IGNORED

XM - Fruitarian (WIP)

GroovyBee

A quick sneak peak at another XM game I'm working on. The basic premise is to battle wizards using exploding fruit. The fruit juice is very acidic and destroys both rocks and wizards. Luckily it evaporates rather quickly ;).

post-21935-129434831127_thumb.png

There is still quite a bit to do and the graphics are place holder. It'll probably also remain a two player game only.

As soon as there is more of a game I'll be releasing a ROM.

• Like 8

This is a type of a game the 7800 needed and I have been a fan of Bomberman style games for years. They are excellent two player games.

I have no problems if the Fruitarian stays as a two player game. Games similar to any Bomberman game are usually better as a two or more player game anyway.

Edited by 8th lutz

Hi there,

A quick sneak peak at another XM game I'm working on. The basic premise is to battle wizards using exploding fruit. The fruit juice is very acidic and destroys both rocks and wizards. Luckily it evaporates rather quickly ;).

Looks good. Just curious...what aspects does it use from XM that make it an XM release vs. a stock 7800 release?

Thanks for the compliments.

The game uses XM RAM and will use POKEY for sound/music (when added). I was toying with the idea of using SIO for a 4 player game on two machines. I'm not sure how far I'll take that idea at the moment. I'm also going to remove the chunky border and replace it with something a couple of pixels wide to increase the playfield area a bit.

The rocks are randomly placed so there will be plenty of two player replay value.

Thanks for the compliments.

The game uses XM RAM and will use POKEY for sound/music (when added). I was toying with the idea of using SIO for a 4 player game on two machines. I'm not sure how far I'll take that idea at the moment. I'm also going to remove the chunky border and replace it with something a couple of pixels wide to increase the playfield area a bit.

The rocks are randomly placed so there will be plenty of two player replay value.

I was just thinking to myself while working down the thread if it would even be possible to bring 4-player action to the 7800 and specifically this game, not even thinking that it might be possible using the SIO on the XM! It would be pretty cool to set up a couple of 7800s at CGE or MAG Fest and have some 4-player fun, at the same time maybe surprising a lot of on-lookers!!

Apple Snaffle, Dungeon!, Halloween game, this, Tempest ...

Which will hit first? icon_razz.gif

Progress is being made on several of my projects (as well as some unannounced ones :ponder:).

I take my hat off to you buddy. You do some really nice work! I'm not sure where you find the time, you're either a bachelor or have a VERY understanding wife .... :D

I take my hat off to you buddy. You do some really nice work! I'm not sure where you find the time, you're either a bachelor or have a VERY understanding wife .... :D

Thanks for the compliment. I'm not sure where I find the time either :lol:. I guess you could say that my partner is very understanding. We both have mutual and separate hobbies/interests.

Wizards need creatures to ride on *cough*

Erm... I'm not quite sure how I'd fit that play mechanic into this style of game.

In later bomberman games an egg is hidden in the level. This has a creature inside that essentially gives you an extra hit. When you ride it, should you get bombed you loose it.

Bomberman Creature

I could see it being a special hat or something along those lines.. kind of like Crash Bandicoots mask or the like.

AX

In later bomberman games an egg is hidden in the level. This has a creature inside that essentially gives you an extra hit. When you ride it, should you get bombed you loose it.

There are already bonuses to gain extra exploding fruit and increase juice coverage. The wizard sprites are only 12x16 so getting a creature in there is going to be tough too.

Now you know this game is just BEGGING for a level where the wizard will have to make it from one side of the screen to the other, while fighting off evil apple-throwing trees... (a little Wizard of Oz, eh...)

I'm probably going to keep it as a 2 (to 4 maybe) player game. I've a long list of WIPs as it is :lol:.