IGNORED

Pokey Version of "Unreal Superhero 3" By Kjmann

Kjmann

And the C64 double SID? Edit....

Hmm hadn't realized that was using dual SIDs...

6 Channels

All without yelling sounds, no cancelling sounds, sawtooth-arpeggios.....

Just as POKEY can do ;)

That version Malducci did is probably my favorite... I didn't notice very heavy use of saw, mostly pulse and square for the lead at least -one channel doing bass saw at some parts. (maybe more saw in the original 8-channel PC MOD, but even there it seems like mostly pulse and square -along with plenty of percussion samples in both versions ;)) Actually, that bassline stuff is one the one area the envelope driven channel on the AY/YM2149 PSG is good for (and sawtooth is among the waveforms it's useful for -I think triangle is another), it would be interesting to hear an ST/CPC/MSX/etc rendition of this too. ;)

And you'd need to pair POKEY channels to get the necessary frequency resolution for some of that stuff, albeit for CPU driven PWM and such that wouldn't matter so much as the CPU/POKEY timer interrupt is controlling frequency.

Plus both are using stereo, the PCE version is definitely using full pan stereo... really nice feature of that sound hardware, full 4-bit L/R pan (4-bit 1.5 dB stepped volume for left and right stereo channels per each of the 6 channels, hence the really smooth panning in that rendition)

Youtube Video of the version I did. =P

YouTube Link

Dual POKEYs hardwired to stereo used for that one? Any 16-bit channel pairing used?

No samples obviously, like the SID rendition, but unlike the PCE/original renditions. (famitracker version made some heavy use of the DPCM channel too... and also used the VRC6 for 2 more pulse channels and 1 saw -no use of the triangle channel, probably would have for a pure NES redition to make the most of the 5 channels)

I wonder what that would sound like with some samples added in though, not like the A8 can't handle some decent 4-bit samples through POKEY. (especially since there's only 1 channel for samples that seems to be used in any of the versions)

Great use of noise in leu of samples though. ;)

Sounds awesome as it is though, I've been wondering when a POKEY rendition would materialize. ;)

I like the choice to go with periodic pulse wave noise in place of the sawtooth bass (was there any POKEY saw stuff in there at all?), and the PWM of course . . . both give it a nice signature sound too, especially the periodic pulse stuff. (unfiltered CPU drive PWM stiff isn't unique to POKEY like the priodic stuff ... except TIA's periodic pulse "noise" generation)

Hmm, actually, the NES version oddly enough seems to avoid the pulsewave use of the original and PCE mixes for almost pure square use for the lead stuff in spite of having 12.5/25/75% pulse wave in addition to square -I think the VRC6 was also pulse rather than just squre on top of the 2 native channels. (plus saw bass via VRC6 and DPCM plus noise)

Edited by kool kitty89

Dual POKEYs hardwired to stereo used for that one? Any 16-bit channel pairing used?

Yes. Dual Pokeys. I used Standard Filter Synth and Square wave Sounds for the main tune and a 16bit bass (Left channel Voices 3 and 4).

Sounds awesome as it is though, I've been wondering when a POKEY rendition would materialize. ;)

Thanks. it's a cool song so i just thought the 8-bit deserved a version.

=)

it would be interesting to hear an ST/CPC/MSX/etc rendition of this too. icon_wink.gif

And I'd like to hear a POKEY version, too icon_wink.gif . Modulations cost almost nothing. They just have to be added.

And you'd need to pair POKEY channels to get the necessary frequency resolution for some of that stuff, albeit for CPU driven PWM and such that wouldn't matter so much as the CPU/POKEY timer interrupt is controlling frequency.

Filter, as used in the tune , already takes 2 channels. It's just a different use.

it would be interesting to hear an ST/CPC/MSX/etc rendition of this too. icon_wink.gif

And I'd like to hear a POKEY version, too icon_wink.gif . Modulations cost almost nothing. They just have to be added.

You'd like to hear a POKEY version of what? Wasn't that the whole point of this thread? (announcing the POKEY arrangement)

A tune that runs on a stock Atari. Also without jelling/cancelling sounds , plus cleaner bass sounds, and modulations where they belong to ;)

You'd like to hear a POKEY version of what? Wasn't that the whole point of this thread? (announcing the POKEY arrangement)

A tune that runs on a stock Atari. Also without jelling/cancelling sounds , plus cleaner bass sounds, and modulations where they belong to ;)

You mean more pulse wave stuff in the lead? (otherwise I'm not quite sure what "where they belong" would refer to) Again, there could be PCM samples too.

A plain single POKEY version would be interesting too... definitely would take more compromise to get sounding good. (among those compromises would probably be careful intermittent use of channels for different purposes -including switching between PCM and chip sound)

Same thing with an actual plain 5-channel NES version since the current Famitracker version uses the VRC6 (2 more pulse 1 saw) and doesn't use the triangle channel at all. For that matter, the SID version could have pushed the PCM channel hack on top of the 3 hardware channels... and if anyone ends up doing an AY/YM2149 version, it should probably push the envelope channel hack for sawtooth bass and probably intermittent use of PCM. (technically you'd have 3 hardware channels, 1 envelope hack channels, and simultaneous noise generation able to be mixed onto any of the 3 hardware channels -which means it works in stereo if the AY/YM is wired for such)

I'm not so interested in a standalone SN76489 version TBH, it might be interesting to see what could be pulled off, but given the limitations, it would necessarily be behind all of the above. (for equal quality arrangement at least)

Some FM synth renditions might be interesting too, or other console/computer specific stock hardware configurations. (a genesis/MD version would be interesting, maybe YM2413 -if you go by the SMS, that would be YM2413+SN PSG or YM2413+AY PSG for the MSX, or maybe Adlib -if you go to soundblaster that's got hardware PCM to work with though almost no games used that for music/percussion stuff simultaneously with FM -several MOD drivers, but all avoiding FM unfortunately)