IGNORED

"Disney Cuts, Revamps Videogame Operations"

Metal Ghost

I thought this may be of interest to the community here. I'll skip around a bit, but will quote directly:

By Nick Wingfield and Ethan Smith

"Walt Disney Co. laid off nearly a third of the workers in its videogame operations, a shake-up in a money-loosing division in which the entertainment company has invested heavily in recent years."

"The company nitified employees on Monday of the layoffs, most of which were concentrated in the groups responsible for Disney's console videogames. People familiar with the matter say about 200 employees were let go by Disney, which had roughly 700 people working on games prior to the move. These people said more layoffs are expeced in the near future within the interactive media division at Disney, which also includes non-game Internet properties and provides digital support services for the rest of the company".

"As part of the layoffs, Disney will shut entirely one of its game studios, Propaganda Games of Vancouver, B.C., that worked on the "Tron" game, the people familiar with the matter said."

"Disney appears to be focusing its future efforts in the games business on newer categories like social games...."

"The interactive media group is the only division at Disney currently in the red, posting a $243 million operating loss in the fiscal year ended Oct. 2 on revenue of $761 million."

I don't know how much they made, but I know that it was a pretty reasonable sucess. I know over a million.....I believe I read 1.3M sold. That's pretty good, especially considering it was a platform exclusive with a pretty late holiday release date of November 30th. But from what I've read in another article Epic Mickey represents their only success. Tron was a big failure, Guilty Party didn't even really make mainstream consciousness (which is a disappointment, I mean hey, Wideload Studios made Stubbs the Zombie!!), and Split/Second didn't move the units I think they were hoping.