IGNORED

AACH, lost my save data...

Video

Well, the other day I turned on my Xbox, and uh, it loads up to the dash, only it's all stock green, and nobody is logged in. Great, forgot to put in my memory card, so I thought, but it's plugged into the system. Ugg, so what is with that? I pull it out, and put it back in, it blips up "one profile available" for a second, and then goes away again. I was going to just log in manually, but the system says there aren't any profiles, no saved games, no nothing. I go over to the system memory and it acts like it's a new memory card, like it wasn't formatted yet (and offers the option to configure it)

Now WTF, I was half way though red factionn and your bogarting on my death and destruction damnit. I had visions of having the card duct taped to a chair with a bright light shining in it's face while I smack it around yelling "where's my shit....don't make me get the phone book" :lol:

So I plug it in the computer, apparently the computer, which couldn't see the configured card before(well other than knowing it's there, but no browsing) can now see the card just fine. It's got folders and everything is in that, uh, one text style, which is all symbols instead of letters. Check the pic...

Anyhow, it ticks me off cause EVERYTHING was on there, I got my profile back, but that doesn't cover any of the games or saves or anything, and when you can have a dozen it just sucks. Anyhow, as near as I can tell, whatever encryption (or whatever you call it) has failed so while all the stuff appears to still be on the card, the Xbox won't read it. Now I know they have software for transferring your drive over to the system, for those that have old xboxes, but I was just wondering if I could get one of those drive transfer things and use it to get the card reencrypted or something, or if I'm just kind of screwed.

One of my friends asked why I didn't just save on the HDD, I told him because I already "lost" everything I had when my last Xbox died (and that was upwards of 80 different games, a dozen profiles and shitloads of saves), sticking to a plug in card would be better, well, in theory it would be, if it kept working :x But they already completely changed the format of the system once, what's to keep it from happening again?

post-3102-12956495604_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry. I don't understand. Did you have a HDD die on you? Do the new "slims" not accept the plug in HDDs?

Except for a few exceptions, game saves aren't locked to device, and they're not locked to the console at all on the 360. I've had to replace 360s, and I've just plugged in my old hard drive to the new system and accessed my saves.

Games and DLC are locked to the console and gamertag. Even using a memory card isn't going to change that. If you change consoles you still have to redownload the game and do the license transfer to avoid having to be signed on with the gamertag you dled it with.

I'm sorry. I don't understand. Did you have a HDD die on you? Do the new "slims" not accept the plug in HDDs?

Except for a few exceptions, game saves aren't locked to device, and they're not locked to the console at all on the 360. I've had to replace 360s, and I've just plugged in my old hard drive to the new system and accessed my saves.

Games and DLC are locked to the console and gamertag. Even using a memory card isn't going to change that. If you change consoles you still have to redownload the game and do the license transfer to avoid having to be signed on with the gamertag you dled it with.

I think Video is saying that his profile and game saves are no longer being read by his 360. Regardless of if he has a new 360 or not, I don't think those should be affected. Plus from what I gathered at least, while he was calling into reference a previous need to switch consoles, I don't think that was the case here (?).

Yeah, the new 360's aren't compatible with the old 360's HDD's, (and won't read the old 360's memory cards at all) I'd been using the USB card for about a month and as I said, it just quit working, the stuff appears (from the computer side of things) to still actually be on the card, but the Xbox wont' read it.

I thought about a drive cable, but most of my save games and prifles are actually on the 360 memory cards, not the HDD, and to my understanding the transfer cable doesn't read the cards, just the HDD

I suppose I could keep backups, but the only problem with that, well, is actually doing it, if only the xbox had it's own periodic self updating for all you\r save stuff, but then some people would hat that so...

• 1 month later...

Yeah, the new 360's aren't compatible with the old 360's HDD's, (and won't read the old 360's memory cards at all) I'd been using the USB card for about a month and as I said, it just quit working, the stuff appears (from the computer side of things) to still actually be on the card, but the Xbox wont' read it.

I thought about a drive cable, but most of my save games and prifles are actually on the 360 memory cards, not the HDD, and to my understanding the transfer cable doesn't read the cards, just the HDD

I suppose I could keep backups, but the only problem with that, well, is actually doing it, if only the xbox had it's own periodic self updating for all you\r save stuff, but then some people would hat that so...

Any Xbox 360 hard drive will work with any version of the Xbox 360. The only thing that's different is the casing around the actual drive. One can get either casing type on the internet. You're probably right about the memory cards though since both versions of the 360S come with at least 4GB of memory on board.

I lost all my save files last July when my 360 died. The new 360 came and somehow I messed up something recovering my gamertag because all my save files were gone from the hard drive.

Every once in awhile I'm reminded when I go to play an old game I never finished. Right now I'm playing the Simpson's Game all over again so I can get past where I used to be. I gave up on Forza 3 since I would have had to do tons of racing to get back to where I was.

I lost all my save files last July when my 360 died. The new 360 came and somehow I messed up something recovering my gamertag because all my save files were gone from the hard drive.

Every once in awhile I'm reminded when I go to play an old game I never finished. Right now I'm playing the Simpson's Game all over again so I can get past where I used to be. I gave up on Forza 3 since I would have had to do tons of racing to get back to where I was.

Recovering your game tag only recovers your name, game score and I think the completion rating on the games. It won't recover saved games data.

Of course, at this point, since I changed my name to get a live account I can't recover any of my old save game data anyways....not unless there was a way to use my old file and change my name on it so it could be dumped into my new file. At this point though it's kind of fun to save money on not buying new games, as I now have a LOT of er..."new" games since I have nosaved data.

As for my USB drive, I think by now I've replaced everything that was on it anyways, except I dont think I've played Viva Pinata again, since it died.

Of course, at this point, since I changed my name to get a live account I can't recover any of my old save game data anyways.

WTF? I never thought of this.

So you're saying if you pay the 400 points (or whatever it is now) to change your gamertag name, all your game saves under the old name are useless!???

I don't know, but I'd say probably so, since the saved games are tied to the name.

Of course, I changed my name so I could get a live account, since the new Xbox I got to replace the old one that died could use wireless...I just never got around to trying to port anything from my old systems memory cards since I would have to have an old style system to do taht anyways.

WTF? I never thought of this.

So you're saying if you pay the 400 points (or whatever it is now) to change your gamertag name, all your game saves under the old name are useless!???

No, your game saves should be fine but then I still have no idea why my game saves were no longer connected to my account after recovering my gamertag last year. It only happened to me that one time.