needs.... this made a mess..

lets go with one of them...

telnet.. terminal type and translation as well as the evil null character and it's effect on the Atari 8 bit data stream...

telnet often pads a cr with a null... and in fact you normally only get two choices --- cr with line feed --- and cr with null... you just don't know it... but you will! /r /0 and why it needs to go..

want to know why you can't upload or download? want to know why hearts are showing up in you atascii graphics extravaganza?

short answer telnet padding.... yep it appends that null to any cr it gets... for the Atari control M is a wonderful graphics character used in drawing pretty screens, it's in the data stream, and lets not even consider control , while that heart is pretty telnet thinks its null....

if you see random hearts in the Atascii screens what can you do? well try doing a raw connection and if it goes away cool, if it doesn't switch to a telnet connection..

that's what might work and that's what you may get told.... and guess what, you may still get nulls (hearts) and you still can't upload download and you get screwed up atascii movies...

what to do?

turn telnet padding off! if your device has the option do it.. Those pesky nulls go away. It gets better if the BBS operator turns padding off and you turn off padding. The whole world improves and miracle of miracles it all starts working.

if you have other issues select a different terminal type till those issues go away, I can't know all the terminal types on all devices so that' my recommendation. Once you can get control M's without hearts(0x00)(NULL) your on your way... and selecting a terminal type that your software likes is the other half of the battle ( ice t normally likes ansi or vt whatever, something along those lines...)

For sysop's I suggest you have a terminal set up test page for your users, the page should have a few lines to test desired behaviors..

two lines of control M's and user should see only the thick upper area line all the way across with no breaks or hearts...

two lines of our beloved heart and the same deal the user should only see hearts

some cursor control test, del back space whatever....

armed with those results they can then set up their device and software correctly. if their device and software permits.

If the BBS community gets on the same page for all platforms and terminals the planets will align the waters will calm - oh you get the idea.

this solves both the hearts and messed up screen issue as well as the upload download issue.

Lets consider flow control.... I suggest hardware or none! Why?

Well you can always buffer or capture the screen and read it from the capture buffer...

software flow control can get confused when uploading, but not so much when downloading.. but it it's off it won't hurt either... but why?

the answer is simpler than you think, packets go across the internet full speed and load up in the devices parsing buffer, where it feeds your serial port at a steady rate from that buffer, so the data arrives as a complete frame or packet and we get spoon fed without knowing it.

The upload download protocols that use error checking and correcting send data in a block and waits for your machine to send a "checksum(crc) special number" that must match to say the data is good or bad. it then either sends a new block of data if good or re sends a block if bad. The very nature of this method is it's own form of flow control....

pretty cool huh? almost like it was designed this way... :)

Okay Mr. know it all smarty pants Doctor, I don't download and hate that I can't stop stuff to read it as I like... I hate this and you Mr. know it all can't help me...

um yes I can... If you don't have hardware flow control and won't be uploading... then by all means... turn on software flow control with pass through or pass through flow control... But how does this help me Mr. smarty pants Doctor?

I stops the data right at your device so you can stop right on each letter/character if you like and it lets the distant bbs stop sending as well so it doesn't overflow your buffer while eating the sandwich, answering a call, scratching your... whatever....

for the most part you can download and using error correcting protocols (I highly suggest y modem batch, even if one file is involved)

You don't want to use software device control with ascii upload download, You will deadlock your device as the protocol already uses control s and q and c... if you deadlock just press control q and c tot get things rolling again either during the capture if your terminal allows or after you abort the transfer. This normally wakes up the device and lets you get back to the BBS and it's menu without having to hang up or call back

Please make sure your device drops connections on dtr drop or cd drop... and that it's hard disconnect option is set if it has one for it's raw or telnet line connection options.... how comes? home comes? because it makes immediate hang up for you and it lets the BBS on the far side know you have hung up so it doesn't sit there waiting for you until it times out a half hour later... because internet packets are not continuously sent the other side needs to be told your gone. (over simplified but essentially all we need to know)

hope the little explanation helps you solve your issues and understand a bit of why...

****someone please feel free to give the short form- do this, this and this post,**** I normally get in trouble when I do that.. folks get the idea there being told to do something and they don't like being told what to do even when they want to know what to do...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

Ok, you guys have made me want to bring back my old AMIS BBS from the early to mid 1980's called Crystal Palace. I still have the original system and disks and I would LOVE to get it running on the original Atari 800. I believe I have it as it was working the day the FBI shut it down in the summer of 1984!

Does anyone have any luck with a modem emulator that would allow me to hook my machine up to the internet? I know I could run it on my Mac in an emulator but that is no fun, I want it on the original equipment.

Thanks all,

Gavin

• Like 5

I tend to like the full featured terminal servers, the older the better... why? they have all the good stuff, dns is always nice

mss100, ets16r...scs200 or similar from other companies. basically console servers.

The highly configurable devices can provide all the goodies, the better ones give you slip etc.. in it's true form... no PC/MAC blah blah needed... and can have your Atari not only do some bbs etc. but do old school internet connections to the now non existent services like genie, aol, compuserve etc. long after the phone line were gone I was still connecting as if nothing changed. some of the irc programs that were almost completed work well enough when paired in this fashion work very nicely.. You can also act like a gateway for people to loop through your server on the 2 or more serial port models This is helpful for dns challenged folks like the uds users.

You can also provide more than one way to connect... lets say someone has a perle device that only wants to do raw mode and your system has always worked best with telnet users, well the server can provide both.. just supply the relevant port number. or set up a menu in the console server and let them choose which way to connect to your bbs, or use you to connect to another bbs from your pass through menu. you can go crazy and provide dial in or dial out from a real old pots modem as well... I better stop before your house becomes a data center...

• Like 1

Ok, you guys have made me want to bring back my old AMIS BBS from the early to mid 1980's called Crystal Palace. I still have the original system and disks and I would LOVE to get it running on the original Atari 800. I believe I have it as it was working the day the FBI shut it down in the summer of 1984!

Does anyone have any luck with a modem emulator that would allow me to hook my machine up to the internet? I know I could run it on my Mac in an emulator but that is no fun, I want it on the original equipment.

Thanks all,

Gavin

Did you run the BBS with an MPP modem or did you use an 850 interface? If you used an 850 interface, then you can probably just hook it up to a Lantronix box or use a PC with APE as the modem interface. If you used an MPP modem, then I'm not sure how to interface your BBS. If I remember correctly, MPP AMIS uses an R: handler replacement for the MPP modem. So, maybe it would just be a matter of running an 850 compatible R: handler instead of the special MPP R: handler. It would also depend on how AMIS answers calls. If it can answer a call in a Hayes compatible fashion (or can be modified to answer a call that way), then that could work. I know there were versions of AMIS that worked with Hayes compatible modems. Anyway, if you can get past these two issues, then I imagine you could then use either a Lantronix box or a PC with APE for the Internet connection.

• Like 1

Did you run the BBS with an MPP modem or did you use an 850 interface? If you used an 850 interface, then you can probably just hook it up to a Lantronix box or use a PC with APE as the modem interface. If you used an MPP modem, then I'm not sure how to interface your BBS. If I remember correctly, MPP AMIS uses an R: handler replacement for the MPP modem. So, maybe it would just be a matter of running an 850 compatible R: handler instead of the special MPP R: handler. It would also depend on how AMIS answers calls. If it can answer a call in a Hayes compatible fashion (or can be modified to answer a call that way), then that could work. I know there were versions of AMIS that worked with Hayes compatible modems. Anyway, if you can get past these two issues, then I imagine you could then use either a Lantronix box or a PC with APE for the Internet connection.

I had a Hayes 1200 Superstack modem connected to my 850, that I still have :) Bet I could do something with my Raspberry Pi for it.

Edited by Gavin1968
  • Like 2