IGNORED

Getting an error on "The Last 24 hours" again.

Rhindle The Red

A different one this time:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 524288 bytes) in /home/virtual/site3/fst/var/www/html/forums/search.php on line 447

I don't get it every time, but it's happened three times in the last twenty minutes.

Is it me?

Psst! You have any feelthy pictures of your sister?

Looks like we posted the same thing at the same time :lol:

Yeah, I caught that. Within seconds of each other.

Here we are looking after the integrity of the AtariAge message boards, and they think all we care about is panties. :roll:

We once laughed at the horseless carriage, the aeroplane, the telephone, the electric light, vitamins, radio, and even television!

Thanx. Rips in the space-time continuum are dangerous things to be laying around where anybody can fall in.

No kidding. And there have been a few such rips in the last 24 hours. ;) I was afraid this issue might pop up again, it has to do with the size of our database and what appears to be a very poor SQL query that the forum software uses to create that page. To fix it I have to tweak some server parameters again, once I find my notes on exactly what I fixed the last time.

..Al

• 1 month later...
It still comes up occasionally (now is one)...but the problem doesn't seem to last more than 15 minutes or so at a time.

I haven't spent any time looking at the problem (again) since it seemed to go away on its own. It's inherent in the software due to the way the SQL query is generated for that particular page. I just tried the same query on the main phpBB support forum and actually got an "Error 500 Internal Server Error". :)

This really needs to be fixed in the software itself. I can continue to tweak our server settings to fix the problem, but doing so has potential performance tradeoffs.

..Al

It still comes up occasionally (now is one)...but the problem doesn't seem to last more than 15 minutes or so at a time.

I haven't spent any time looking at the problem (again) since it seemed to go away on its own. It's inherent in the software due to the way the SQL query is generated for that particular page. I just tried the same query on the main phpBB support forum and actually got an "Error 500 Internal Server Error". :)

This really needs to be fixed in the software itself. I can continue to tweak our server settings to fix the problem, but doing so has potential performance tradeoffs.

..Al

The last 15 minutes have been nothing but:

Warning: Too many connections in /home/virtual/site3/fst/var/www/html/forums/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Too many connections in /home/virtual/site3/fst/var/www/html/forums/db/mysql4.php on line 48

phpBB : Critical Error  

Could not connect to the database  

Warning: Too many connections in /home/virtual/site3/fst/var/www/html/forums/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Too many connections in /home/virtual/site3/fst/var/www/html/forums/db/mysql4.php on line 48

That is completely unrelated to the whole "Last 24 Hours" problem. :) The "Too many connections" problem appears to be from a spider trawling through the forums, I'm still looking into it.

..Al

That is completely unrelated to the whole "Last 24 Hours" problem. :) The "Too many connections" problem appears to be from a spider trawling through the forums, I'm still looking into it.

..Al

So what exactly is a Spider? Damn thing kept me off the forums last night.

The components of a search engine

A search engine consists of several components.

1. The "spider" or "crawler" is in charge of connecting with Web servers, visiting sites, reading pages and following the links on these pages within the same site. The "spider" must go to the site regularly in order to note any changes.

2. Everything that the "spider" finds will be used to compile the index, the second component. The most advanced techniques are used to design the indexes of Web sites and pages. The index is regularly updated by adding, deleting or amending entries. But there is still a time lapse between reality, what the spider has been able to detect, and this actually being recorded in the index.

3. The search engine, as such, is the third component! It is this, which is going to analyze a request with reference to the index and prepare the results. It is also this, which is in charge of sorting results by order of relevance.

Thanks Nukey!

Last night at about 10 PM Eastern, I got the message CPUWIZ posted--whether I used the "last 24 hours" option, the last posts option or just trying to look into the individual forms.

Was the site down last night at this time? I couldn't access anything but the main page--and that might have been in my cache.

I guess my question is, are those forum indexes search engines as well? :)

I don't think so...I think it's just engines on the outside looking in, right?

But occasionally the site is completely unreachable (i.e. connecting to server... appears in the status bar for an extended period of time). This usually only lasts for a few minutes at most. Dunno if it might be just my ISP though (though other sites come up when it happens, so it's not the network card).

In any case, the view last 24 hrs. link is not -really- that important...since the view new posts link always seems to work for us forum-jumpers...and that one helps us be more topical anyway ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm having the "last 24 hours" problem at the moment.  It appears to be marking everything as read as well, so once it fails the "new posts" list is empty.  Hard to keep up with new posts...

Eek, really? I'll look at that now. I may have to just remove the "Last 24 Hours" link on the front page, as it's not something I'll be able to fix myself.

..Al

I'm currently getting a "The page cannot be displayed" error every time I try to use "The Last 24 hours".  :sad:  

Ah, well...

Yeah, it's totally hosed now, it doesn't work for me either. I don't know that there's a good solution. This doesn't work on the main phpBB site either! (They don't have a "View last 24 hours" link, but you can do the same thing in the search page). Considering it's broken on that site, it's not looking too promising.

I will probably just remove the "View Last 24 Hours" link for now. I personally never use it, and instead use "View posts since last visit" link, and then open up each link in a new tab (using Mozilla or Phoenix). This works very well for me. Sometimes if I don't stay logged in long enough to go through all the new posts, then the next time I login I'll just browse each forum manually, and open up individual threads in a new tab. Tabbed browsing kicks ass!

..Al

I think that just keeping the window open (even when using regular clicks) keeps the threads visible whether you visit them or not. Even if my active status goes out (due to inactivity after 15 minutes), I can still view posts starting from when first signing on. Doesn't work if I jump to another site (in all windows) and then go back, though.

I imagine that this is a cookie that determines when you've logged on, right? Any way to alter that to be -24 hours and use that for the link instead?