IGNORED

ePay prices too high for apple II stuff

Keatah

I get the feeling most of the Apple ][ community has a lot more disposable money than the rest of us...

...myself as a rare exception. :(

That's always been the case, I guess. The Apple II was more expensive from the start, and after the IBM PC was introduced, those two machines occupied their own price point (~$1,500 after 1981) until the PC took over. Compare that to TRS-80, C64, Atari 800/1200XL, TI-99, etc.

I find all of this very amusing because 5-10 years ago you couldn't GIVE Apple II stuff away. Glad I kept all of my Apple stuff I had as a kid (one of the few things I did).

Tempest

I've been on eBay since '99 and it's been interesting to watch the gradual increase in market value of Apple II stuff. Heck, in the beginning, you could still find an original Apple ][ (non-Plus) for just a few hundred, as opposed to the $800 to $1,000 you see now.

Edited by Streck

I've been on eBay since '99 and it's been interesting to watch the gradual increase in market value of Apple II stuff. Heck, in the beginning, you could still find an original Apple ][ (non-Plus) for just a few hundred, as opposed to the $800 to $1,000 you see now.

Those may be the asking prices. And it is good to see them increasing! But are the computers actually changing hands at that price? I doubt it, and the ][(non-plus) computers seem to be the rare variant. The ][+ and //e aren't worth their shipping value. I've got an extensive Apple II collection that I can't even give away!! So-called "buyers" balk at the thought of traveling even 40 miles to pick it up free. It is a "rich" collection full of many different items and goodies not just serial and parallel boards either. So..? Eventually this will have to go to e-cyclers as I don't really have the room or time to build a mini-museum like I once planned.

Edited by Tempest

I get the feeling most of the Apple ][ community has a lot more disposable money than the rest of us...

...myself as a rare exception. :(

In many cases they like to *think* they got a lot of money. But they balk when it comes time to make a deal. But consider what I have been offered for *this* collection. 1 pickup-truck's worth, more or less depending on how well you pack it. What do you think I've been recently offered for all this??

This is a rich collection. For example, when I say modems, it means a micromodem, apple-cat, external 1200/2400/9600 hayes modems - Including software, manuals, all cables and connectors and misc stuff & hardware fittings. Or if something, say a like a printer, which usually needs a card, manual, drivers/software/cables, it's there. I recently looked over everything. For the few 5% missing stuff, if that, you can get these doo-dads and odds & ends online or make them yourself. For example, you will NOT need to make a 212 interface cable for an apple-cat, or a cable for the mountain hardware exp chassis, or an accelerator jumper block or daughtercard connector, IT'S THERE! Printers come with extra ribbons or thermal paper. Some, but not everything, is shrinkwrapped. In effect, this is a Complete and Instant collection. None of the stuff is ratty or dirty or anything unless specifically stated. It is to be considered used, but in excellent clean no-smoke/no-mold condition. About 1/6th of the stuff has original boxes, maybe less. The value comes in the completeness and variety of add-on peripherals here. Some stuff is rare, some commonplace. We all know you can find apple II systems in dumpsters and buy them on ebay for a song and dance. But all this stuff, all in one fell swoop?? Fuhgettaboutit!

The physically large base cornerstone items in the collection are:

2 apple II+

2 apple //e

1 //e platinum

2 apple ///

1 apple ///+

1 apple 2c

2 apple //gs

about 6 or 7 monitors, amdek, apple rgb, apple monitor ///, big modern samsung 1900x1200 26" lcd, 2x commodore 1084s

6 disk ][ drives and about 7 or 8 other drives 5.25 / 3.5

2 siders (almost totally mint, like most stuff here)

2 or 3 profiles, 5 or 10 meg, I forget

Corvus Constellation hard disk + manuals, card, software, errata sheets (like most stuff listed here)

a few rana systems' 2 and 3 drives.

3 Silentypes (one is completely disassembled) (the other two are spit polished perfect)

2 Epson MX-80 F/T with GrafTrax III rom.

2 Apple brand graphics tablets (one in 'needs work' shape, the other pristine!)

1 Alpha Syntauri music system - complete, great shape (box falling apart, heh) + promo clear floppy 45rpm record.

2 Mountain hardware expansion chassis, card, cable, dox (one is really ratty, the other one is very nice)

The smaller numerous items include:

2 or 3 boxes of about 1000+ disks, more or less. Many original with manuals/sheets, some copied.

All manuals for at least 90% of the hardware if not 100% complete. 5 - 7 boxes. small box or 2 of cassettes.

4 boxes of varied books in great condition, no dupes. Small box of promotional material, brochures, Apple In-Depth, Sam's Apple Circuit descriptin, apple blue books, various mainstream books from mall bookstores, warranty cards, apple surveys, errata sheets, original apple spiral-bound manuals for cards and systems, stuff like that. a few nib 5.25 disk boxes. A pouch of various diskette label styles used back then, 16 sector stickers. Apple special delivery software. Some educational material from the library trash bin - that is fluff material. Some good books, some rare, some very commonplace. Computer Station's Programmer's Reference Manual in small yellow binder for example.

a 320gb hard disk with about 100gb of tons and tons of everything, apple documentation and disk images, .pdfs, text files, .bin files, notes and things gathered from around the web over the years, scans, catalogs, manuals, Somewhat dis-organized. But the ultimate reference and emulation collection.

Transwarp gs, with memory add-on, serial card, Super Serial card, a few parallel cards, ieee-488 interface, phasor.

Some rocket chips, a zip chip or two. lowercase chips for II+. ImageWriter printer + 32k expansion cache.

mockingboard, echo+, compact flash drive. Some other ide interface, video-7 color enhancer.

box of video overlay and network cards. corvus omni-net network software manuals and card,

3-d graphics digitizer pen setup. //gs internal fan. beefed-up power supply. spare tadiran cmos battery

Various mods, like sync-mod wires and shift key mod, some rf modulators. 1 or 2 spare II power supplies.

a few z-80 and cp/m boards, profile and sider drive interface cards, a few mice and cards, mousetext rom, lower-case chips for II+, 3.5 drive controllers, Apple II/IIgs SCSI interface, various rom versions. appli-card, numeric pad,

A small box of about 20 various apple /// interface cards including //e emulator-compatibility card, cables, fittings

6809 stellation mill some other ads mathematical accelerators, 64k 80 col card //e,

apple cat with firmware, tone decoder, bsr interface, 212, optional additional manuals, jacks, plugs, expansion, etc.

various memory cards for //e and II+ and 2gs - probably about 12 or 15 different types. 16k-8megs, ramworks I, II, and III, ramworks expander, ramfactor battery backup, 65c02 chips - a few, spare 16k chips, a few sims & sips, some IOU and MMU and HAL/PAL spares i think. a cassette recorder or two, cassette video sync mod, spare speaker.

10 modems more or less, apple-cat, micromodem, external hayes modems, usr, ae.. tg joystick and paddles, apple paddles.enhancer boards, 80 col boards, various cpm and math co-processor boards

videx enhancer, ultraterm, videoterm-80, function strip. 3 or 4 clock cards ae timemaster II H.O., no-slot clock. a couple of multi-function cards, a few blank prototype cards. a very small box of 5 or 6 unknown boards. Apple hardware diagnostics card, echo copy card, wildcard 1 & 2, central point PC copy card. some type of apple scsi enclosure + cd-rom drive for //gs + card. gs-ram, gs-ram plus, viewmaster, z80-plus, microsoft-softcard, adapple,

apple Rom board with red switch. MS ram-card with box & dox. small box of apple disk ][ controllers. rana drive.

gibson light pen and 2 koala pads, passport midi interface, pedals. ae vulcan hard disk interface.

external microbuffer, internal microbuffer, from practical peripherals. orange micro grappler.

box of A.E. boards, including pc transporter card and 80286 pc emulator card and all fittings/cables

Mountain music system, binder manuals, software blahh blahhh, more cables

//e enhancement kit 1 opened and used, one in box, a few custom crack //e roms, kensington system savers (two or 3)

box of parts, enough to build another //gs, and mainboard for both revisions.

Various accelerator cards like transwarp, zip-gs with memory and cache and add-ons.

Memory boards like titan 128, saturn systems, ms ramcard, //e 80-col card, various ramfactor // /// boards + rgb cards. Second Sight VGA board + dox box cables disks, maybe a spare II+ mainboard, 2 spare //gs boards.

small box or 2 of hardware fittings and screws and power lights, brackets, things like that, to bring it all together and perhaps fix something if it is broke (but I believe everything listed works just perfect).

Rich pickins "uncle bill's big big box of cables", I DO NOT mean a box of power-cords or cables for other systems or USB PC crap or keyboards or extension cables. I mean like ALL APPLE ][ RELATED rf cables, power cords, parallel, serial, "custom" internal cables for accessories/mods/cards, "custom" audio cables and connectors for sound boards, drive cables, rj phone jack, rca, scsi terminator for sider, power-split cables, scsi cable or two, audio casette patch cord, joystick adapter cables, accelerator connector cables and adapters, extenders, modem connectors and fittings, 80-column switchbox wires, slot riser, rgb/composite cables + brackets, joystick multiplexer / adapter, rom-board switcher, tons more, specifically for apple // & /// series and accessories. You get what you need to make EVERYTHING work and what is supposed to come with the peripherals. I must re-iterate this box of cables and misc hardware is not fluff, no boring usb ipod and smartphone sync cable garbage. There aren't many duplicates, and in many cases, only one-offs. You won't find 20 of the same thing. Perhaps 2 or 3 of something, maybe. What is in here brings everything together.

What do you think I've been recently offered for all this??

I'm going to guess $500.

ha!

I think you need to understand that not everyone wants a truck bed full of Apple II stuff, even if they collect for it. A lot of us are gamers first and the Apple II portion of our collection consists of a complete computer and a bunch of boxed games. All the cards and connectors and extra drives and modems might be of interest to a computer museum or a really hardcore collector, but to most of us, it would just be more junk we have to store and/or give away. If you want to maximize your profit, it seems like breaking it all up into individual hardware/software packages would be the way to go. Failing that, I couldn't see paying more than a few hundred bucks for a bunch of stuff that would have to be hauled and stored and eventually given away.

On the OP's point, I don't necessarily agree that Ebay auctions are overpriced for Apple II stuff. I have yet to find a good source outside of Ebay for NIB or mint boxed Apple II games or other items. Yes, there are plenty of sources for loose or well used stuff including swap meets, garage sales, Craigslist, etc...but for collector's quality stuff, Ebay seems to be the only game in town right now.

• Like 2

In many cases they like to *think* they got a lot of money. But they balk when it comes time to make a deal. But consider what I have been offered for *this* collection. 1 pickup-truck's worth, more or less depending on how well you pack it. What do you think I've been recently offered for all this??

This is a rich collection. For example, when I say modems, it means a micromodem, apple-cat, external 1200/2400/9600 hayes modems - Including software, manuals, all cables and connectors and misc stuff & hardware fittings. Or if something, say a like a printer, which usually needs a card, manual, drivers/software/cables, it's there. I recently looked over everything. For the few 5% missing stuff, if that, you can get these doo-dads and odds & ends online or make them yourself. For example, you will NOT need to make a 212 interface cable for an apple-cat, or a cable for the mountain hardware exp chassis, or an accelerator jumper block or daughtercard connector, IT'S THERE! Printers come with extra ribbons or thermal paper. Some, but not everything, is shrinkwrapped. In effect, this is a Complete and Instant collection. None of the stuff is ratty or dirty or anything unless specifically stated. It is to be considered used, but in excellent clean no-smoke/no-mold condition. About 1/6th of the stuff has original boxes, maybe less. The value comes in the completeness and variety of add-on peripherals here. Some stuff is rare, some commonplace. We all know you can find apple II systems in dumpsters and buy them on ebay for a song and dance. But all this stuff, all in one fell swoop?? Fuhgettaboutit!

The physically large base cornerstone items in the collection are:

***DROOL*** :love:

I'm an Apple // collector, within reason. I won't drop a ridiculous amount of money for Apple // gear, but I've probably paid a premium for some of the rarer stuff--

Zip Chips, Transwarp GS, Mockingboard, and even a //c Z-RAM Ultra 2.

Outside of EBay, I've found some good deals by reaching out to members of comp.sys.apple2.*. Some of those guys have stacks of gear, and if they see you as a kindred spirit, and not an ebay reseller, they might help you fill out your collection for minimum coin. I picked up an AppleCat with 212 card that way (Still looking for the BSR interface though)!

I've put out some Wanted posts on my local Craigslist, and I've been able to pick up some good deals for low amounts of cash- mostly from other Apple // fans who are looking to put their beloved Apple // in a good home, or trying to slim down their collections.

I agree, that EBay has some high prices, but you're also paying for the time saving of not having to find things yourself. To me, it's a last resort (or a first resort if I'm impatient). :)

Edited by Blackbag

I have an Apple II+ (I believe its a +) - It has 2 drives but I think only 1 works. Id like to get the Ultima games on disk for it but dont know any good sources and also dont know how to copy/inititalize a disk on the system - Id kinda need a Player disk ready to be started.

Anyone know a good place to look?

I have an Apple II+ (I believe its a +) - It has 2 drives but I think only 1 works. Id like to get the Ultima games on disk for it but dont know any good sources and also dont know how to copy/inititalize a disk on the system - Id kinda need a Player disk ready to be started.

Use ADTPro http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/index.html to get images from your PC to your apple

The Apple II Asimov site has all the images you need

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/

You need ADTPro, but it will only run on AppleIIs with 64K of RAM. If you have a language card in there, you are good to go. The process consists of connecting an audio cable between your computer and the Apple IIs cassette port and typing a few commands to send the ADT software. Then you can run the ADT software on your Apple and dump any .dsk you want to a real disk.

I'm not looking to make a fortune on the whole collection. And if you add up the going prices on ebay, I'd say my collection would change hands for about 1/4th those going prices. I've gotten a few things from ebay for the collection but I'd say 80% of the stuff is my own from the bbs days.

fleaPAY is a necessary evil for the collector I say..

Edited by Keatah

Use ADTPro http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/index.html to get images from your PC to your apple

That is sweet - thanks!

That is sweet - thanks!

This should help drive down the ridiculous cost of //series software on epay. They are asking 300 bux for some common or not-even-popular titles. I don't think any classic software should go for that much. These prices are not thought out, and just arbitrarily set high to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you all know.. the person I bought my IIgs from has another one up. $24.99 with two days left, 38.20 shipping.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2707066499681?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=270706649968&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Wow, I have difficulty *giving* away a cartload of //gs systems. Now, OTH, this is a more interesting auction.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1304855376051?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=130485537605&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I suspect it is the SSD and monitor that is gonna make this auction reach 300.00

I remember about 10 years ago, there was on average about 100 auctions at any one time on epay for apple II stuff, today it is over 1800 auctions.

Stock IIgs's are a dime a dozen. It's the memory cards, monitors, and other little add-ons that raise the price.

Tempest

Yeah like a SCSI card or a accelerator card, or rare ram card or any good ram card with a bit of memory packed in. those can cause a massive climb in price for the system because you have every collector out there gunning for them.

Stock IIgs's are a dime a dozen. It's the memory cards, monitors, and other little add-ons that raise the price.

Tempest

Yeah like a SCSI card or a accelerator card, or rare ram card or any good ram card with a bit of memory packed in. those can cause a massive climb in price for the system because you have every collector out there gunning for them.

Well that's good to know, but I still had problems GIVING away some //e's and gs'es that had ramfactors/ramworks, and rocketchips and scsi rev c, and transwarps. nib graphics tablet, nib silentype.. forget it.. I don't understand it!?!?!?!

Tempest

Well that's good to know, but I still had problems GIVING away some //e's and gs'es that had ramfactors/ramworks, and rocketchips and scsi rev c, and transwarps. nib graphics tablet, nib silentype.. forget it.. I don't understand it!?!?!?!

Hard to believe. A Transwarp alone will go for a few hundred.

Tempest