IGNORED

2600 Flicker issue

anakedg

I have come across a couple 2600s that work, but the video signal seems to get bright flickers. Not so much as to disrupt the picture, but just making it brighter for a split second. The flicker continues at a constant rate about every 1-2 seconds. What causes this and is there a way to fix it? Thanks for any info you guys can provide.

One of my 2600's would do something like that all the time, and I determined it was being caused by the RF switch thingy (the old school COMPUTER -> TV silver box type). Over the years it had probably accumulated some gunk on the switch and was making poor contact. I just sprayed some contact cleaner in there, worked the switch back and forth a bit, and it has been fine since.

• Like 1

Could be any of these things.

Dirty switches, power regulator, green "chicklet" cap, or IC chip going bad, bad rf cord, faulty power adapter, cold solder joint.

Thanks I'll try looking into a the switches and RF cable. I thought the rf cord could be the cause because it had a nasty crease that could've been damaged, of course I discovered this after making the post.

Spray some contact cleaner in the switches and work them up and down a few times.

I know from history that a bad RF cord (mainly where the cord goes into the RCA plug is worn/crimped) will change color brightness & sharpness if you wiggle it around at that spot, otherwise it usually stays the same.

My bets are still the switches, "green chicklet cap", or intermittent IC chip issue.