IGNORED

7800 HSC Season 3 Round 11 Planet Smashers

roadrunner

Defeated the first three bosses, but the fourth, butterfly-shaped one pulverized me.

Your really kicking @ss at this game Gorfy! :thumbsup:

Thanks, man. And congratulations on your new high.

I'm using my 2600 joystick via Stelladaptor, along with "X" on the keyboard for activating the cloak device. Seems to be an excellent set-up for this game. I never broke 400,000 using the Proline joystick and actual 7800 hardware (my 7800 broke down recently, forcing me try out the Prosystem emulator scene).

I don't know. On the one hand it is pretty common (at least the PAL version), so prices are really low usually. On the other hand it seems people don't look close what that game has to offer. They do a first look, see a non animated "airplane" as spaceship and enemies that look like flowers, sperms and insects, that, combined with the annoying cannon sound makes them think there isn't much.

I read a review where they wrote that you HAVE TO find out the right warp code otherwise you would play forever... What is simply wrong, you can complete any level without the warp codes.

Although I don't really like the sprite design of planet smashers, it still is a very decent shooter (despite the sound effects - and there I only have to claim the cannon to be really bad, the explosions are pretty ok). This would have rocked with a pokey ;)

Edited by Atari_Falcon
  • Like 1

I don't know. On the one hand it is pretty common (at least the PAL version), so prices are really low usually. On the other hand it seems people don't look close what that game has to offer. They do a first look, see a non animated "airplane" as spaceship and enemies that look like flowers, sperms and insects, that, combined with the annoying cannon sound makes them think there isn't much.

I read a review where they wrote that you HAVE TO find out the right warp code otherwise you would play forever... What is simply wrong, you can complete any level without the warp codes.

Although I don't really like the sprite design of planet smashers, it still is a very decent shooter (despite the sound effects - and there I only have to claim the cannon to be really bad, the explosions are pretty ok). This would have rocked with a pokey ;)

I've come across errors in reviews of this game too, so i think you're right about people not playing this enough to give it a chance. The warp code, i think, can add a nice element of strategy to the game: do i face the boss as soon as possible while i have all my shields or do i avoid completing the code in order to get another weapons or cloak powerup. Another factor to consider in this decision is the earth shield, which is depleted to a greater extent on a particular level the longer you avoid completing the code & facing the boss. When you got your high score, did you actively pursue the protection of the earth shield by getting to the bosses more quickly or did you just go a long time on your last ship?

In fact, I just played ;) But sure it is important to use the warp codes wisely in the way you mentioned. And you shouldn't lose a life at the boss fights as that will drain the earth shield significant!

I lost my last 3 ships very quick as I didn't get a weapon update for a long time. The splitfire weapon is crap in the weaker versions, so I usually avoid to get it. But when you lose a life (and lose two steps of the weapon), this strategy is very dangerous ;)

This is the first (and only) game of this I am playing for this round. I have been dreading it since it was picked, and it is just like I remember it. Like I said, it's more tolerable if you treat it like the sequel to Astrosmash, but then, I don't much like Astrosmash either. :)

It's funny that I ended up liking Realsports Baseball WAY more than I thought I would, and if anything I enjoy thios one less than I remember. As always, I barely lost a ship (and earned back more than I lost), but died with the death of the planet shield.

post-5952-129820601382_thumb.jpg

Edited by Atarifever

This is the first (and only) game of this I am playing for this round. I have been dreading it since it was picked, and it is just like I remember it. Like I said, it's more tolerable if you treat it like the sequel to Astrosmash, but then, I don't much like Astrosmash either. :)

IMO, Planet Smashers is best played with the sound off. My Ears! :x

It would have been cool if this game had some background music. :music:

The cool thing about 2600 Astroblast is that it can be played with a joystick or paddles. :)