IGNORED

dasm troubles

orionpax55

dasm is a great assembler, but takes a little effort to get used to. The best approach (at least the one I use) is to create a batch file called "asm" that calls dasm with the correct parameters.

The following is the batch file contents that I use:

@echo off
dasm ntsc.asm -f3 -o%1.bin
start %1.bin

The approach I used was for testing. I always name the root assembly ntsc.asm - mainly because I also plan to create PAL versions if necessary.

The code above basically assembles the code, saves the binary to the specified name, and then opens it. I vary the output name depending on the build - to keep a binary history for myself.

So, if I want to assemble build 1, and I am calling it "b1", I would type:

asm b1

Of course, you might want a more flexible version. The batch file below takes two arguments - the source and destination. Notice that you don't have to specify the .asm or .bin - the batch adds those manually.

@echo off
dasm %1.asm -f3 -o%2.bin
start %2.bin

It would be used as:

asm mycode b1

I've also attached a copy of the batch file.

asm.zip

Edited by Devin
  • Like 1

dasm is a great assembler, but takes a little effort to get used to. The best approach (at least the one I use) is to create a batch file called "asm" that calls dasm with the correct parameters.

The following is the batch file contents that I use:

@echo off
dasm ntsc.asm -f3 -o%1.bin
start %1.bin

The approach I used was for testing. I always name the root assembly ntsc.asm - mainly because I also plan to create PAL versions if necessary.

The code above basically assembles the code, saves the binary to the specified name, and then opens it. I vary the output name depending on the build - to keep a binary history for myself.

So, if I want to assemble build 1, and I am calling it "b1", I would type:

asm b1

Of course, you might want a more flexible version. The batch file below takes two arguments - the source and destination. Notice that you don't have to specify the .asm or .bin - the batch adds those manually.

@echo off
dasm %1.asm -f3 -o%2.bin
start %2.bin

It would be used as:

asm mycode b1

I've also attached a copy of the batch file.

Thanks, I've gotten it to work now.

Thanks, I've gotten it to work now.

I don't know what the problem was, but one thing people new to DASM and Atari 2600 programming often overlook is the "-f3" command-line switch. If you forget to include it, DASM won't assemble your code into a proper ROM image, and your program won't run in an emulator. :)

Michael

• Like 1