IGNORED

Did Super Mario Bros end the crash?

Calling people names repeatedly is an excellent way to retain credibility and and keep your audience interested in what you have to say, right? :|

As much as I enjoyed this thread in the beginning, I'm not too keen to continue reading the GameFAQS-esque mess it has rapidly turned into. Later, everyone.

• Like 3

Lest we remember that SMB was actually a home port of an Arcade game (looks like nintendo nicked an atari trick of borrowing titles from it's coin op division, interesting thing is, from what i remember the arcade hardware that SMB was built on is basically based on NES hardware)

No, the arcade game was MARIO BROS.

This is SUPER mario bros. It's the sequel. Different game.

There was an arcade version of "Super Mario Brothers", but I think it was released after the original NES version.

vs-super-mario-bros.jpg?w=450&h=600

I don't know how old you are, I'm 30. I do recall that the 7-elevens all had arcade machines and that there were legit arcades everywhere. And indeed, I didn't know about the crash until I started going on wikipedia. Not like the Great Depression, which you learn about in school. That being said, it really did happen, and the effect it had on us (children) was an evolution in gaming. By the way I haven't seen the re-emergance of arcades as a hypothetical scenerio on this thread yet...

I'm 27. I remember some arcade machines in odd places. I remember riding my bike to a laundry mat down the road to play Ms Pac Man and Tron there. To this day I still look at these places as I pass to see if maybe I could stop and play a game. This is the perfect place for a machine btw, people have change and time to kill.

There was one arcade in my city by the time I got old enough to enjoy it. I was still a little young to really get into it then. I used to go with my uncle. It was rare that mom would let me go as she had the opinion that they were dark holes for sin and corruption in the middle of the mall. It wasn't a large arcade, and it was mostly fighting games at the time. By the time fighting games were allowed in my house for me to get good at them the arcade was gone so I couldn't go up there and show off. :(

• Like 1

Calling people names repeatedly is an excellent way to retain credibility and and keep your audience interested in what you have to say, right? :|

As much as I enjoyed this thread in the beginning, I'm not too keen to continue reading the GameFAQS-esque mess it has rapidly turned into. Later, everyone.

Hey if people are going to take snooty jabs at me, its like poking a bear with a stick. Prepare for ohshitbadidea.

I don't dig old shmoes acting like they're the only ones with a clue. It's really irritating. I don't mess around. Its moronic to use age as your leverage, and call people "kid" and be like KID BACK IN MY DAY, etc.

People who do that look stupid, and completely ignorant. Never assume someone younger than you doesn't know anything. It's begging for a bitchslap and a half.

From the AtariAge Forum Guidelines and Rules:

Personal Attacks

While we understand some discussions can become heated, we will not tolerate members insulting each other in the public forums. Likewise, any racial, ethnic, gender-based insults or other personal discriminations are not permitted. The strength of your arguments goes out the window once you resort to personal attacks. If you find that you often get angry when discussing a certain topic, we suggest you refrain from involving yourself in such discussions.

• Like 2

I'd take Legend of Kage over and over instead of SMB1. SMB1 is repetition with smoke and mirrors. Legend of Kage is repetition with sweet ninjas, massive jumps, tree climbing, and better music.

And poor collision detection. :P

I didn't think it was too bad! Especially considering how awesome the jumping is, lol

• Like 1

I'd take Legend of Kage over and over instead of SMB1. SMB1 is repetition with smoke and mirrors. Legend of Kage is repetition with sweet ninjas, massive jumps, tree climbing, and better music.

And poor collision detection. :P

I didn't think it was too bad! Especially considering how awesome the jumping is, lol

It's fine except for the collision detection, IMO. The arcade version is a bit better but I couldn't stand the NES version for that reason.

• Like 1

Thats cute, but anyone that thinks what I said is a personal attack is a sissy.

Theres a difference between being a dick, and making personal attacks.

Plus: truth hurts. Deal with it.

Trust me, your internet-tough-guy words are worth about as much as the pixels they light up on my monitor. Nonetheless, rules are rules. If you don't agree with them, you may leave.

• Like 1

It's foolish arguing over whether Super Mario Brothers was a technological breakthrough, because it's really beside the point. We all know it wasn't the first platformer, we all know that it wasn't the first game with catchy music or snazzy graphics or smooth jumping physics, and so forth. SMB didn't do any of these things first, and it didn't have to: it just did them better than the games that came before it, and at the right time. And, as I said in my earlier post, Nintendo successfully built the game around a very appealing franchise that's still going strong today, and we shouldn't downplay what that added to the game. I don't think it would have had quite the same appeal if it had been (for example) some guy in a spacesuit jumping on aliens in a generic Martian landscape.

• Like 3

Arkan/Apolloboy, I suggest you read the 1st two pages of the 1986 section/chapter of the book 'phoenix' fall and rise of videogames

In there it states that super mario bros began life as an arcade game sequal to mario bros, they later decided to package the game for home use for the japanese version of the NES (aka famicom in japan)

In there it states that super mario bros began life as an arcade game sequal to mario bros, they later decided to package the game for home use for the japanese version of the NES (aka famicom in japan)

I can't find anything to back this claim on the net. Everything I read about "Super Mario Bros." suggests that it was originally developed for the Famicom/NES.

Trust me, your internet-tough-guy words are worth about as much as the pixels they light up on my monitor. Nonetheless, rules are rules. If you don't agree with them, you may leave.

You can call it internet tough guy words, sure. Except, I'll talk to you like this in person too. I think this threads pretty tame in all honesty. We're all tough, we can handle it. None of us are whiney babies (I hope)

Arkan/Apolloboy, I suggest you read the 1st two pages of the 1986 section/chapter of the book 'phoenix' fall and rise of videogames

If the book said Atari was developed in a volcano on top of Mars, by Martians, and mailed to us via the Photon Express, would you believe that too?

The game was developed for the famicom.

• Like 2

I don't know how old you are, I'm 30. I do recall that the 7-elevens all had arcade machines and that there were legit arcades everywhere. And indeed, I didn't know about the crash until I started going on wikipedia. Not like the Great Depression, which you learn about in school. That being said, it really did happen, and the effect it had on us (children) was an evolution in gaming. By the way I haven't seen the re-emergance of arcades as a hypothetical scenerio on this thread yet...

I'm 27. I remember some arcade machines in odd places. I remember riding my bike to a laundry mat down the road to play Ms Pac Man and Tron there. To this day I still look at these places as I pass to see if maybe I could stop and play a game. This is the perfect place for a machine btw, people have change and time to kill.

There was one arcade in my city by the time I got old enough to enjoy it. I was still a little young to really get into it then. I used to go with my uncle. It was rare that mom would let me go as she had the opinion that they were dark holes for sin and corruption in the middle of the mall. It wasn't a large arcade, and it was mostly fighting games at the time. By the time fighting games were allowed in my house for me to get good at them the arcade was gone so I couldn't go up there and show off. :(

There is a pizza joint in my town that has ms pac-man. I played it recently, and was surprised as how good I was!! I had to stop because my pizza was getting cold.... by the way man you have the best screen name ever.

Edited by toptenmaterial

.... by the way man you have the best screen name ever.

Why thank you, I worked extra hard on it, not really. It was suggested by xBox Live when I started it up and I couldn't think of anything better. :cool:

Sorry to just drop that in this thread but it would be rude of me to ignore a compliment like that.

Erm, why did you mention me in this? I just responded to Arkhan about Legend of Kage, I didn't address SMB at all.

And I should mention that the book got it wrong, since Vs. Super Mario Bros. was released in 1986, about a year after SMB came out on the Famicom/NES.

Was there a particular reason why Atari delayed launch of the 7800

The Tramiels. When the Tramiels bought Atari, they put all video game console projects on hold.

There was actually a rumor that a few stores got 7800 product in 1984, but they couldn't do anything with it for some reason. Maybe they didn't have the authorization from Atari to sell it.

I can't find anything to back this claim on the net. Everything I read about "Super Mario Bros." suggests that it was originally developed for the Famicom/NES.

Miyamoto himself says that Vs. SMB was a reimagined version of the NES/Famicom SMB for the arcade in this interview. He had so much fun making new levels for it that he decided to make SMB2j/Lost Levels after it.

http://www.skeedy.com/news/games/super-mar...amoto-1/644281/

http://www.skeedy.com/news/games/super-mar...amoto-2/644278/

(It's in two parts.)

The Tramiels. When the Tramiels bought Atari, they put all video game console projects on hold.

Nope. This has already been more than covered here, the 7800 didn't come with the purchase and they had to negotiate between Warner and GCC who owned GCC for the MARIA development and the development of the first 10 launch titles. They paid for Maria by Spring of '85 and the 10 titles shortly after, looking by August to relaunch the 7800.

There was actually a rumor that a few stores got 7800 product in 1984, but they couldn't do anything with it for some reason. Maybe they didn't have the authorization from Atari to sell it.

The "couldn't do anything with it" is the rumor. There was a full test market of the system in the New York and California areas in '84.

Edited by wgungfu

Nope. This has already been more than covered here, the 7800 didn't come with the purchase and they had to negotiate between Warner and GCC who owned GCC for the MARIA development and the development of the first 10 launch titles. They paid for Maria by Spring of '85 and the 10 titles shortly after, looking by August to relaunch the 7800.

The "couldn't do anything with it" is the rumor. There was a full test market of the system in the New York and California areas in '84.

I would have hated to be one of the folks who bought a 7800 during that test launch, then! Having a 'brand new' system that you couldn't buy anymore games with for two years. :ponder:

Did Atari let them keep the systems, then? Were they giving support on them if the system broke or they wanted to order a new joystick?

I would have hated to be one of the folks who bought a 7800 during that test launch, then! Having a 'brand new' system that you couldn't buy anymore games with for two years. :ponder:

I did run across different store ads in later '84 and through '85 for 7800 cartridges. So I have to imagine there was still some stock out there.

Did Atari let them keep the systems, then?

Not sure what you mean. Test market doesn't mean take it home and test if for us, it means you sell them (as in people buy them) so the company can get an idea of how they think they'll sell.

Were they giving support on them if the system broke or they wanted to order a new joystick?

AFAIK, all Atari products were still serviceable at Atari Service Centers during that time. Service Centers of course were like locations authorized by Atari to do service on Atari products.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the first NES's sold in the States didn't come with SMB? I think that may have come out as much as a year after the system.

I'm fairly certain the first NESes came with Gyromite and Duck Hunt on two separate carts. Of course, the system also came with two controllers, a Zapper, and ROB.

I don't know exactly when SMB entered the picture, but it probably wasn't long.

It did and was generally viewed at first by customers as an odd and expensive thing. 85 season as I think I recall we had one setup on the counter, people really thoght it odd, we sold very few for quite some time.

It was far from an immediate success. People liked Super Mario brothers but wanted it for their system not another system.They did like Duck Hunt! People would always play a few rounds and liked it very much! Gyromite and the Robot were just confusing for people. Were were doing closeouts of all the major systems from warehouses around the country so really at first NES had to compete with great prices on better more popular systems, as well as Atari 800 and C64. I think folks believe that NES was some immediate success. It wasn't. 85 would have been different if Warner had not been so skittish. 7800 would have done very well. People asked ALL the time.Seemed like as the closeouts dwindled and NES had more title things just went that way as there was little else to chose (yes SMS) so.. right place right time. The industry is full of these examples.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the first NES's sold in the States didn't come with SMB? I think that may have come out as much as a year after the system.

I'm fairly certain the first NESes came with Gyromite and Duck Hunt on two separate carts. Of course, the system also came with two controllers, a Zapper, and ROB.

I don't know exactly when SMB entered the picture, but it probably wasn't long.

It did and was generally viewed at first by customers as an odd and expensive thing. 85 season as I think I recall we had one setup on the counter, people really thoght it odd, we sold very few for quite some time.

It was far from an immediate success. People liked Super Mario brothers but wanted it for their system not another system.They did like Duck Hunt! People would always play a few rounds and liked it very much! Gyromite and the Robot were just confusing for people. Were were doing closeouts of all the major systems from warehouses around the country so really at first NES had to compete with great prices on better more popular systems, as well as Atari 800 and C64. I think folks believe that NES was some immediate success. It wasn't. 85 would have been different if Warner had not been so skittish. 7800 would have done very well. People asked ALL the time.Seemed like as the closeouts dwindled and NES had more title things just went that way as there was little else to chose (yes SMS) so.. right place right time. The industry is full of these examples.

Very intersting.... Especially from retailers point of view......

I know my friend and I had a helluva time finding a NES for sale in it's initial launch...And we live in the Chicagoland area!!! In know I didn't get mine till Feb. of '86 (B-day gift.) It was the *Deluxe* set that included seperate carts of Gyromite and Duck Hunt...@Atarian 63---Was there a limited initial supply?

I'll preface this by saying I "loathe" SMB! I think the original Mario Brothers is the superior version! My friend actually owned a arcade BITD. And I believe he did have a VS SMB when it was new-not sure if it twas 85 or 86.... So for me, I could care less about SMB on the NES. It was the fact that Nintendo, the maker of Mario Bros, Donkey Kong series and Popeye, was coming out with a graphically enhanced versions of such arcade gems! SMB wasn't even a thought.

So my answer to the op's question is *NO*! The Nintendo system itself aided in the post crash era......

"Did Super Mario Bros end the crash?"

No in terms of gaming in general. Many including myself were playing computer games.

In terms of consoles probably yes for mainstream gaming at least.

It played a HUGE part but it wasn't just Super Mario that catapulted the NES so the question needs to be changed to "Did the NES end the crash...for console gaming?". Probably yes, for starting it but thank Sega and Atari too because not everyone bought an NES off the bat.

Also keep in mind. Kids played Atari grew older, played computer games. New kids come in and want an NES.

Its like a cycle. Those older kids jump on the NES too and guess what? NES is king.