IGNORED

IIgs 4Meg RAM card finished

jamesk

I just finished building a 4Meg RAM card for my IIgs. It works great! It cost me $20 total ($9 for the card and $9 for 4x 30pin SIMMs). It took me about 8 hours to complete spread over three days, but it was great fun. The hardest most time consuming part was desoldering. My old 1Meg card should be up for sale soon.

post-18310-129480257839_thumb.jpg

That's really cool! This may be a dumb question, but how does it work. If the card is expecting 1meg, you can't just dump 4 meg on it and expect it to work right? What do you have to change to make it work with 4 meg?

Here's the page with the Schematic.

http://www.apple2pl.us/

How this works is explained in the Apple IIgs Hardware Reference starting on page 49. Page 52 under Extended RAM Mapping says "If the MSIZE pin is tied to ground (for 1-megabit RAMs). The FPI multiplexes 20 address bits onto RA0 through RA9 and generates the CROW0 and CROW1 row selects for rows of 1 MB.". Looking at the Schematic you will see that pin 27 is tied to ground. RA9 is now connected to UA18. RP2 is filled so a 33Ohm resister is added (RA).

I found a dead webpage that was fortunately completely spidered by archive.org. These images should tell you all you need to know.

The important thing is that the ram card slot was designed to support 1 megabit DRAM addressing. All you need is to steal an unused gate on the board for the extra address line.

post-4828-129492689674_thumb.gif

post-4828-129492702685_thumb.jpg

post-4828-129492696477_thumb.jpg

post-4828-129492697233_thumb.jpg

post-4828-129492697846_thumb.jpg

The important thing is that the ram card slot was designed to support 1 megabit DRAM addressing. All you need is to steal an unused gate on the board for the extra address line.

Also note that the resistor array doesn't have enough pins so you have to add a 33Ω resistor.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be installing my 3rd quartet of SIMMs in my IIgs tonight. The last group had 3 SIMMs that were 60ns chips when I ordered 70s. Finally I got four matching pairs of THM91000AS-80 Toshiba chips. I can actually find a datasheet for these! They are listed as 80ns CAS before RAS, so I am pretty confident they will be compatible.

I thought speed ratings on DRAMs were only guaranteed minimum access times. Can't you run a 60ns chip at 70ns?

You would think so, I was following the advice in this thread:

http://www.techtalkz.com/apple/187768-simm-compatibility-apple-iigs-ram-cards-potential-faq-addition.html

It's been my experience that anything

faster than 70ns is hit or miss. Also be sure that

the speed of all of the simms is close, particularly

adjacent pairs being equal.

If anyone has an explanation I'd love to hear it.

So far so good. The new memory has passed testing a few times. I'm going to let it run for a while though.

In case anyone tries this in the future, here are some tips.

30 pin SIMMs

8 or 9 Chip (preferably 8)

CAS before RAS

no faster than 70ns

These are the SIMMs I bought:

http://www.memoryx.net/1mbx981.html

They say they are HYB511000A-80 but I got Toshiba

I've already replaced the IIgs battery with 3 AAA. I think the next job will be adding stereo sound.

http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/R004STEREO.GIF

How do you do the battery replacement? I forget, does the IIgs use a CR2032 or a 1/2AA like compact macs do?

And that stereo board, does IIgs software actually output two channels?

The IIgs takes a 1/2AA 3.6V. The early models use a 1/2AA with leads, my ROM 3 had a 1/2AA battery holder. All you need to do is desolder the old battery or holder and solder in a x3 AAA battery holder.

The sound chip on the IIgs is an Ensoniq ES5503. It is capable of producing 8 channel stereo. Virtually all IIgs software produces stereo sound. However on the IIgs the stereo jack outputs only mono. :roll:

So in order to get stereo you have to demultiplex the signals from J25.