IGNORED

Super Mario All-Stars: Limited Edition - Forcing updates?

tremoloman2006

I got my copy of Super Mario All-Stars: Limited Edition only to discover that it won't load unless I install the latest update from Nintendo! In the game preview window it says "System Update" instead of showing the game. Talk about dirty... I can't play a game I officially bought unless I bow to them and load the latest revision of their software which will kill The Homebrew Channel!

Does anybody know of a workaround?

I've searched the web and couldn't find any information on this.

Just another reason to love classic consoles over modern ones...

I got my copy of Super Mario All-Stars: Limited Edition only to discover that it won't load unless I install the latest update from Nintendo! In the game preview window it says "System Update" instead of showing the game. Talk about dirty... I can't play a game I officially bought unless I bow to them and load the latest revision of their software which will kill The Homebrew Channel!

If you have a USB loader then it should dump it down on your drive and you can play it that way.

Up the Irons!

If you have a USB loader then it should dump it down on your drive and you can play it that way.

Up the Irons!

Cool! I still have no idea how to do that but at least there's some promise I'll be able to play the game in the not too distant future.

My work/commute is from 5AM-7PM so it doesn't leave much time to play and tinker with games during the week. :(

I know it stinks. I recently bought Babysitting Mama (yes I did) for my kid (yeah I tried it too) and it prompted me for the install when I inserted the disc and tried to play. I then fired up USB loader GX dumped it down on the hardrive and played without a problem.

One wrinkle... newer games often come bundled with a new IOS version the game requires. Launching it on a console without that IOS installed will usually cause a black screen or other failure.

The work around for that is to do some research on the required IOS, download it on your computer, put it on your SD cand and manually install it on the Wii with Wad Manager or similar... this avoids the extra anti-homebrew stuff that Nintendo often throws into the updates.

I know it stinks. I recently bought Babysitting Mama (yes I did) for my kid (yeah I tried it too) and it prompted me for the install when I inserted the disc and tried to play. I then fired up USB loader GX dumped it down on the hardrive and played without a problem.

One wrinkle... newer games often come bundled with a new IOS version the game requires. Launching it on a console without that IOS installed will usually cause a black screen or other failure.

The work around for that is to do some research on the required IOS, download it on your computer, put it on your SD cand and manually install it on the Wii with Wad Manager or similar... this avoids the extra anti-homebrew stuff that Nintendo often throws into the updates.

That's correct although you really only need a few certain ones for most games if I recall. There are some games like Monster Hunter that requires IOS37 as an example, there's a list out there somewhere. Use CIOSX rev19 to install, there are other tools out there too like WBFS manager, Wii Scrubber and NUSD to help you manage things.

Just follow the Rule: never update your Wii through a game or through Ninty.

A simple app called Pimp My Wii automatically updates and patches everything necessary... everything.

I had my Wii for a while, and I couldn't play Megaman 10 or Sonic 4 or some of the games... ran pimp my wii, everything works, even my injected Chrono Trigger doesn't lock up anymore.

Get it, its amazing.

But yes, as stated, get USB Loader. You can upload the game into the hard drive, and it strips it of everything just the game.

P.S. Super Mario All Stars is only 16MB big.

If you have the latest version of homebrew channel ( version 1.0.8 ), then it should be safe to update to the most recent system menu (version 4.3) which is included with most recent disks. However, if a new update from Nintendo is launched in the future, you should not update to that before the homebrew channel has been upgraded accordingly.

I am a very conservative Homebrew user, though. I have only installed the Homebrew channel for the sole purpose of running homebrew apps. Besides this, I try to keep my Wii as "official" as possible, in other words; I never patch IOSes, install preloaders, or use unofficial ways of upgrading. However, I always wait untill the latest HBC is confirmed to work with the most recent update before I update the system "officially".

Edited by per

If you have the latest version of homebrew channel ( version 1.0.8 ), then it should be safe to update to the most recent system menu (version 4.3) which is included with most recent disks. However, if a new update from Nintendo is launched in the future, you should not update to that before the homebrew channel has been upgraded accordingly.

I am a very conservative Homebrew user, though. I have only installed the Homebrew channel for the sole purpose of running homebrew apps. Besides this, I try to keep my Wii as "official" as possible, in other words; I never patch IOSes, install preloaders, or use unofficial ways of upgrading. However, I always wait untill the latest HBC is confirmed to work with the most recent update before I update the system "officially".

Have you patched to 4.3? Everything I've read says not to upgrade because it will destroy the homebrew channel. I really love some of the games on there so I'd be totally bummed if I lost it.

Have you patched to 4.3? Everything I've read says not to upgrade because it will destroy the homebrew channel. I really love some of the games on there so I'd be totally bummed if I lost it.

When a new update from Nintendo is out, that new update usually deletes the then-current HBC. However, within short time, a new version of the HBC which does not get deleted is released.

So to sumarize it up:

HBC 1.0.7/1.0.8 is not deleted by the most recent Wii system menu (4.3).

HBC 1.0.5/1.0.6 is deleted by Wii system menu 4.3 only

Any older version of the HBC is deleted by Wii system menu 4.2/4.3

What you reffer to is just in case Nintendo releases system menu 4.4 or something like that. If they do, you should assure yourself that the HBC has been updated accordingly to a version (problably 1.0.9) that has support for the new Wii system menu before officially updating. It will take some time between the Nintendo update is released and the corresponding HBC update gets released, but it's usually not more than one or two months. In this time period (when you wait for the HBC update to be released), you must not update the system menu (and this is why you read you should not update by default).

Edited by per

• 1 month later...

Wii's are cheap enough, you could buy a second one and use one as a hack and the other as an official :P That's what I would do if I was going to hack mine.

That's pretty much the route I'm going to go. Getting a red one for commercial gaming. If I get into the homebrew scene I'll get a used black one later on or something. I don't see myself bothering with it unless a lot of unique homebrews came out on the homebrew channel that I cared about tho. And that hacked one would never see a commercial disc, or commercial game, ever again.

A simple app called Pimp My Wii automatically updates and patches everything necessary... everything.

Did you just let the app run in auto-update everything mode, or did you install only specific updates with it? I used it before & let it run wild and it really messed up my Wii. I've not been able to fully repair it yet.

I've read a lot of similar accounts, so be cautious with this thing.

Geez, nobody mentioned Priiloader? It can block these updates!

The game installs an outdated version of the IOS and then it's automatically replaced by the newer version, which is just pointless. Or, better yet, find an injected WAD of "Super Mario All-Stars + World" (Google it) and install. (Approx. 43 blocks) Unlike the Wii disc, it has one-time only save states, like most other VC games.