IGNORED

Floridians in here!

Blues76

Orlando, here. I was actually googling around for Commodore and Atari users' groups this afternoon, but didn't find anything. There was an Amiga users' group, but there was no email contact - no idea if it's still around. I've got a toddler at home so free time is rare, but I'd definitely be interested in some kind of vintage computer users' group, or festival or something. Is there anything like that around here?

Orlando, here. I was actually googling around for Commodore and Atari users' groups this afternoon, but didn't find anything. There was an Amiga users' group, but there was no email contact - no idea if it's still around. I've got a toddler at home so free time is rare, but I'd definitely be interested in some kind of vintage computer users' group, or festival or something. Is there anything like that around here?

Not that I know of, but for sure we should try to arrange one... I think the idea is to get everyone that is close to Florida or willing to come to Florida in this thread. So, I will give it a few more weeks to keep this alive so later we can make a list of everyone here.

An Atari meeting would be great, but if we can bring more people into a "vintage computing" specially if is 8 Bit (and some 16 bits) great...

I'm just really an Atari FAN, specially A8

I will be making a list (this weekend I hope) of all the Floridians we found so far...

Anyone else ?

Well, I'm here in Orlando as well. And I do have an Atari 800xl computer. Only the thing is, I have always used it solely for playing the video game cartridges made for it. That's really why I didn't chime in sooner. Because to be honest, I wouldn't be interested in attending any kind of a gathering which would involve "classic computing". The floppy disks, compact cassettes, and other computer accessories have never interested me.

The only reason I got into the system was because it offered Atari 5200 graphics but with Atari 2600 play control. Also the carts are nice & small and take up very little space which is important when space is limited.

• 3 months later...

Pretty cool to see the distribution of our members. One lone user smack in the middle of the Pacific :)

Maybe someone should go rescue him? Poor guy, probably floating on a makeshift raft with nothing but a 2600 and Combat.

I believe he's actually getting rid of the last copies of ET for the 2600, doing it like Bin Ladens body but without the service...

Just a reminder - I'm still here in the Aventura area. If there's a get together in the Dade/ Broward County area, I'd sure go.

Perhaps we can do like the Orlando group used to do and reserve a room in the local library if that's available here and there's enough interest.

Edited by IndusGT

I used to live in Homestead, FL, and would like to hook up with an old Atari person I used to know. My name is Danny and my girlfriend then was Cindy. Her brother Edgar had a best-friend whose older brother I did some Atari business with. He sold me my first XF551 and ICD MIO 1MB.

Ring any bells?

I used to live in Homestead, FL, and would like to hook up with an old Atari person I used to know. My name is Danny and my girlfriend then was Cindy. Her brother Edgar had a best-friend whose older brother I did some Atari business with. He sold me my first XF551 and ICD MIO 1MB.

Ring any bells?

Nope but I'm friends with the SysOp for StarNet BBS he may know who that was.

I no longer live in Florida, but my golden era of Atari was when I lived in Coral Springs Florida. In 1978 we got the 2600 and in 1981, I got my first Atari 400 with 16K, BASIC and an original 410 recorder ($400). Upgraded it to 32K and a Newell keyboard in 1982. Those were the days. Got my 800 ($500) and 810 ($475)in 1983 and discovered Action! Used to buy a lot of my Atari stuff from Video Circus (Coral Springs) and the Database (Coconut Creek). Moved back to California with the family in 1984. My original Florida memories of Atari are the fondest.

I went to Homestead Junior High, Homestead, FL. It was 6th grade and time to pick an elective. My choices were "Computer Programming I" and "Woodshop". My old man was a carpenter, so I had my fill of woodworking and I was just insane for video games on my Atari 2600. So, I decided to try "Computer Programming".

The perimeter of the classroom was lined with 800XL's and 1050s. Each session, our teacher, Mr. Wurtz, taught us BASIC, lecture style, and then gave us programming assignments using the concepts explained. He insisted that we list our our programs out on pads and bring them up for his approval before we could sit down at a computer. This gave me an advantage because one of the things I picked up from pouring over my dad's construction blueprints was an impressive ability to write neatly and quickly in all caps. My lists were always the first and best-loved and I got more time on the systems than anyone.

A year later at a church yard sale, an 800XL, 1050, and 1027 were up for sale. $100. I went positively ape S%&T begging my dad to get it for me; promising him I would work off the debt. We were poor. Five kids on a carpenters salary in South Florida doesn't leave much "discretionary income". But he did it. And my life started on that day.

• Like 3

(...)

A year later at a church yard sale, an 800XL, 1050, and 1027 were up for sale. $100. I went positively ape S%&T begging my dad to get it for me; promising him I would work off the debt. We were poor. Five kids on a carpenters salary in South Florida doesn't leave much "discretionary income". But he did it. And my life started on that day.

Talk about a defining moment in your life, as well as how much the presence/role of a father can shape a son's life. The beauty about such moment is how much strength it can give you, on the long run, by just looking back at it and remembering.

Very, very similar to mine (as well as many other folks around here), only that my Dad did have extra cash around, as he was a consumate and overall progressive Engineer.

GodSpeed, my friend, and if your old-man is not around anymore, "que Dios lo tenga en su Gloria."

F.H.