IGNORED

Macintosh II Resolution Question

Tempest

Hopefully someone here can answer this question. I have a Mac IIfx with a RasterOps 8XL card hooked up to a 14" Apple monitor. Everything looks fine, but I've noticed that System 7 is being displayed at a very high resolution (everything is kind of small looking). This isn't a problem for me, but when I go to try and play an old System 6 game it's displayed in a small window (works just fine though). I tried this with Shufflepuck Cafe, Social Climber, and Gunshy. They all run full screen on my SE/30 but windowed on my IIfx.

I assume this is due to the screen being set to a higher resolution and not some odd incompatibility. If, so what resolution should I set the IIfx to? What video card is recommended? The RasterOps 8XL came with the system, but alternatives seem to be fairly cheap to buy.

Tempest

It's kind of hard to know what you're talking about without a good picture. Is the picture screwed up (double images, etc.) or just very high resolution? The original 13" Apple monitors should be fixed-frequency 640x480, and it's hard to tell exactly what kind of monitor you have if that's not it. What's the Apple model number?

I think if you reboot with command-option-P-R held down, it should reset the PRAM and your video settings with it. But if it's just the wrong resolution, then Control Panel -> Monitors to change the resolution.

Some of those older games are not going to play full screen. For example, are you playing the B&W version of Shuffle Puck Cafe (one of my all time favs)? That was programed with the smaller resolution in mind (whatever a Mac Plus was), so it is going to be windowed no matter what you do. I'm not familiar with the other games, but be thankful that they don't crash. I remember some of the older ones couldn't handle the bigger screen and would just bomb the system (Sorry, a system error occurred), especially since you are using a Mac II FX which has some weird hardware in it.

Edited by cybercylon

Yeah I'm just going to stick with my SE/30. There's not enough stuff that I want to play on my IIfx to justify having it out.

I'm wondering if I'm going to run into speed issues with the SE/30? I have a Classic that I might use instead.

Tempest