IGNORED

Anyone want a Spectre GCR (Mac emulator)?

skeezix

A buddy of mine just discovered the hardware-side of a Spectre GCR; I've not tested it, but it looks in good condition so has a good shot at working. The software side can be found pretty easily I imagine.

Anyone want it? Just send me a postcard or shipping cost or something, and I'm good to ship it off; just need a good home, to save me from tossing it in the landfill.

Anyone?

jeff

It looks like this (random Google image): http://www.oocities.com/clu-da-bard/gcr.jpg

-- plugs into cart slot on ST, and also has a floppy cable to jack into a floppy drive so you can read Mac GCR format floppies.

Edited by skeezix

Dal .. why oh crap? You need it?

I'm sure the other lad would be very accomodating if you needed it; I think he wanted it just as a whim off the cuff, but if you happen to want it, I'm game. (Perhaps 'first to respond' is not the best, since it favous people up at that right time, and who F5 a lot :)

jeff

Hi Jeff,

To be honest, it would have been nice to have purely to support others. I've been involved with a few threads on AF (some from you I think?) and just relying on my 'Mac history'.

Owning one would have allowed me to try stuff out properly for people. That was all.

I wouldn't want to trump the other guy if he has a real use for it.

From my recent testing - we dont need a good GCR as much as we need a good 'Converter' program. The Mac moved to 1.44 HD disks pretty quickly so there isnt alot of 800k images around there.

Unless someone can help educate me I couldnt get 99% of the 'Mac Classic' binaries transferred from the ST side to the Mac side without some corruption. The Resource Files dont get carried from what I experienced.

GCR or regular Spectre it wont matter unless we can get some sort of FTP or Transverter program working.

I gave away the old 68K MAC that I use to own over 5years ago, and I no longer have a way to read/access the data that my wife placed on some MAC GCR floppies. Thus, if I could get a Spectre GCR, I can use my ST with it to read these old MAC GCR data disks.

Edited by jkonstan

Try reading this

When I transfer a binary object over the resource file is empty - I havent a clue what should go in their and ResEdit doesnt either.

I moved a .SIT file and it was corrupt - so I looked at a good .SIT file created on the Mac side and then tried to 'fudge' the transverted one - however I kept getting an End of Segment or some other weird issue :(

When I transfer a binary object over the resource file is empty - I havent a clue what should go in their and ResEdit doesnt either.

Isn't binhex the answer to that issue? Trying to remember, its been a while. :)

Okay, I remembered that .hqx encoding can be used to transfer files between ye olde Macs and other places (PCs, etc) and have them retain both their data and resource forks when unencoded on the Mac side.

This all rings a distant bell with me but I can't remember why right now. How exactly are you transferring the file and what file format are you transferring?

Im downloading the .SIT file on my PC. I am then using FTP (or even just a disk copy) to my ST and then using the Spectre Transerter program to transfer to 'Mac Mode' - the program has a variety of settings with no 'auto detect' - I tried just about every setting and it appears .SIT files it thinks are text files and doesnt do anything resource fork wise.