IGNORED

Gauntlet

The_Laird

Derek Fern bought out much of Atari UKs inventory, which included various prototypes that he later released (like Best have done in the US), so if Gauntlet wasn't amongst them then chances are that there wasn't a prototype.

Prototypes? What were they???

TBH I can't remember. AFAIK they were all for the A8, though. He did release a few previously unpublished games. I'm sure Tower Toppler was one of them.

OT, but wasn't A8 Tower Toppler released in limited quantities by Atari UK on tape?

I don't want to be a skeptic, but I would have low expectations for a game coded by the team responsible for Jinks. :)

Jinks is wild!!! J/k!! The voice at the beginning is cool. most voice going on in any cart 00 atari system ever. The sounds are neat and its still better than hat trick the lamest ever!!!

Jinks was just not quite finished right thats all. with the low cart sizes on atari systems hard to make much of any game on them without being a wizard..

Jinks is wild!!! J/k!! The voice at the beginning is cool. most voice going on in any cart 00 atari system ever. The sounds are neat and its still better than hat trick the lamest ever!!!

Jinks was just not quite finished right thats all. with the low cart sizes on atari systems hard to make much of any game on them without being a wizard..

Yeah - I don't understand the extreme hate for it either. I don't think it's a "good" game, but I'd take it any day over Karateka, Hat Trick, and some of the other clunkers.

• Like 1

Yeah - I don't understand the extreme hate for it either. I don't think it's a "good" game, but I'd take it any day over Karateka, Hat Trick, and some of the other clunkers.

LOL! Ironically, I would state something similar for Karateka. I had it for the 7800 back in the late 80's and loved it. Then again, I also thoroughly enjoy E.T. for the 2600. Different strokes for different folks I guess; but Karateka and E.T. seem to be overwhelmingly disliked by the majority from their respective system fan base and seriously, I don't understand it.

I guess; but Karateka and E.T. seem to be overwhelmingly disliked by the majority from their respective system fan base and seriously, I don't understand it.

For me, Karateka was simply a huge let down. I partly bought a 7800 because KARATEKA was on the back of the box. I didn't have a computer, but played that game constantly on my friend's Apple II. I brought the machine home, waited for the game to be in stock and then had the biggest video game disappointment of my life.

For me, Karateka was simply a huge let down. I partly bought a 7800 because KARATEKA was on the back of the box. I didn't have a computer, but played that game constantly on my friend's Apple II. I brought the machine home, waited for the game to be in stock and then had the biggest video game disappointment of my life.

Ahhh...And I believe this may explain my ('unbias') view of Karateka. Despite using and playing on Apple II line of computers with such games as Transylvania, Aztec, and Return of Hercules, I never played Karateka. My first go around with Karateka was on the 7800, so that may explain me liking it more than most.

However, then again, I played Pac-Man plenty in the Arcades and was not very disappointed with the 2600 port. I was happy to have any version at home. Ditto with 2600 Donkey Kong (Jr).

Derek Fern bought out much of Atari UKs inventory, which included various prototypes that he later released (like Best have done in the US), so if Gauntlet wasn't amongst them then chances are that there wasn't a prototype.

Prototypes? What were they???

TBH I can't remember. AFAIK they were all for the A8, though. He did release a few previously unpublished games. I'm sure Tower Toppler was one of them.

OT, but wasn't A8 Tower Toppler released in limited quantities by Atari UK on tape?

I don't want to be a skeptic, but I would have low expectations for a game coded by the team responsible for Jinks. :)

No. It never appeared on the A8 in any form IIRC. It was only when it appeared on cartridge from Derek Fern that I found out about it.

Apparently a tape version was developed but the project was pulled before it was released.

• 6 months later...

Bob Armour: "Kieren, as much as I would have loved to have been involved in a 7800 version of Gauntlet, I'm not even aware of a version existing anywhere. I worked on the Atari computer version. If you ever track down a 7800 version of Gauntlet, please let me know..."

Disappointing, but perhaps Groovy's "Dungeon" will fill that gap.