IGNORED

Missile Command "Story"

AtariLeaf

I've read in several places that the fictional story was made due to the Cold War. The original plan was for a simulated missle attack on American ciites, with one base on the Atlantic and another on the Pacific with the third one in the center. There were concerns though that a game that struck that 'close to home' like that would hurt sales, cause a panic, and give a lot of bad negative media attention. This was in the early 80's, mind you, when the Cold War was heating up again and Regan was in office. Even the creator of the game said he woke up several times from nightmares of a nuclear attack when programing the game. So the back story was changed to a more generic fictional sci-fi one.

It makes sense that Atari would change it for a family friendly home console. I was flipping through one of the old Atari catalogs, the one that divides games into categories.

Missile Command is under "Space Station" instead of "Combat Zone". In reality, Missile Command IS a war game, not a space game.

Now that I think about it, I do remember my friends mother not wanting him to get Missile Command because it was about "Nuclear War" and truth be told, she was right, no matter how Atari may have wanted to sugar coat it. I think he did eventually wear her down and he did get it though :)

• 1 year later...

post-7438-129547037199_thumb.gif

It turns out that TWO of these have recently shown up at the Personal Computer Museum --- so we're keeping 1 and will sell the other. If anyone is interested, just PM me with an offer. No idea what it's worth but any reasonable offer considered. It's a very unique item!

Imagine if William Shatner narrated the Missile Command story...

Who knows, we might just get to hear that! At a time when the board game Battleship is being made into a stupid movie, anything is possible.

Reading this thread again, I can't help but chuckle at my little tangle with tz101 (thank goodness that turd was finally banned!), but I'm also reminded that I need to post my MP3 rips of the Kid Stuff albums again. A few people have asked me about them since this was bumped, so I'll let everyone know when they're available.

The 2600 version of Missile Command is more chilling than the arcade version despite the cooky backstory - the 2600 version has mushroom cloud explosions when the cities are hit - the arcade doesn't have that. The stylised look of the them makes it look even scarier for some reason.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Bumpin an old thread. Something weird about the "story" in that Atari seemed to waver on it. The Sci-fi story appears on the 2600 version and, I believe, the 5200 but seems to have reverted back to the old cold war original story in the Atari 400/800 manual. However ( and this is what's driving me nuts because I can't find it ) the XEGS had missile command built in and there was a manual which I'm sure I had but can't find. In it I believe the story again went back to the sci-fi krylon story. Anyone know where I can find a scan of the XEGS manual for MC, it's driving me nuts.

The odd thing about Atari was that they had basically 3 divisions, first the arcade division, then the console division, and lastly the computer division. Oddly, there was no communication at all whatsoever between them. You'd think that if they were going to do an arcade port of one of their own arcade hits, they'd have access to the people who worked on the arcade version and that they would communicate with one another. Missile Command (arcade) was American cities, but I think that because the console version was being marketed to a wider range including younger people, the story line was changed so aliens were getting nuked, not "people".