IGNORED

bB - compiling and negative numbers

dbks

I had something weird happen me to today regarding bB. Maybe someone knows why the following happened (I fixed it, I am just extremely curious as to how it happened):

I have an older laptop winXP/Ubuntu x32 and a bad ass desktop running Vista x64. I like to develop on the desktop since it has a nice office chair. So I had been using that comp. I am traveling tonite so I am using my laptop. Just before I left, I compiled my current project (my first) and ran it. Nice nice so far. Then I copied it to my usb drive.

So a few hours ago I open my visual bB project on the laptop. Let's compile & run, right? Wrong: errors! wtf.

I read: bB entry on negative numbers when I first started with bB. Right on. Then I set a variable to -1 like:

a = -1

I used it on the Vista desktop. Compiled ran fine. Then tonight it did not compile on my winXP laptop. So I changed to:

a = 255
rem or the following equivalent
a = 256 - 1

and then it compiled.

So why? Well for one I followed the threads/advice here on how to get visual bB running on Vista/Win 7. Replaced files, etc. So that's the only difference. It must be the new 2600basic.exe/other files.

Hmmm. Just thought I'd post this to see if anyone knew why. I guess in the future I should follow the

a = 256 - x

style to be able to transition from my x32winXP and to x64Vista.

Oh well all's well... just wondering why?

Take it easy.

EDIT: I am an idiot. This should be in the batari Basic forum. How can it be moved? Perhaps a mod can help? Thanks.

Edited by dbks

• 2 weeks later...