IGNORED

High Score Club 8.24 - Sky Skipper

Ze_ro

Important Notes: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

It's a high-flying, action-packed adventure! You're the pilot chosen for this most unusual mission: to rescue the animals held captuve by the dangerous gorilla. But it won't be easy. You'll have to pilot your plane through all kinds of flying hazards. To make matters worse, you only have a limited amount of fuel to accomplish your mission. Can you save the animals in time?

skyskipper-attract.jpg

Game Information
  • Game Name: Sky Skipper
  • Released By: Parker Bros, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: Your Choice - Controls Plane Speed
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 2 - Clouds in Sky

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday February 9th at 1:00 AM (Central Time, UTC-6).

Challenges
  • Extreme Settings - Play Game 3 (Clouds in the sky with faster plane) with DIFFICULTY "A" / EXPERT, and post a score. Top score will get 5 bonus points, the 2nd 4 points, etc. All scores on Game 3 will receive at least 1 bonus point.
    • 49,830 (oyamafamily) [+5]
    • 19,350 (toymailman) [+4]
    • 10,770 (JacobZu7zu7) [+3]
    • 4680 (Miss 2600) [+2]
    • 4620 (Gorfy) [+1]
    • 2780 (leematari) [+1]
    • 2060 (Krytol) [+1]
    • 1360 (roadrunner) [+1]
    • 1150 (Vocelli) [+1]
    • 650 (Curious Sofa) [+1]
    • 640 (atariUCLA24) [+1]
      640 (Scrabbler15) [+1]

Current High Scores
  1. 100,000 (oyamafamily) [+11]
  2. 66,800 (toymailman) [+10]
  3. 25,230 (Gorfy) [+9]
  4. 16,100 (leematari) [+8]
  5. 12,120 (Miss 2600) [+7]
  6. 10,870 (JacubZu7zu7) [+6]
  7. 10,800 (roadrunner) [+5]
  8. 7520 (Krytol) [+4]
  9. 5810 (Vocelli) [+3]
  10. 5030 (Scrabbler15) [+2]
  11. 3120 (atariUCLA24) [+1]
  12. 2810 (Curious Sofa) [+1]
  13. 2180 (flammingcowz) [+1]

Best Tips
  • oyamafamily [+2]

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 200,000 (Scott Stilphen)
  2. 10,620 (Lafe Travis)
  3. 7750 (Greg Troutman)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. toymailman [316]
  2. JacobZu7zu7 [286]
  3. Scrabber15 [242]
  4. oyamafamily [229]
  5. Deteacher [208]
  6. Miss 2600 [173]
  7. roadrunner [144]
  8. Jifremok [114]
  9. zylon [66]
  10. Zoyx [55]
  11. LarcenTyler [55]
  12. Chuck D. Head [52]
  13. Gorfy [48]up.gif
  14. keilbaca [46]down.gif
  15. Vocelli [35]up.gif
  16. SeaGtGruff [33]down.gif
  17. Mingy Jongo [31]down.gif
  18. ClassicGMR [29]down.gif
  19. pis [21]
  20. lastkill3r [21]
  21. rmaerz [20]
  22. HatefulGravey [17]
  23. Mangia-Boy [15]
  24. leematari [14]up.gif
  25. doctorclu [13]down.gif
  26. Pioneer4x4 [12]down.gif
  27. 4Ks [10]down.gif
  28. Curious Sofa [9]up.gif
  29. dooglehead [9]down.gif
  30. MrJimbo [8]down.gif
  31. Mister VCS [7]down.gif
  32. satan165 [7]down.gif
  33. Krytol [5]up.gif
  34. atariUCLA24 [5]new.gif
  35. madbutscher [4]down.gif
  36. MIKE5200 [3]down.gif
  37. Frostbite76 [3]new.gif
  38. ed1475 [2]down.gif
  39. littleman jack [2]down.gif
  40. pacmanplayer [2]down.gif
  41. Austin [1]down.gif
  42. Player 3 [1]down.gif
  43. SpaceDice2010 [1]

Scoring Points in Sky Skipper
  • Knocking a gorilla off its feet - 10 points
  • Rescuing one animal - 100 points
  • Rescuing one of each type of animal consecutively (1 cat, 1 turtle, 1 rabbit, 1 duck) - 500 points
  • Every time you score 10,000 points, you'll get another plane!

Hints and Tips

The Manual

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online. Unfortunately, it doesn't provide any specific hints.

oyamafamily

Check out oyamafamily's tips (with pictures) here and here!

--Zero

OYAMAFAMILY'S CHALLENGE FOR THIS HSC CONTEST:

Extreme Settings - Play Game 3 (Clouds in the sky with faster plane) with DIFFICULTY "A" / EXPERT, and post a score. Top score will get 5 bonus points, the 2nd 4 points, etc. All scores on Game 3 will receive at least 1 bonus point.

Edited by oyamafamily

Extreme Settings - Play Game 3 (Clouds in the sky with faster plane) with DIFFICULTY "A" / EXPERT, and post a score. Top score will get 5 bonus points, the 2nd 4 points, etc. All scores on Game 3 will receive at least 1 bonus point.

Wait , I am a bit confused.

I have been on this site for one month. I try to get high scores and challenges. But "oyamafamily" offers a new challenge. Will I actually get points for the "oyamafamily" challenge? If others offer challenges then doesn't this open a big can of worms? I am confused. Sorry, please someone explain this to the new guy (ME).

OYAMAFAMILY'S TIPS:

1. Try to rescue one of each type of animal consecutively (1 cat, 1 turtle, 1 rabbit, and 1 duck). You don't need to rescue these animals in sequence. You will get 500 points for each group of 4 different animals, plus extra fuel. Speaking about the fuel: KEEP AN EYE!! Else...you will lose a life via running out of fuel!

2. Study the level matrix for Game 2, remembering the gameplay starts on Level 3:

• LEVELS 3 & 4 -> Clouds in the sky at normal quantity; plane at normal speed
  • LEVELS 5 & 6 -> Clouds in the sky at normal quantity; plane at fast speed
  • LEVELS 7 & 8 -> Clouds in the sky at double-quantity; plane at fast speed

This game repeats Level 8 once you clear this stage.

3. Special tip for beginners: On regular settings (Game 2 - Clouds in Sky), choose Difficulty "B" / Novice, because your plane travel at low speed, and you will score more points easily. For skilled players, try to play Game 3 with Difficulty "A" (Expert).

4. The plane speed DON'T change at the moment you move the Difficulty Switch from "B" (Novice) to "A" (Expert), and vice-versa. It changes after pressing "Game Reset" button, or clearing the current level.

5. On Game 3 / Difficulty A, try to follow these steps below for Levels 5 & 7:

• Knock the gorilla off its feet (Figure 1). Then, try to rescue 3 turtles & 3 cats in sequence.
  • Go up until another gorilla at the top. Be careful with the clouds; avoid hitting the obstacles!
  • Knock the gorilla (Figure 2). Then try to rescue 3 rabbits and 3 ducks in sequence.

6. Try to follow these steps for Levels 6 & 8 (Game 3 / Difficulty A):

• Knock the gorilla off its feet (Figure 3). Then, try to rescue 3 turtles & 3 cats in sequence.
  • Go up until another gorilla (Figure 4). Be careful with the clouds.
  • Knock the gorilla (Figure 4). Then try to rescue 3 ducks.
  • Wait until the gorilla (Figure 4) returns to normal state, and the clouds move away from the left side of the screen. Then, knock it again to rescue 3 rabbits (Figure 5).

post-24681-129677443386_thumb.png<--FIGURE 1

post-24681-129677443951_thumb.png<--FIGURE 2

post-24681-129677444469_thumb.png<--FIGURE 3

post-24681-12967744492_thumb.png<--FIGURE 4

post-24681-129677445371_thumb.png<--FIGURE 5

7. DON'T MOVE your joystick towards you (DOWN) when the musical theme finishes at the end of level. You will lose a life immediately at the start of next level. Always move to LEFT, RIGHT, or away from you (UP).

8. BE CAREFUL!! Gorillas can move to another side randomly! Normally, they stay on the left side.

Edited by oyamafamily

Wait , I am a bit confused.

I have been on this site for one month. I try to get high scores and challenges. But "oyamafamily" offers a new challenge. Will I actually get points for the "oyamafamily" challenge? If others offer challenges then doesn't this open a big can of worms? I am confused. Sorry, please someone explain this to the new guy (ME).

Vocelli, the challenges which I posted are for all participants. According to 2600 HSC Rules, members MAY present their own challenges. For extreme settings (Game 3 - Difficulty A), the rule is (see the examples):

1st place - 4200 (Player 1) [5 bonus point]

2nd place - 4000 (Player 2) [4 bonus point]

3rd place - 3400 (Player 3) [3 bonus point]

4th place - 3000 (Player 4) [2 bonus point]

5th place - 2500 (Player 5) [1 bonus point]

6th place - 2000 (Player 6) [1 bonus point]

...and so fourth.

For this example, players who score less than 2500 points (5th place) on Game 3 will get 1 bonus point for this challenge.

Edited by oyamafamily

I dont have this game so its on a emulator. So far I am terrible at this game. I dont know why, mabye its because Im not used to playing with the keyboard.

Game 2, B-1600

Challenge- Game 3 A-640

I know I couldn't play this game on a keyboard. Here are a couple of options you may or may not be aware of:

1. Buy a Stelladaptor from the Atariage store (when its back up), which allows you to plug in your regular Atari joystick, paddles, or keypad controller.

2. Buy a usb joystick from legacyengineer.com

The first option is more expensive but it allows you to use a variety of atari controllers, whereas the second option is joystick only.

I dont have this game so its on a emulator. So far I am terrible at this game. I dont know why, mabye its because Im not used to playing with the keyboard.

Game 2, B-1600

Challenge- Game 3 A-640

I know I couldn't play this game on a keyboard. Here are a couple of options you may or may not be aware of:

1. Buy a Stelladaptor from the Atariage store (when its back up), which allows you to plug in your regular Atari joystick, paddles, or keypad controller.

2. Buy a usb joystick from legacyengineer.com

The first option is more expensive but it allows you to use a variety of atari controllers, whereas the second option is joystick only.

Thanks, I will have to look at those. :)

Edited by atariUCLA24

MORE OYAMAFAMILY'S TIPS: Solution for Level 8 (for Main Score - Game 2)

1. Pay attention in the White Clouds, according to Figure 1. When the clouds are on the right side of the screen, knock a gorilla off its feet (the plane is positioned according to Figure 2). Then, rescue 1 turtle & 1 cat.

2. Go up until another gorilla, according to Figure 3. Then, knock it to rescue 1 duck. After this, wait until the gorilla gets back on its feet. Then, position your plane according to Figure 4 (wait the clouds move away from the left side of the screen). Knock the gorilla and rescue 2 rabbits to save your time (For this step, 1 rabbit is enough to get 500 points plus extra fuel via rescuing the 1st group of 4 different animals), and wait until the gorilla returns on its feet.

3. Knock the gorilla (Figure 3) to rescue 1 of 2 remaining ducks. Then, go back to starting scene (remember: be careful with the clouds).

4. Knock the gorilla (Figure 2) and then rescue 1 turtle and 2 cats to save your time (for this step, rescuing 1 cat complete the 2nd group of 4 different animals). Wait until the gorilla returns to the normal state. Knock it again (Figure 2) to rescue the last turtle.

5. Go up until another gorilla, according to Figure 3. Then, knock it to rescue the last duck. After this, wait until the gorilla gets back on its feet. Then, position your plane (Figure 4 - wait the clouds move away from the left side of the screen). Knock the gorilla and rescue the last rabbit. This solution will help to score a bit more than 2700 points in one level.

6. ATTENTION!! Gorillas can move to another side. So, be careful!!

FIGURE 1: Turtles & Cats at the bottom of the screen.

FIGURE 2: Knock this gorilla to rescue turtles and cats.

FIGURE 3: Knock this gorilla to rescue ducks and rabbits.

FIGURE 4: Plane position to knock this gorilla to rescue rabbits.

post-24681-129674718422_thumb.png

post-24681-129674719967_thumb.png

post-24681-1296747206_thumb.png

post-24681-129674721004_thumb.png

Edited by oyamafamily