IGNORED

Power Supply Question

Mendon

A friend of mine was moving and had a Halo 3 Limited Edition console that he no longer wanted. System came with the Halo 3 controller, hard drive, and component cables but he couldn't find the power supply. He said it had worked fine the last time he used it (over a year ago) and I figured for the $50 asking price, I could find a power supply and would have a nice back up system.

I brought it home and looked to see if the power supply from my black Elite console might work. But upon close inspection, I noticed a difference between the connector on the Halo console and the connector on the Elite Power Supply: on the Halo 3 console, between the six holes that the prongs from power cord plug into, there is a small square post in the middle. On the Elite power cable, there is also a small square post in the same spot. So when you try to push the Elite power cable into the Halo console, these two small posts in the middle hit, and thus no connecting is possible. I looked at the Elite console and there is no post between the two rows of connector holes.

(NOTE: Sorry, as if this power supply problem isn't enough, my digital camera seems to now be dead... ARGH!! I will try to post pictures as soon as I can).

The Halo 3 consoles says its 120v, 16.5a, 203w

Questions:

I know that there is a difference in volts & amps on the power supplies, but did MS also make the way they hooked together different?

Was the power supply for the Halo 3 console a special beast?

Is it going to be hard to find a replacement power supply?

Anyone know of a good mail order place to purchase a power supply from?

I looked on Amazon and saw some replacement power supplies that said "Will fit all Xbox360's" but I don't trust that description knowing there is a difference in volts & amps and seeing the difference between the Halo 3 connector and the Elite Power Supply connector.

Again, sorry I couldn't post a picture but perhaps someone has some info based on what I've described.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Yes I don't think the Elite power supplies are interchangeable with those older models unfortunately.

I ran into a similar issue awhile ago trying to move my consoles around and realizing it wasn't going to be as easy as disconnecting the supplies and cables and just moving the unit because as you've found out, they aren't all compatible.

You can find them on eBay.

Do a search on 360 power supply 203w

Here's a few examples, there are tons of them, and they are cheap. They used to want like $50 for them!!

Now it looks like they are around $20

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2004883696101?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=200488369610&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3102337433681?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=310233743368&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1705973088451?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=170597308845&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Good luck. I've always wanted one of those Halo 360's. Almost bought one several times over the years. :cool:

The power supply was changed a couple of times. My launch 360 Premium has a different PSU from the Premium I bought just before Premiums were retired. I think the PSU was redesigned at the same time that they added the HDMI port to the machine.

Nobody ever reads my articles... :sad:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907635

I was going to link to that page, there is backwards compatibility with the PSU connector but no forward compatibility.

Like the Jasper 360 can use a older higher watt 360 PSU but a older version 360 can not use a Jasper 360 PSU.

the 360S PSU uses a totally different PSU connector on the system.

My friends 360 Jasper is using a PSU from a falcon 360 because something happened to the PSU for his jasper 360 (power surge we think)

Edited by madmax2069

I wish I would have found that info before posting, Rob, as its an excellent source!! Maybe I need to learn more about "SEARCH" as I went to the Xbox support site and typed "xbox360 power supply" and it never brought up the page you linked to.

Anyway, Thanks for the excellent source!

Mendon

I wish I would have found that info before posting, Rob, as its an excellent source!! Maybe I need to learn more about "SEARCH" as I went to the Xbox support site and typed "xbox360 power supply" and it never brought up the page you linked to.

Anyway, Thanks for the excellent source!

Mendon

Search is not working well on support.xbox.com right now. It's undergoing a complete overhaul.

We moved to a more visual platform to support what we wanted to do for Kinect, and everything is being re-indexed.

Trivia: You can see my house and my son dressed up kind of like a Jawa if you naviage to the lastr page here

Man I hated that the different Xboxes had different power supplies. I found out the hard way that they weren't interchangeable a long time ago, when I took my system to a friends house to see what was wrong with his system. Plugged the cable in and...WTF, it doesn't fit. Anyhow, they are different voltages too.

Microsoft has made a lot of blunderous boneheaded mistakes with the 360, but this is one of the worst single generation systems for compatibility I have EVER seen.

Man I hated that the different Xboxes had different power supplies. I found out the hard way that they weren't interchangeable a long time ago, when I took my system to a friends house to see what was wrong with his system. Plugged the cable in and...WTF, it doesn't fit. Anyhow, they are different voltages too.

Microsoft has made a lot of blunderous boneheaded mistakes with the 360, but this is one of the worst single generation systems for compatibility I have EVER seen.

I have to defend the PSU a little bit. The newer ones are lower power draw at load and lower standby wattage. This is a win for users as Xbox has been a bit ahead of the curve (relative to other home entertainment components) in energy saving improvements. Keying the units was the only way to make sure the wrong unit would not be used with an older console. But I think it was clever the way the keying was done so that if you elect to plug an older PSU into a newer console it would still work.

It is unfortunate that it had to take a complete form factor overhaul for the 360S (which may be what your post was referring to.)