IGNORED

Which 90's console has the best sound?

Koopa64

The timeline for this thread is 1990 - 1999, just like the other thread (1989 and below). So basically, this means any home console (not PC, not arcade, not handheld) that was released in the 90s. That excludes the following 'too early/late" systems:

Sega Genesis (1989)

Turbo Grafx-16 (1989)

PS2 (2000)

This ought to be a real interesting thread since I am intentionally mixing cart systems with CD systems.

One last note, I know I said no Arcade systems, but the Neo-Geo AES is an exception. Feel free to vote for it if you think it's the best.

Well folks, have at 'er!

EDIT: Oh yeah, add-on systems count too, such as the Sega CD, 32X, Jaguar CD, N64DD and anything else like them.

Edited by Koopa64

Dreamcast.

1990 is the cut off, not 1999.

Did you confuse this thread with your own?

By the time you get to the 32-bit era, pretty much everything has great sound, right? The audio hardware limitations aren't there anymore.

Especially with everthing using CD's - +1

That's the whole point. Virtually all sound was standardized with CD-ROM media. There were no more dedicated sound chips that played particular sounds. The music on CD could be whatever the developer wanted, either perfect orchestrated music, techno, rock, or anything.

For its time, SNES blew its competitors out of the water with its sound chip. Music and sounds were always better on SNES than other systems of the time.

If PC's were considered, well, loved the sound of a Soundblaster AWE16, or a Gravis Ultrasound.

that is simply untrue. the snes was a fantastic system for sound samples and midi, but it had very low fidelity... meaning it didnt have very clear treble and bass. so it worked wonderfully with orchestral and string music, but it blew chunks with techno and rock music. on the other hand, the sega genesis used a full featured 8-bit synthesizer for its sound chip. so while samples of real instruments were predictably terrible, "chip tune" style video game music sounded crystal clear and was fantastic. each system could sound fantastic if the music composer and sound programmer took advantage of each of the systems strengths and avoided their weaknesses.

saying the snes or genesis had a superior soundchip over the other is no different than saying a violin is better than an electric guitar or vice versa.

• Like 1

Actually, chrisbid, I know exactly what you're getting at, and agree. The Genesis sound hardware is generally punchier and brighter than the SNES, and is definitely better at doing what it's good at, if that makes sense. Each console can't really match the other's strengths.

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 1

The timeline for this thread is 1990 - 1999, just like the other thread (1989 and below). So basically, this means any home console (not PC, not arcade, not handheld) that was released in the 90s. That excludes the following 'too early/late" systems:

Sega Genesis (1989)

Turbo Grafx-16 (1989)

PS2 (2000)

This ought to be a real interesting thread since I am intentionally mixing cart systems with CD systems.

One last note, I know I said no Arcade systems, but the Neo-Geo AES is an exception. Feel free to vote for it if you think it's the best.

Well folks, have at 'er!

EDIT: Oh yeah, add-on systems count too, such as the Sega CD, 32X, Jaguar CD, N64DD and anything else like them.

I'll take the Neo Geo AES then for my vote.

The PS1 and Dreamcast are obvious choices being disc-based in nature.

But when it comes to programmable sound chips, the N64 and 32X have the highest-quality sounds and instruments, but the Genesis and SNES have some of the finest and most memorable musical scores available for the time.

In fact you could call it crazy but to me it seems like the older chiptunes are much more easily recognizable than the more realistic stuff.

Example: Think of your favorite song from, say, Mega Man X. Hum it. Easy huh? Now take your favorite song from Mega Man X5. Not so easy. I can remember every tune in MMX1-3, but I can't honestly tell you I remember a single track from a Mega Man X game that came after 3.