IGNORED

Opening an Atari 130 XE for the First Time

Blues76

Hello,

In order to make an upgrade, I have to open my Atari 130 XE. Since it was my first time, I open my backup 130 xe just in case if I was too rough the first time...

Ok, first I remove the first 4 screw (I think this 130 xe one missing one of a possible 5) The top came out

Then I straight the metal "locks" to be able to remove the metal plate.

Also, I was trying to remove the black connector used for the keyboard. I notice that it may not be removable. However, the "clear" stripe that connects to it, came out (or I broke the strap)

Candle suggested to treated like a lady... Believe me, I did try, better than my own gf... However, I'm a bit rough when it comes to manual stuff... Putting it back together will be fun too...

Now, the questions that I have are as follows:

1) Assuming that I did not break the strap, is just a matter of pushing it down to put it back....?

2) if I broke it, what options do I have now? other than jumping from a building from messing my atari ...

thanks

The keyboard connector should come out as you described, so it should be OK.

Putting back in - just push it into the slot. But don't let it bend. Easy way is to hold with both hands, clinch half of the cable between thumb and finger of each hand, holding about 5 mm from the end of the cable.

That lets you push it into the slot without it flexing too much, push it in evenly until it stops.

Depends on the machine, but with some it's easiest to just sit the top half of the case upside down next to the bottom half which gives both hands free to insert the cable.

Of course don't put the cable in until you've assembled everything else, it should be the second last step before putting the top half back over and screwing it down again.

I sent in the foil to a PCB manufacturer and soldered every lead to the main board with ribbon cable. My foil suffered the "corrosive foil syndrome" but it worked as a template in copper.

Excellent solution - how much did this cost you?

Hello Blues76

After you stuff the foil back in, type the following:

10 ? PEEK(53279): NEXT 10

RUN

Then press START, SELECT and OPTION. If the value changes for each one of those keys and each possible combination of those keys, the keyboard is plugged in fine. Otherwise, try moving it inside the connector just a little bit. "No key pressed" returns "7", pressing them all will IIRC result in "1".

sincerely

Mathy

Why ... WHY ... W H Y ... in the world did you disconnect your XE keyboard!!??

Never disconnect a working XE keyboard.

I have a very hard time to find a working one actually. So many XE's, so many non-functional keyboards. I think I'm gonna wire-up an XL keyboard to the BBS XE.

10 ? PEEK(53279): NEXT 10

RUN

Then press START, SELECT and OPTION. If the value changes for each one of those keys and each possible combination of those keys, the keyboard is plugged in fine. Otherwise, try moving it inside the connector just a little bit. "No key pressed" returns "7", pressing them all will IIRC result in "1".

After plugging-in and out my 130XE keyboard many times, I can say that only testing the function keys is not enough. The foil cable is quirky. Sometimes after plugging it in, you think all works because the few keys you push work. Then after screwing things back together, turns out that only 4 or so keys do not work.

So before screwing the case together test every key with the build-in self test (Power-on while holding the option key (and no disk connected)) or type BYE on the basic prompt).

Robert