IGNORED

show me your rarest 8bit cartridge!

qix_maniac

It maps into to 4K 'hole' above 48K, I modified the left cartridge slot to accomodate it, I can't remember if it's accessable if

Basic is inserted, (will pull my 800 out and check later)

But I used it mainly for debugging assembler programs using BUG65, the extra 4K moved everything up nicely and gave me room 

to load BUG65 in higher memory. I was develping some games at the time, so needed all the RAM I could get.

Just checked with BASIC inserted and it does still allow me to save data into the 4K RAM, did a poke 52000,34 ($CB20) and it read back 34.

Obviously BASIC can't see this RAM so it just shows 37902 free

Edited by TGB1718
Extra info
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

It maps into to 4K 'hole' above 48K, I modified the left cartridge slot to accomodate it, I can't remember if it's accessable ifB asic is inserted

Ah that makes sense.  Neat. Full 52K mode without a left cart present. Well, the 4K is still there above BASIC, but wont be used automatically. Good for ML routines, PM data, character sets etc without consuming regular RAM area.

Im curious how extensive the mod was the re-address the right cart port.

4 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Obviously BASIC can't see this RAM so it just shows 37902 free

With my Mosaic 64K card a "POKE 106,208" increases RAMTOP to 52K(208 pages of 256 bytes), allowing BASIC to see an additional 4K RAM, IIRC the default is 160(40K)

It should be possible to use this cartridge in a left slot with an executable version of BASIC loaded from DOS.

Edited by BillC

20 hours ago, BillC said:

With my Mosaic 64K card a "POKE 106,208" increases RAMTOP to 52K(208 pages of 256 bytes), allowing BASIC to see an additional 4K RAM, IIRC the default is 160(40K)

It should be possible to use this cartridge in a left slot with an executable version of BASIC loaded from DOS.

Yes, it does that with disk BASIC, also BUG65 uses it, for some strange reason MAC65 won't use it (disk based version)

• 2 weeks later...

ive got a suncomm (sunmark?) cart limited edition 19 of 50 with 26 (i think) synapse games on it..... its quite old would love to know if its worth anything....

just realised i already posted somthing like this.... oh well i repeat!!

Edited by AHA

I'm sure this thread topic intends rare cartridges to be production carts? I guess the rarest I have is the Super-Sketch Graphics Master cartridge that came with my Super-Sketch tablet. Other than that, I have some very limited edition home-brew's of Commando, Xenophobe and Tower Toppler. Commando and Xenophobe cartridges were purchased from Video61, but new labels were made for them along with box and manual. Tower Toppler is not from Video61, my version works flawlessly and without bugs; it was made from scratch by the person who made the boxes/labels/manuals for the other two.

IMG-20181210-142343.jpg

IMG-20181210-142627.jpg

IMG-20181210-142903.jpg

20180314-191253.jpg

IMG-20180428-130234.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 11/30/2019 at 5:31 PM, Gunstar said:

I'm sure this thread topic intends rare cartridges to be production carts? I guess the rarest I have is the Super-Sketch Graphics Master cartridge that came with my Super-Sketch tablet. Other than that, I have some very limited edition home-brew's of Commando, Xenophobe and Tower Toppler. Commando and Xenophobe cartridges were purchased from Video61, but new labels were made for them along with box and manual. Tower Toppler is not from Video61, my version works flawlessly and without bugs; it was made from scratch by the person who made the boxes/labels/manuals for the other two.

IMG-20181210-142343.jpg

IMG-20181210-142627.jpg

IMG-20181210-142903.jpg

20180314-191253.jpg

IMG-20180428-130234.jpg

Anyone knows who is making these "Other" Atari XE Blu Boxes.  I'd Like to purchase and or order several...

I have a copy of Bounty Bob Strikes Back -- I found it in a thrift store years ago.  I thought I read something a few years ago that implied it was somewhat hard to find...

Other than that, I don't think I have anything that uncommon.  The weirdest looking things in my collection are probably JOURNEY TO THE PLANETS and K-RAZY ANTIKS, but I didn't think they were necessarily rare.

I feel like I have a copy of Congo Bongo too.  I remember playing it and I don't remember loading it off a disk.

Edited by DavidD

My rarest cart is my BASIC cart, it's now the only cart I have so has to be my rarest :)

I love that Super Sketch Cart Matt, looks like a computer variant of a Sketch a Graph, a toy from the 70's (I'm so going to buy one soon as they are still made (they toy, not the cart))

Hey, it's nice to have a toy from your past..

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, DavidD said:

I have a copy of Bounty Bob Strikes Back -- I found it in a thrift store years ago.  I thought I read something a few years ago that implied it was somewhat hard to find...

Other than that, I don't think I have anything that uncommon.  The weirdest looking things in my collection are probably JOURNEY TO THE PLANETS and K-RAZY ANTIKS, but I didn't think they were necessarily rare.

I feel like I have a copy of Congo Bongo too.  I remember playing it and I don't remember loading it off a disk.

Got a Congo Bongo.  Man, I am no good at that game.

30 minutes ago, StickJock said:

I have a couple of boxed Super Sketch kits.  I have no idea what they are worth, tho.  I've never used them and I'm not sure where I got them.

Sounds sweet, if you ever fancy selling one then let me know.. Can't promise you riches but I'd try.

29 minutes ago, StickJock said:

I have a couple of boxed Super Sketch kits.  I have no idea what they are worth, tho.  I've never used them and I'm not sure where I got them.

Got my Super Sketch's from Rick D.  at More Than Games.  The first one I got didn't work, he sent me another.  Haven't tried that one.  Probably none of them work (the pad) now. 

A rather poor condition Gibellie Firebird cart. It's rare for a reason. I did have a boxed version at one point, but as usual had to sell the stuff that was worth something.

Also a really rare cart made from Lego and absolutely no idea what it is, but it's probably a 

"The Pill" clone? But no switch 

IMG_20220121_164410.jpg

IMG_20220121_164418.jpg

IMG_20220121_164433.jpg

IMG_20220121_164439.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2