IGNORED

New in box?

Not going to buy but just for argument sake. There are 3 new never used atari 5200 on ebay 2 with box and 1 without. 1 of them is mint and had never even been opened.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2507653590951?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250765359095&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

But it does not even look sealed or wrapped or anything. The question is 750 is a lot for an old system. Or is it even fair to ask that much because it has never been used and that makes it more rare sinse not many unused ones are probably left. What do you guys think. I know mint things fs or cib go for a lot sometimes. But 750 is too much right even if unused.

My thinking goes like this:

If more than a few people would pay more than the original MSRP (maybe about $200 for a 5200) for something of that era, then some company could, and probably would start manufacturing them again, so NO, I would not pay that much.

The 5200 isn't really THAT old to be considered an antique (usually defined about 50 years old or older, or a couple of generations: "My grandfather had one of those when he was a kid."), and it's not one-of-a-kind either. There may, in fact, be some people who might pay that much, but I wouldn't be one of them.

My thinking goes like this:

If more than a few people would pay more than the original MSRP (maybe about $200 for a 5200) for something of that era, then some company could, and probably would start manufacturing them again, so NO, I would not pay that much.

The 5200 isn't really THAT old to be considered an antique (usually defined about 50 years old or older, or a couple of generations: "My grandfather had one of those when he was a kid."), and it's not one-of-a-kind either. There may, in fact, be some people who might pay that much, but I wouldn't be one of them.

While that's an interesting personal theory, it's not how collectibles markets work. I think there are many collectors who would pay more than original MSRP for a NOS 2600, 5200 and 7800, although admittedly, $550 is too much in my opinion for a 5200. That doesn't mean Atari or some other company is going to start manufacturing them again (although at least in the case of the 7800, there was an attempt made by some collectors to do a re-release a few years ago). They would be looking for tens of thousands of unit sales, not hundreds or maybe a couple thousand. Also, many of us collect video games and given the fact that you are here, I would assume you either collect or have an interest in Atari. Just because something is not an "antique" doesn't mean it's not collectible or valuable to a lot of people. Heck, there are tons of cars and other items less than 20 years old that are far more valuable than their original MSRP. It's all about demand and collectibility, not necessarily age.

...It's all about demand and collectibility, not necessarily age.
Yeah, I suppose you're right about there being buyers, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there were still large numbers of NOS 5200's in a storage locker or warehouse somewhere. That possibility should limit the amount rational buyers would pay. As time goes on, of course, the probability of that goes down. Also of note: there will ALWAYS be a few irrational buyers, but $750?

I saw a sealed top loading nes nintendo 8-bit for 1000 one time on ebay. Don't remember if anyone bought or not. But 1 thousand is a lot. So that's how people think sometimes. Collectables are worth a lot sometimes. And battlesphere gold atari jaguar sold for 1,225 sealed. Sealed but I don't care how rare it is I won't pay over 1 thousand for any game. So that is how it is for collectables.

The validity of "new in box" ain't too for-certain with any of this stuff.

Seriously: How many people here have bought something classic online, that was advertised as "new in the box" and in fact was not? It doesn't have to be an expensive item, either. I'm just wondering if you folks have had this happen, too? Could be a $15 item for all I care, just wondering if you've noticed?

With finicky buyers and the damage that negative feedback gives them, Ebay's willingness to side with the buyer, and the magnitude of how pissed-off the buyer is going to be if their expectations of "new in the box" are not met, frankly, I'm amazed at how much used "complete it box" stuff is billed as new. Hell, sometimes the cords aren't even tied.

Murphy's law being what it is, if I tried that, I'd be barbequed.

Edited by wood_jl

There are a lot of game cartridges and consoles now that have an astromical starting price. Sometimes they cash in on the high asking price, sometimes they don't.

Personally, I like to wait around and try to find it cheaper, if I can. That way, you can have bragging rights. Saying "I gave $20 for a Chase the Chuckwagon" vs. "I gave $100 for a Chase the Chuckwagon" sounds better :)

1 started 9.95 and said never used.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3504370186731?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=350437018673&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

never used? :D

just look at the sticker picture :roll:

The sticker is faded after 20 years of storage. That doesn't mean it was never used.

And the 750 got relisted to 700 bin and starting of 95 dollars with a reserve. But doesn't make sense. Why put a reserve. I mean if it didn't sell last time it won't if you are still expecting 700 in return. Only 50 is not much.