IGNORED

Opinion of the 7800 vs atari 8bit computers

ATARI7800fan

2 Dollars for a decent soundchip? i mean i know 2 dollars in 1984 was like enough for a downpayment on a small house but surely tremiel could've footed that bill... oh forget it he never would...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maztr_0n said:

2 Dollars for a decent soundchip? i mean i know 2 dollars in 1984 was like enough for a downpayment on a small house but surely tremiel could've footed that bill... oh forget it he never would...

2 USD in 1984 is approximately 6 USD today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Maztr_0n said:

dont even get me started on what 6 bucks got you back then...

The 7800 wasn't the only console that could have chips on the carts, the NES made extensive use of them (sound included):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_management_controller_(Nintendo)

These expensive chips extend the capabilities of the original console and make it possible to create NES games with features the original console cannot offer alone. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Defender_2600 said:

The 7800 wasn't the only console that could have chips on the carts, the NES made extensive use of them (sound included):

These chips extend the capabilities of the original console and make it possible to create NES games with features the original console cannot offer alone. 

i am aware, and its very good for future-proofing, i'm still curious if F-18 Hornet uses some kind of ram chip or if its all stock and i'm just amazed by an 80's video game

3 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

i'm still curious if F-18 Hornet uses some kind of ram chip or if its all stock and i'm just amazed by an 80's video game

It's supposed to be stock, but I'm not sure. It's not on my list of super game cartridges (original library).

Alien Brigade -------------------- 144k
- Crossbow ------------------------ 144k
- Toki (prototype)(NTSC) --------- 144k

- Commando ---------------------- 128K + POKEY
- Ballblazer ------------------------  32K + POKEY

- Summer Games ---------------- 128K + 16K RAM
- Winter Games ------------------ 128K + 16K RAM
- Plutos (prototype) -------------- 128K + 16K RAM
- Sirius (prototype) -------------- 128K + 16K RAM
- Impossible Mission -------------- 128K +  8K RAM
- Jinks ----------------------------- 128K +  8K RAM
- Tower Toppler --------------------- 64K +  8K RAM
- Rescue On Fractalus (prototype) - 32k +  2K RAM

- Basketbrawl ---------------------- 128K
- Double Dragon ------------------- 128K
- Fatal Run ------------------------- 128K
- Ikari Warriors -------------------- 128K
- Mean 18 Ultimate Golf ---------- 128K
- Midnight Mutants ---------------- 128K
- Ninja Golf ------------------------ 128K
- Planet Smashers ---------------- 128K
- Rampage ------------------------ 128K
- Scrapyard Dog ------------------ 128K
- Title Match Pro Wrestling ------- 128K
- Water Ski ------------------------ 128K
- Xenophobe ---------------------- 128K
- Rampart (prototype) ------------ 128K
- Toki (prototype)(PAL) ----------- 128K

10 minutes ago, Defender_2600 said:

It's supposed to be stock, but I'm not sure. It's not on my list.

Alien Brigade -------------------- 144k
- Crossbow ------------------------ 144k
- Toki (prototype)(NTSC) --------- 144k

- Commando ---------------------- 128K + POKEY
- Ballblazer ------------------------  32K + POKEY

- Summer Games ---------------- 128K + 16K RAM
- Winter Games ------------------ 128K + 16K RAM
- Plutos (prototype) -------------- 128K + 16K RAM
- Sirius (prototype) -------------- 128K + 16K RAM
- Impossible Mission -------------- 128K +  8K RAM
- Jinks ----------------------------- 128K +  8K RAM
- Tower Toppler --------------------- 64K +  8K RAM
- Rescue On Fractalus (prototype) - 32k +  2K RAM

- Basketbrawl ---------------------- 128K
- Double Dragon ------------------- 128K
- Fatal Run ------------------------- 128K
- Ikari Warriors -------------------- 128K
- Mean 18 Ultimate Golf ---------- 128K
- Midnight Mutants ---------------- 128K
- Ninja Golf ------------------------ 128K
- Planet Smashers ---------------- 128K
- Rampage ------------------------ 128K
- Scrapyard Dog ------------------ 128K
- Title Match Pro Wrestling ------- 128K
- Water Ski ------------------------ 128K
- Xenophobe ---------------------- 128K
- Rampart (prototype) ------------ 128K
- Toki (prototype)(PAL) ----------- 128K

Neat also its crazy Ikari is the same size as like Rampart prototype

2 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

dont even get me started on what 6 bucks got you back then...

Okay, I'll bite -- what did it get you?  I was a teenager back then, and I don't remember being that excited over having 6 dollars...

51 minutes ago, else said:

Okay, I'll bite -- what did it get you?  I was a teenager back then, and I don't remember being that excited over having 6 dollars...

Less than $6 today after adjusting for inflation, but at the time it was less than $2 to add to the cost of the cartridge, when needed. And the price would drop in the years to come. Still less than the cost of the NES mappers.

And to think that at the time people bought a C64 for $595, which is about $1,800 today.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, else said:

well it didnt get me anything, but back in the day it was the downpayment for a rolls royce and a shack in the hamptons...

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Maztr_0n said:

well it didnt get me anything, but back in the day it was the downpayment for a rolls royce and a shack in the hamptons...

You certainly could buy a Hot Wheels back then. :)

I didn't realize. So this is a young boy's view. Welcome to the Atari world.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Defender_2600 said:

You certainly could buy a Hot Wheels back then. :)

I didn't realize. So this is a young boy's view. Welcome to the Atari world.

Thank you, i hope my humor was able to be cut with a steak

On 7/8/2024 at 7:31 PM, Defender_2600 said:

These expensive chips extend the capabilities of the original console and make it possible to create NES games with features the original console cannot offer alone. 

The unexpanded NES is a pretty weak system.

On 7/8/2024 at 10:39 PM, Defender_2600 said:

Less than $6 today after adjusting for inflation, but at the time it was less than $2 to add to the cost of the cartridge, when needed. And the price would drop in the years to come. Still less than the cost of the NES mappers.

And to think that at the time people bought a C64 for $595, which is about $1,800 today.

From what I know it didn't sell well at the original $595 MSRP and very quickly came down to like $200.  I know my parents would never have shelled out 600 Dollars for a C64. Plus it was near useless without adding a disk drive.  I don't know what a 1541 cost in 1982 though.

Frankly, I ignore inflation calculators.  They use the official rate of inflation which is always understated, especially after the Boskin Commission changes.  A lot of the inflation is masked by the fact that we import almost everything today from countries with weaker currencies and much lower labor costs.  There are a lot of things we used to manufacture that if we still manufactured today would be much higher than what we pay for the import today. Plus there has been a move towards lower and lower quality.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I prefer the 7800, I always found the 8-bit computers from Atari to be clunky even for their era. I’d much rather play on a machine from Commodore or Apple. The 7800 on the other hand has all the timeless charm of the 2600 library and its own library of cool games without any extra fluff or complications. To me that’s what Atari is all about.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2024 at 10:12 AM, harmonyFM said:

I always found the 8-bit computers from Atari to be clunky even for their era.

Yeah - BASIC with built in sound & graphics commands, a full-screen editor, an operating system with relocatable device drivers, a complex IO system with full OS support for IO redirection across all devices, serial bus which was the forerunner of USB.  Really clunky machines compared to the Apple.

• Haha 3

The 600xl is a compact computer and expanded to 1mb memory and a side 2 cart it is a pretty good system. 

The 7800 is a super 2600 and has the charm of shitty sound and better graphics. 

The 8 bit atari computers seem like the sound is way above the graphics capabilities to me coming from a shitty sound gaming systems. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

Yeah - BASIC with built in sound & graphics commands, a full-screen editor, an operating system with relocatable device drivers, a complex IO system with full OS support for IO redirection across all devices, serial bus which was the forerunner of USB.  Really clunky machines compared to the Apple.

Or the C64 (excruciatingly slow disk access, anyone?).

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Stephen said:
On 9/9/2024 at 10:12 AM, harmonyFM said:

I always found the 8-bit computers from Atari to be clunky even for their era.

Yeah, its primary era being 1979 until maybe around 1985ish when sleeker systems started to come out,  it was fine.     Even the PCs of that era felt clunkier

9 hours ago, Sauron said:

Or the C64 (excruciatingly slow disk access, anyone?).

And no auto-boot, you have to type one or more commands to launch every game, even the Apple and PC could auto-boot games.   I'd argue that is clunkier.

• Like 4

Let me elaborate, because I realize clunky is a loaded term in a hobby dedicated to primitive electronics. To me, as a 29 year old who never experienced these machines in their day, the Atari 8-bit line fails to excite. The Commodore 64 is the best selling computer of all time there’s enough interesting software to spent several lifetimes spelunking. The Apple 8-bit line is extremely long-lived and has all sorts of different permutations and evolutions. Even the early ones like the II+ have interesting quirks like AppleSoft. In comparison, Atari 8-bit offers on first impression membrane keyboards and games that I can readily play and have played elsewhere and while I am sure deeper exploration might turn up some things I’d find captivating I’ve not yet seen anything that struck my interest. To me it’s just the uninteresting computers Atari made before the Jackintosh.

Edited by harmonyFM
Typo

16 minutes ago, harmonyFM said:

Let me elaborate, because I realize clunky is a loaded term in a hobby dedicated to primitive electronics. To me, as a 29 year old who never experienced these machines in their day, the Atari 8-bit line fails to excite. The Commodore 64 is the best selling computer of all time there’s enough interesting software to spent several lifetimes spelunking. The Apple 8-bit line is extremely long-lived and has all sorts of different permutations and evolutions. Even the early ones like the II+ have interesting quirks like AppleSoft. In comparison, Atari 8-bit offers on first impression membrane keyboards and games that I can readily play and have played elsewhere and while I am sure deeper exploration might turn up some things I’d find captivating I’ve not yet seen anything that struck my interest. To me it’s just the uninteresting computers Atari made before the Jackintosh.

One model of the computers had a membrane keyboard, and not even the most prolific of the different models available. There are plenty of games that are unique to the system, as well as a very vibrant homebrew scene that continues to release games that are both fun and visually impressive. And that's all without going into modern accessories like FujiNet. Your explanation sounds like you just haven't looked very hard.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

One model of the computers had a membrane keyboard, and not even the most prolific of the different models available. There are plenty of games that are unique to the system, as well as a very vibrant homebrew scene that continues to release games that are both fun and visually impressive. And that's all without going into modern accessories like FujiNet. Your explanation sounds like you just haven't looked very hard.

Yeah, I acquired a 400 and an ST when I was a teenager. Never found much compelling to do with the former and I still own and cherish the latter. Anytime I see Atari 8-bit games and software in stores I don’t see much that compels my interest. Although one of the local stores did have one of the computers at a cheap price so perhaps I will give it a chance and tell you if it changes my mind.