IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

Right in the page you just refered to Tillek .. it says this..

PC to UDS1100 or other DCE DB25:

Use a standard "straight-through" serial cable, often sold as a "Modem Cable". The Lantronix part number for this cable is 500-163-R:

DTE DCE
DB9M DB9F DB25M DB25F
DCD 1<------------<8 DCD
RXD 2<------------<3 RXD
TXD 3>------------>2 TXD
DTR 4>------------>20 DTR
SG 5--------------7 SG
DSR 6<------------<6 DSR
RTS 7>------------>4 RTS
CTS 8<------------<5 CTS

So.. this would say to me... That I would use a STD CX87 MODEM cable.. OR the one I wired up.. the 9pin to 850 pin out to STD 25pin to the UDS-100 .. because I would assume a UDS-100 and a UDS-1100 would be the same.

But you said..

Posted Today, 11:35 AM

Yes, it's a null modem cable.
James
Edited by Bikerbob

Yes, I got confused by what Venkman said in the other thread that he was using a CX-88... which he then stated he was using an MSS-100 (like I do).

So I posted that for clarity. Since the UDS-100 uses a DCE and you're connecting it to a DTE, you need a straight through... which is what I have on my UDS-10 and UDS-1100.

The problem is that in some parts of the UDS-10/100 manual, it also refers to using a null cable in some situations...

Basically, if connecting a UDS device to an 850 or equivalent, use an Atari CX-87 Modem cable. If connecting an MSS device, use a CX-88 cable and a 25 pin gender changer.

BTW, Gender is ONLY variable with RS-232 devices and such, NEVER with Human beings. I love BINARY.

:)

Edit: Clarification.

Edited by Kyle22

Well my connections on the cable are correct.

I am using Atari 800 incognito sparta dos 4.49 loading the HDD partition off the CF.. the hardware is a PR: connection from Serial A: to UDS-100

When I load Bobterm or IceT I can hear the driver being loaded from the PR: maybe I need to try that PRC.SYS or something like that??

IF I go to D6 .. I get nothing happening in terminal. OH I do load into either of the Terminal programs.. so they seem to think there is something there.

IF I go to D7 .. typing in terminal gives me some really weird characters.. but it does show me typing.. nothing equal to what I am typing.. but it shows me characters.

Anyone with any ideas?

James

Ok... update.

post-45982-0-50553700-1556421395_thumb.jpg

This is my device. One thing I noticed in the install device program on the PC .. that my config was a lot more INVOLVED than a lot of people were talking about.. what I found out was that my Firmware on it was Xpress HDR/USD100.. this is an industrial serial device server firmware.. compatible.. Yes.. but not exactly UDS-100.. so I went here.. ftp://ftp.lantronix.com/pub/uds100/5.8.0.7/dlx_5807.rom and downloaded the last firmware for the UDS 100.. and updated it.. Now I get this on the Telnet in.. MUCH smaller than i was getting (less options)

post-45982-0-52228700-1556421558_thumb.jpg

The settings shown are the DEFAULT.. which is setup as a modem emulator .. I was not getting this before.. you will see in connection type it says D6.. this is what I was refering to in the previous post.. D6 is echo no verbose.

But once I had this default setting.. which I had seen in a post that DOC and Dr. V had done.. I knew I was closer.. so I tried ICET.. nope.. same funky characters.. but I also remember a post about that PRC.SYS I know I have it around here somewhere.. on an ICD disk for the PR: just need to get the file over to the CF card. In Bobterm I had more success. but not success yet.

post-45982-0-67105600-1556422070_thumb.jpg

SO.. much closer but no cigar yet.

James

Ok... update.

attachicon.gifUDS100.jpg

This is my device. One thing I noticed in the install device program on the PC .. that my config was a lot more INVOLVED than a lot of people were talking about.. what I found out was that my Firmware on it was Xpress HDR/USD100.. this is an industrial serial device server firmware.. compatible.. Yes.. but not exactly UDS-100.. so I went here.. ftp://ftp.lantronix.com/pub/uds100/5.8.0.7/dlx_5807.rom and downloaded the last firmware for the UDS 100.. and updated it.. Now I get this on the Telnet in.. MUCH smaller than i was getting (less options)

attachicon.giftelnet setup.jpg

The settings shown are the DEFAULT.. which is setup as a modem emulator .. I was not getting this before.. you will see in connection type it says D6.. this is what I was refering to in the previous post.. D6 is echo no verbose.

But once I had this default setting.. which I had seen in a post that DOC and Dr. V had done.. I knew I was closer.. so I tried ICET.. nope.. same funky characters.. but I also remember a post about that PRC.SYS I know I have it around here somewhere.. on an ICD disk for the PR: just need to get the file over to the CF card. In Bobterm I had more success. but not success yet.

attachicon.gifbobterm.jpg

SO.. much closer but no cigar yet.

James

You did what?? Tell me you backed up the firmware using device installer before you blew away the better firmware for the limited firmware...

The IAP versions are the ones to have. You more than likely will not find the firmware you just erased again....

You issues were not the uds or it's firmware, it is either your drive or your cabling, I lean towards your driver at this point. sounds like PR Connection issue.

Edited by _The Doctor__

I have both roms.. not an issue. But the one I flashed is the only way I got it to get this far???

As for the device.. I did check the MAC address and it is a Xpress dr.. so the previous ROM. was the correct one. I can flash it back ..

Point to me is just getting it working. Cable has been checked and re-checked.. as long as I am using the equiv. of CX87.. my cable is correct.

Some of the posts talk about baud. I am set at 9600.. but I could try slower. OR I will just try and get the driver I need.

James

Actually, am I just having one of those bad brain moments, or is the IP 0.0.0.0 with no gateway?

I can't say that would cause an issue with the junky characters.... but it's an issue.

Just out of curiosity, if you just do an AT <CR> with nothing else, do you at least get an OK from the device? Even if you don't actually see the AT displayed?

in Bobterm.. I can do AT commands with FULL DUPLEX ANSI and 9600 baud. If I do an ATDT with no address it puts me in local mode.. NODE 2 or something.. I have not figured out how to get out of it.

I can call Bates motel.. because at the moment thats the only one on paper I have the numbered address for.. it answers.. but the communication I get is garbled.

I tried the PRC.sys.. I got a memory conflict 179.. I think I am not loading it in the right order.. I will re-read the ICD manual.

James

Edited by Bikerbob

in Bobterm.. I can do AT commands with FULL DUPLEX ANSI and 9600 baud. If I do an ATDT with no address it puts me in local mode.. NODE 2 or something.. I have not figured out how to get out of it.

I can call Bates motel.. because at the moment thats the only one on paper I have the numbered address for.. it answers.. but the communication I get is garbled.

I tried the PRC.sys.. I got a memory conflict 179.. I think I am not loading it in the right order.. I will re-read the ICD manual.

James

Do you have a PC with a serial port? If the same issues happen hooking your uds to another terminal, it would rule out any problems on the atari side.

the lantronix devices can have one baud rate for the console interface and a completely different baud rate for the serial tunnel...

The only way I can help is for complete run down of setting for each rom to be posted, possibly in PM.

Currently I have an MSS100 set to Auto baud for connections but 9600 for information and console.

You look like you have the serial port tunnel locked at a different baud then the console...

I you give remote access to the device I can look over your settings... and we can find some answers for you. it is very odd that this is an issue if you've performed a defaults reset and flashed firmware, we would expect it to work with perhaps a translation error in regard to padding etc.

I have seen the outlined behavior before, but the cause can indeed be due to cabling as well as configuration. I had a thin client that acted like that, a cable swap was needed to fix it.

Please remember, your baud rate can be different than the board you are calling as well and everything will be fine.

I will call the BBS IP you listed to make sure there isn't another issue.

The ctrl a ctrl a, is a handshake request from the remote device btw...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

OH weird.. I thought I posted last night... I did get on to other boards!!! Still some issues.. but for the most part seems to work.

1. in Atasci.. if I am at 9600baud some characters seem to get dropped (subbed as hearts) in some of the artwork.. might be a speed issue.

2. depending on the board and the config.. I have had it where I disconnect?? but I dont.. and CTRL H in bobterm will not get me out.. so the only way to get back to AT commands is to restart bobterm and cycle the UDS.

3. STILL no joy with IceT.. I know either yourself or someone else DOC got IceT to work with a UDS.. so I will go back and read those threads again.. no change in it.. still crazy funky characters.. kind of like mismatching baud.. but its not.

Anyway.. progress!!

James

OH weird.. I thought I posted last night... I did get on to other boards!!! Still some issues.. but for the most part seems to work.

1. in Atasci.. if I am at 9600baud some characters seem to get dropped (subbed as hearts) in some of the artwork.. might be a speed issue.

Anyway.. progress!!

James

You see the hearts because you're probably using telnet mode which requires a null character (appears as a heart in ATASCII) to be added when it sees a carriage return (control M) without a linefeed (control J). Also in telnet mode, the ATASCII insert character won't work correctly because it's character 255 which is a special telnet escape sequence. That may also explain some of your dropped characters.

I fixed these issues on my Lantronix UDS-10 by setting my Disconnect Mode to C1. You can read more about the Disconnect Mode in the documentation at http://www.lantronix.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/UDS10-UDS100_UG.pdf.We also discussed this at length earlier this year on The Basement BBS (mesage base #1). Most of the messages are still there (around message #50).

Hope this helps!

-JP

• Like 3

as you are using... mss100... it requires telnet padding toggled

depending on the type of lantronix you need to either select the appropriate port one is raw the other is telnet or you can set telnet padding on or off...

if I recall

a UDS disconnect mode is used to set up the telnet method used

mss 100 is the telnetpad setting

scs usually the padding setting

the null character is appended by telnet when it sees ControL+M in ATASCII

some devices refer to removing the null character as stripping telnet pad as well, it's all the same thing just different ways of getting there and slightly different terminology.

so for mss100

Login to MSS

SET PRIV

enter password

CHANGE TELNETPAD DISABLED or ENABLED

you should be golden

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I think I need new glasses...

Okay, then show us your config, or PM me with a port to remote access the LTX, I can give it a quick once over.

I tend to connect to most BBS at 4800 as a default so that no matter what terminal I use it's more than likely going to be fine. This helps with upload download timing even when the internet is laggy or poor. A BBS is usually best to serve at 9600 or 19,200. But most clients are best set at 4800. The modem or LTX (or similar tunnel box) will normally buffer the data just fine. and you get to enjoy a fast experience.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...