IGNORED

show me your rarest 8bit cartridge!

qix_maniac

Anyone know how many matterhorn's exist? I heard a rumor of 10 in exist?

There are more than 10 known to exist, though no boxed one. During my collectors life I came across three carts. Also, Matterhorn was definitively sold outside of the US.

What is history behind this cartridge and Espial and does anyone have one boxed?

There exist at least two boxed Espials.

No story yet :(

• 3 weeks later...
nice! what dos six pack do? still no one has claimed an Espial cartridge! bummer!

According to the manual, you can put several different types of eproms into it, and access up to 48K of bank-switched data. Er...what that actually does for you is beyond me at the moment.

• 11 months later...

well i got salt version 2.07, but i think synapse series number 19 of 50 is my rarest

sorry no pictures (havent sussed out how to do it properly yet!!)

Yea, Salt 2.07 is around, I think Salt 2.05 and 2.04 are the rare ones.

I'd love to find a Synapse Series cart by Sunmark (yea, those are just ROM's slapped onto a Multi-cart, but it is collectable).

What is history behind this cartridge and Espial and does anyone have one boxed?

Hi there.

I've been out of Atari circulation for a while, but, when I was last around, there were 12 Matterhorn carts known, but no box. One of them is mine, and two of the others were, at some point.

The boxed Espial pictured on Atarimania is mine.

post-3877-0-04799900-1329351531_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi there.

I've been out of Atari circulation for a while, but, when I was last around, there were 12 Matterhorn carts known, but no box. One of them is mine, and two of the others were, at some point.

ouch, do you have any duplicates in that collection that you "need" to find a good home :)

Hi there.

Sealed Espial in the picture? If not sealed can you take picture of cart & manual?

I'm not sure I'd call anything I have "rare".

The rarest commercially released cart I have is BASIC XL. I don't even own one of those rare Atari BASIC carts. :)

Other than that the rarest would probably be STARGATE, BERSERK, and KANGAROO which were not actually released by Atari. (found and released as homebrews)

Edited by JamesD

• 7 years later...

I only have the carts, but HERO, but Bounty Bob Strikes Back, River Raid, Atlantis, In-Store Demo are probably the rarest I've got... do all the non-BASIC programming language cartridges count?

Edited by CommodoreDecker

On 2/7/2011 at 1:29 PM, sloopy said:

and we few... we fortunate few, have the luxury of owning one... or two... or ten... think of all those poor souls who dont have one...

Yeah. Poor me. I don't have an Atari 8 bit. I don't have a BASIC cart. Poor me.

On 2/4/2011 at 6:00 AM, mimo said:

not many rares left in my collection,

Fast Eddy is probably the rarest, along with kindercomp,story machine,fraction fever,alf in the color caves,journey to the planets.

so just a bunch of 7's

oh, actually an 8, Rally Speedway by Adventure International

I just checked a couple online sellers. "Fast Eddie" really rakes in the $$$. So do some others, wow.

On 11/16/2019 at 6:07 AM, TGB1718 said:

This used to be Computer Chess, now butchered into 4K extra RAM for 800.

Definately the only one of these.

Atari3.jpg

Heh, that's nifty. Same 6116 2K SRAM chips as found in the Happy 810 and earlier version Happy 1050 enhancements.

If they had taken it up to 8K, it could have stood in for an 8K memory card in a 32K 400 or 800, to bring it up to the maximum 40K usable with BASIC also present.

So... does the RAM map to the upper or lower half of the 8K right cartridge area in the memory map? Or maybe it repeats like the original 4K computer chess ROM would have.

Curious about the output of ?FRE(0) from BASIC with this present?

And then take one 16KB RAM card out of the 800 and test again. Might be still report the same.

A quick test to see if the 4K of RAM is repeated would be to poke a value into memory location 32768, and then see if a peek of 36864 (4096 bytes higher) returns the same value. :)

• Like 1