IGNORED

AXE BBS

ThumpNugget

I have no Idea what/where the Axe**BBS was but when I was cleaning out one of my boxes today I came across a printout of the userlog. I am tossing it out but I thought I would share the list... in case any of you were on the board and forgot your password or something :)

unfortunately the OCR was not very successful so you get this instead :)

AXEBBS UserList.pdf

Anyone see themselves??

Anyone see themselves??

No, but we should now see a headline such as "AXE BBS reveals that 80+ users have had their account passwords revealed. Encouraged to watch their credit reports..."

;)

LOL!! Perhaps not the best move. Tell you what, go ahead and remove the file (so that the passwords and all are not revealed)

Then fold the user list where the names end so only the names are OCR'd. Then post THAT file.

It would be cool to see the names, but maybe not the user information. Sound good?

Anyone see themselves??

No, but we should now see a headline such as "AXE BBS reveals that 80+ users have had their account passwords revealed. Encouraged to watch their credit reports..."

;)

LOL!! Perhaps not the best move. Tell you what, go ahead and remove the file (so that the passwords and all are not revealed)

Then fold the user list where the names end so only the names are OCR'd. Then post THAT file.

It would be cool to see the names, but maybe not the user information. Sound good?

I think it was meant as a joke.. A user list from a private BBS from 1989 should not pose a problem.. The only information besides the name is the age and 10% put 0 :)

I think it was meant as a joke.. A user list from a private BBS from 1989 should not pose a problem.. The only information besides the name is the age and 10% put 0 :)

I like the BBS nostalgia, but posting this amount of information that users intended to be private is really not good.

Sure it might have been two decades ago, password information is never meant to be made public.

I don't want people to think just because it is old information that it is ok to be public. Simply not true. I am not on this BBS list, but I know I would not want information like this posted from BBSs that I did and do visit.

So I do encourage you to take down your current file, fold the page over, and scan without the password information. A simple modifcation, people's privacy will be intact, and you still get the nostalgia of the user list.

I have no Idea what/where the Axe**BBS was but when I was cleaning out one of my boxes today I came across a printout of the userlog. I am tossing it out but I thought I would share the list... in case any of you were on the board and forgot your password or something :)

unfortunately the OCR was not very successful so you get this instead :)

Anyone see themselves??

I know you were meaning well, but I think this is a bad idea. I mean some of those same people

could be using those passwords on the Internet for their email and maybe even PIN numbers/letters.

The names are fine.

I was hoping that I would be on that list. I have kept my same BBS handle today and I lived in St. Louis, Mo at the the time of that list.

In fact I was running a BBS myself back then. :)

For the sake of the debate I have obfuscated the passwords (sad, it reset the download counter to zero)... Though 8 out of 10 of them would not even be allowed on today's systems (less than 8 character, no numbers, all the same case, using the same name/password, common words, etc). Part of what made the list interesting was the lousy passwords people used back then.. I also checked to make sure nobody put potentially embarrassing information (swear words, "mybosssucks", etc). None of that..

As for the rest of the information.. You could hit 'U' from the main menu on the BBS (or some other key for the user list) and get this exact list except for the password information so even back then it was freely available.

For the sake of the debate I have obfuscated the passwords (sad, it reset the download counter to zero)... Though 8 out of 10 of them would not even be allowed on today's systems (less than 8 character, no numbers, all the same case, using the same name/password, common words, etc). Part of what made the list interesting was the lousy passwords people used back then.. I also checked to make sure nobody put potentially embarrassing information (swear words, "mybosssucks", etc). None of that..

As for the rest of the information.. You could hit 'U' from the main menu on the BBS (or some other key for the user list) and get this exact list except for the password information so even back then it was freely available.

Yeh the passwords would have been fascinating. :)

Anyway I downloaded the new list to add to your counter.

Most of those passwords would be very easily brute-forced with a dictionary attack. Actually, we (err... a friend of mine) used to do that back in the day, and armed with a little knowledge of the target, it usually didn't take long. I also wonder about the wisdom of keeping a username/password list print out lying around too... One local BBS fell victim to that security no-no, back in the day as well (or so a friend told me. ;) )

Funny though, how we've had 30+ years practice and we still can't get this computer security thing down. Lucky for me though, that's how I make my living nowadays.