IGNORED

2nd Annual Cowlitz Gamers for Kids Video Game Show Kelso, WA

swlovinist

2nd Annual Cowlitz Gamers for Kids Video Game Show!

cjac_logo.pngOn the heels of last year's successful event, our own John H(swlovinist). is organizing the 2nd Annual Cowlitz Gamers for Kids Classic Video Game Show on April 9th in Kelso, WA. Last year we helped John raise over $1,300 for the Childrens Justice and Advocacy Center (CJAC) and we're convinced we can do better this year with your help!

PRGE is absorbing much of the cost of putting on this show so that 100% of the admission will go directly to CJAC. It is CJAC's mission to provide children who have experienced sexual or physical abuse a coordinated community approach to investigation, prosecution and treatment that promotes their safety, healing, and well-being. CJAC is operated out of the Cowlitz County Prosecutor's office.

The show will be on Saturday, April 9, 2011 at the Kelso Red Lion Hotel in Kelso, Washington. Kelso is about 1 hour north of Portland or 2 hours south of Seattle on I-5. Doors open at 10:00 AM until 5:00 PM. Admission is a suggested donation of $5 to CJAC, although we invite you to contribute more if you can!

• Kelso Red Lion
    510 Kelso Dr.
    Kelso, WA 98626
See map

What Can you Expect?

The show will be held in a larger ballroom this year rather than being distributed across two smaller rooms as in 2010. Like last year, it will feature classic video game vendors, a freeplay gaming arcade and several video game tournaments throughout the day.

Confirmed vendors include Kelso's own Classics collectibles store, Y-Bot Classic Games, RecycledGamer, AtariCollector.com's Rick Weis and Specialty Gamer. Expect a lot of good deals on classic video game merchandise. In addition to outside video game vendors, there will be T-shirts and other merchandise specifically made for the event that will also be sold specifically to suport CJAC.

In honor of Super Mario recently turning 25 years old this last year, there will be a speed run challenge on Super Mario Brothers 1-1 this year at the event.

The event is child-friendly so please feel free to bring the entire family!

For more information about the Cowlitz Gamers for Kids Classic Video Game Show, please contact swlovinist here on the forums.

Edited by swlovinist

We already have about 10 vendors confirmed. We will have 17 game systems out to play and enjoy from Pong to Xbox. This really is a fun show, with many great items to be bought from longtime vendors/organizers/friends of PRGE. This has been a dream of mine to host a game show near my hometown, and I have had the support and sponsorship of PRGE to now make it happen. I feel encouraged and excited for this year to be a wonderful event. T-shirts with the new logo will be for sale at the event, all of which goes to CJAC. Stay tuned for more announcements.

• 2 weeks later...

HUGE NEWS: Thor Aackerlund will be attending the show! Huge thanks for PRGE for sponsoring this to happen, as well as Robin Mihara with coordinating this plan.

We have doubled the size of the venue to accommodate this event. Spread the word! This is a great opportunity to meet a Nintendo legend as well as support a great cause. More details will come.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE ON THE SHOW: Looks like we will have some arcades at the event. Details still need to be confirmed, but almost certain we will have a nice row of some classics at the show. Shirts ordered. and will be black with the new logo. Price will be $10 at the show. Small buttons will be at the show as well, $1 ea. All proceeds of these will go to CJAC. Another vendor confirmed, and the show is only 7 weeks away. Spread the word. Also, if anyone would like to contribute to this fundraiser show and are not able to attend, please PM me. Tax Receipt available to anyone who contributes who cannot attend. Extra Videogame stuff welcome as well. Anything contributed will be sold 100% for CJAC.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the show: We are offically full on floor space for the show. Comfirmed that ihavethatpma will be bringing a nice lot of arcade games for the show. Please spread the word about the show. Anyone who wants to contribute something please PM me. Any Atariage fans in the area, this will be a nice show to meet up to play some videogames. There will also be a nice variety of vendors with some great items for sale.

There will be a Berzerk high score contest that will be at the show, Game Variation 9....

• 2 weeks later...

Nintendoage has graciously sponsored the T shirts for this event, which will be sold entirely for charity. The show is coming together nicely, and there will be a great variety in products to buy at this event. Thor Aackerlund and Robin Mihara will be rematching the NWC championship. Stay Tuned for more updates!

Show is getting closer, bump this thread!

Spread the word, only 9 days left before this show!

http://www.retrogamingexpo.com/cowlitz_gamers_for_kids.php

I will be there bright and early, brutha! Let me know if you need anything; I got a nice 20" TV with every input known to man if you need it for the freeplay area. Thanks for putting this together!! Morgan

Edited by Chuck D. Head

I think we are good on TV sets, but bring yourself and be prepared for a good time. There will be a High Score Contest on Berzerk Voice Enhanced Game 9. Every room has to be cleared. Atari High Score Ringers welcome. In tradition, there will be a video game trophy given.

Edited by swlovinist

I think we are good on TV sets, but bring yourself and be prepared for a good time. There will be a High Score Contest on Berzerk Voice Enhanced Game 9. Every room has to be cleared. Atari High Score Ringers welcome. In tradition, there will be a video game trophy given.

Sounds great, John! Voice Enhanced plays the same as regular 2600 Berzerk pretty much, eh? It's just the sound and graphics that were hacked?

Edited by Chuck D. Head

Top 5 reasons to check out the Cowlitz charity game expo

If you live in Washington or Oregon and are on the fence about this event, you SHOULD check it out. Here's why:

1. It has many of the same vendors as the Portland Retro Gaming Expo, but it's smaller so there is less competition for games.

2. Many of the vendors use it as an opportunity to clear out overstock inventory. There are some DEALS to be had. (For example, I will have a large tote bin full of non-sports NES carts for $1 each at my booth.)

3. It's right on I-5 only 1 hour north of Portland or 2.5 hours sound of Seattle.

4. Plenty of fellow classic gamers to socialize with.

5. You will get to meet and play games against THOR flippin' AACKERLUND and ROBIN freakin' MIHARA. Good god, man! What more could you ask for?

Hope to see you there!

Chuck

Sounds great, John! Voice Enhanced plays the same as regular 2600 Berzerk pretty much, eh? It's just the sound and graphics that were hacked?

yep pretty much the same game, just with graphics and voice to closely match the arcade. It is awesome.

yep pretty much the same game, just with graphics and voice to closely match the arcade. It is awesome.

Sounds great! I have been practicing, but there is a random element to Berzerk that is very cruel at this difficulty level.

I am really, really very thankful for all the support of this site(which sponsored the T-shirts), and thank all the contributors, vendors, and people who will make this charity event rock! Stay tuned later this day for a little preview of what is going to be sold for charity.

I could not stay the whole day but it was a great show. I always love 2600 tourneys and the trophy looked great. Who ended up taking it home?

All I know is it was someone much more skilled than I! Actually, the young guy that won it was pretty amped that the 2600 in the trophy was functional as he has never had one. John hooked him up with some games to go with it.

Yep, it was a pretty damn good show. Thanks to everyone that put this together, I came home with quite a haul once again. I went a tad over my budget, but scored some great stuff:

- a Coco 2

- 2 more N64s (smoke and jungle green)

- a PS one setup that I won in the charity silent auction

- a couple nice Gameboy multicarts

- a big box of Commodore magazines

- About thirty new 2600 commons

- Some Dreamcast games and fishing controller

- a stack of $1 NES games I never played before

- a V-tech console I won at the charity auction (it was for charity, ok?)

- a Power-Joy "plug-and-play" Famicom

- and swlovinist hooked me up with an nice stack of Loadstar disks (I owe him something nice)

I'm most stoked about the smoke N64 I got from RecycledGamer, the multicarts and the Loadstars. Anyone that missed it this year should seriously find a way to come next year. Thanks to whomever loaned the arcades, ecpecially Crystal Castles!! Morgan

-