IGNORED

contemporary game programmer seeks a8 advice

bmcnett

If you didn't rotate the TV, but rather used the display list to do sideways ray-casting, you could have a 3-D sculptured floor and ceiling in a Space Harrier-type 1st person environment.

That could be really neat. Imagine how cool it would be going around the corners, with the left/right turns rotated 90deg into up/down climbing and diving... plummeting down into chasms and then pulling back to climb out the other side, etc.

Now that was uncalled for. My comment was perfectly on-topic and true and written BEFORE "other" thread was locked. No reason to do personal attacks and concoct fictional theories meant at character assassination like some others have done in this thread even if my post were inaccurate. My comments are not tearing into anyone. A8 game coding requires more coding skills than API-based coding. I can also surmise that you are an idiotic C64 fanboy and who wants to tear into and spew out your venom on Atari users like you have done previously.

Like I have done previously eh?

go on then... trawl back through my history and post up some links to threads. Put your money where your mouth is.

Whilst you're at it let's see something you've actually created for the Atari.

• Like 2

If you didn't rotate the TV, but rather used the display list to do sideways ray-casting, you could have a 3-D sculptured floor and ceiling in a Space Harrier-type 1st person environment.

That could be really neat. Imagine how cool it would be going around the corners, with the left/right turns rotated 90deg into up/down climbing and diving... plummeting down into chasms and then pulling back to climb out the other side, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbPQ2pvPdTw - this is fervour on the Archimedes. I remember when it came out a mate of mine crowing about only an Arc with a 32-bit ARM CPU could do it, but honestly I can't see the Atari having much trouble with it. maybe using DLIs you could add s slight 3D-esque element to it, such as ramps and ripples in the pathway.

I think it'd play quite well to the strengths of the A8 and you'd end up with a fun game at the end of it

Do *all* threads on AA have to turn into hate fests now?

The OP is a newcomer here. We're sure making a good impression guys :(

I agree. Some of the threads on Atari Age tire me. I'm at a point where I stop reading a thread as soon as the flames start.

I'm only interested in discovering more about the Atari 8 bit and pushing the platform to its limits whilst making it look good.

Those of you who bicker like 5 year olds are killing the fun for everyone else.

• Like 1

Now that was uncalled for. My comment was perfectly on-topic and true and written BEFORE "other" thread was locked. No reason to do personal attacks and concoct fictional theories meant at character assassination like some others have done in this thread even if my post were inaccurate. My comments are not tearing into anyone. A8 game coding requires more coding skills than API-based coding. I can also surmise that you are an idiotic C64 fanboy and who wants to tear into and spew out your venom on Atari users like you have done previously.

Like I have done previously eh?

go on then... trawl back through my history and post up some links to threads. Put your money where your mouth is.

Whilst you're at it let's see something you've actually created for the Atari.

That's an easy one....just look over here:

http://formatwar.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1731#p1731

http://formatwar.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1791#p1791

http://formatwar.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1848#p1848

And, by the way, continue this war over there :x

Not here :x

fair enough - those were just me sounding off about what annoys me about this forum, but on another forum which was created for that very purpose. The objective there was the get rid of warring over here. Irony is if the original poster wants technical answers he's actually *less likely* to get a format war and *more likely* to get help there.

Let me add another quote from there:

'That's precisely what annoys me - it (the Atari 8-bit) *does* need new code. It won't bloody get any with a bunch of elitists tearing into everyone who comes along to try and build said code though.

This time we're talking about someone who is a gamedev by profession - their time might be limited, so a project might take a while, but it's someone who knows what it takes to finish a project and has a track record in doing so and also has experience in 8-bit development.

This could be one of the best things to happen to them in terms of getting a game out there and some people are just too damn blind to see it.'

I've tried creating stuff for the atari, little bits of music, some code which was pretty bad but was at least enough to get TMR started and spark his interest to go on and do far better stuff than I could.

End result? I'm just 'some deluded C64 fanboy'

Bollocks to this - it's just not worth it.

Edited by sack-c0s
  • Like 1

Nothing wrong with a 64 sack co's, nice machine just like the A8....nice to see they still exist north of the m25

(is there anyone still servicing c64s out that way)

To asking you the same question i asked the OP, considering that the c64 does things slightly differently then the A8, is there any measurable difference game programming wise on a 64 compared to game programming on an A8