IGNORED

Consoles you bought for one particular game

mbd30

I bought a Neo Geo Pocket Color just for Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure.

I've never bought any other games for it... but maybe some day I'll get around to doing so. I wish it had some kind of screen lighting system.

best portable sonic ever -(nomad games don't count)

NGPC is very heavy on the fighting games - you'd expect that from SNK, but there are other games like faselei and metal slug that are serious fun.

haven't pulled the trigger on it yet - and feel kinda silly admitting it but

7800 - ninja golf

donno why - just obsessed with the concept. I'm sure i'll enjoy plenty of other 7800 games when i finally do buy one, but it's that one that makes the difference.

IMO, Ninja Golf is really dumb. Really. But it's a quirky silly little diversion if nothing else. You'll definitely enjoy lots of other great titles. All the common/popular ones are excellent and some of the more rare (Water Ski, Rampage, Alien Brigade, Ikari Warriors, Commando) are a blast.

st portable sonic ever -(nomad games don't count)

NGPC is very heavy on the fighting games - you'd expect that from SNK, but there are other games like faselei and metal slug that are serious fun.

I wish my Nomad would work from the battery pack. I'll add those games to my list of games to check out.

haven't pulled the trigger on it yet - and feel kinda silly admitting it but

7800 - ninja golf

donno why - just obsessed with the concept. I'm sure i'll enjoy plenty of other 7800 games when i finally do buy one, but it's that one that makes the difference.

IMO, Ninja Golf is really dumb. Really. But it's a quirky silly little diversion if nothing else. You'll definitely enjoy lots of other great titles. All the common/popular ones are excellent and some of the more rare (Water Ski, Rampage, Alien Brigade, Ikari Warriors, Commando) are a blast.

I know it - i've played it i don't know why it's so compelling - the concept make me laugh i guess.

I would have liked to own an amiga for the games, but never did.

The nes and atari2600 were a present so we discovered the games afterwards.

We bought gameboy for tetris, tmnt, super mario land, castlevania etc.

I bought a dreamcast for virtua tennis 2(saw it im the arcades) but found other great games like soulcalibur, pinball trilogy and jet set radio

I found a nintendods and bought 2 professor layton games. I bought the castlevania ecclesia game too but r and l triggers do rarely respond.

Three examples come to mind. I did this big-time with the GameCube, since I really only bought that console to play Super Monkey Ball 2. I've since acquired a few other games for it, but SMB2 is still my main reason to pull it out.

I got my Odyssey^2 specifically because I wanted to play Loony Balloon on real hardware. I didn't end up getting the chance to do that until much later (with the O^2 multicart), since it wasn't released in the US. But in the meantime one of the games that came in the lot I bought, Smitheerens (aka Stone Sling or Catapulte), became my "killer app" for the O^2.

Finally, I decided to buy an Intellivision on the strength of my memories of Utopia and Tower of Doom, so I guess you could say I bought it for those two particular games.

Edited by thegoldenband

I'll try to remember as much as I can...

Atari 2600 - Space Invaders

Atari 7800 - One on One

Supercharger - Wanted for collection purposes.

Nintendo 64 - Some Star Wars game.

PS1 - The sports games looked cool?

PS2 - Just because it was new and I wanted one.

PS3 - Wanted a Bluray player.

Sega Genesis - Tommy Lasorda Baseball

Sega CD - FMV was awesome!

Sega 32x - None

Sega Dreamcast - Always loved the Genesis games and figured the Dreamcast would be no different.

XBox - I have no idea.

Xbox 360 - Sports games upgraded to next generation?

So I guess when I really look at it, aside from the earlier days, there really hasn't been a single game that caused me to want the system. Most, it was just because I wanted it, could afford it and so I bought it! The only one I regret (right now) was the N64. The Star Wars game was cool in it's own way. As you can see, there isn't any other Nintendo in my collection. I always hated that every game on the Nintendo platform looked and sounded like Mario. But this game looked so cool and after walking past the display 3 or 4 times, I went ahead and purchased it. I bought a few other sports games for it, but got frustrated with the cart limitations as opposed to the cd-based games on other systems and ended up packing it up and putting it away. I eventually loaned all the games to a co-worker. He had the games forever and after a couple of years got layed off. Thankfully, his wife was still working there so I asked for the games back. I had loaned the games in pristine condition complete with all of the boxes and instructions. What I got back were just the carts and one of the games is missing. Oh well....such is life.

The Supercharger was an e-bay buy many years ago. One was a surprise (it wasn't mentioned in the auction) and the other I bought on purpose. I wanted to get all of the games complete in their boxes, but as is the case with every other system, unless you want to shell out some ridiculous money, you'll never get there completely. Though, I did subsidize the lack of completion by purchasing the Stella CD that had all of the games on it.

And it's funny I should mention that. It was that same auction where I picked that up (I think the second supercharger was in that as well), that I also had picked up a second Sega CD and the 32x. My original Sega CD had died. I think it can be fixed (I believe there's some fuse that commonly blows), but am too lazy to mess with it. And I was excited to have the 32X as well. There were even a few games thrown in there as well. Lo and behold when I got it though, besides the power supply, there wasn't a single cable to hook it up. Research indicates there are two cables...I believe one is for the model 1 genesis (which I have) and the other is for the model 2/3 (which I THOUGHT I had, but haven't been able to find :) ). Searches indicate these cables as "RARE" and/or "EXPENSIVE". Mostly costing over $20. I refuse to pay that much for a cable. SO, it just sits there on the shelf looking at me saying "NANNY NANNY NANNY!".

Ok, I have three more..

I *would* buy an Intellivision just for Tower of Doom, or Thunder Castle.

I *would* buy a Nintendo DS just for Mario Kart DS

I *would* buy a GBA just for Doom II

and I would buy a PS1 just for Duke Nukem Total Meltdown, or Twisted Metal 2.

Actually, this is a hard one, got to admit there are at least a few games for each console that make the purchase worthwhile.

Research indicates there are two cables...I believe one is for the model 1 genesis (which I have) and the other is for the model 2/3 (which I THOUGHT I had, but haven't been able to find :) ). Searches indicate these cables as "RARE" and/or "EXPENSIVE". Mostly costing over $20. I refuse to pay that much for a cable. SO, it just sits there on the shelf looking at me saying "NANNY NANNY NANNY!".

Do you solder? You can build your own for cheaper. Pain in the ass, but all you need are two DIN connectors and a 9 conductor cable.

I didn't get into classic gaming until a couple years ago, so I don't have any "back in the day" stories. Most of my purchases were in the past 3 years, with the exception of the n64.

I bought a PS3 for Heavy Rain. Yeah, a bit lame, but the game really appealed to me.

I bought a PS2 to play RPGs. First game I got was Final Fantasy 12.

I bought an N64 from a buddy in college after playing Shadows of Empire on it. First console I ever owned.

I bought a SNES sometime last year so I could play Final Fantasy 3 on it. Super Mario World also gets a bit of play.

I bought an Atari 2600 just to capture a bit of childhood experiences I missed. But not for any one game.

I got an NES to play the games I used to play on a friend's NES when I was a kid. SMB, Contra and Batman.

Got my Dreamcast because I heard about the homebrew and was interested. Sadly enough I mostly use it to emulate NES games.

Edited by Lendorien

I bought a Game Boy to play Link's Awakening exclusively, didn't own another Game Boy cart for months. When the PlayStation was released and I couldn't afford it at the time, I'd purchased a used copy of Battle Arena Toshinden well in advance of owning the console itself but it was arguably Jumping Flash! which really had me wanting to own the ol' PSX. Beyond that, there have always been at least a handful of titles which I've had in mind to buy at the same time as the console or handheld.

Amiga - Defender Of The Crown. At the time this game just totally blew me away. I was in my strategy game phase at this time. So games I played on the Amiga were Simcity, Simcity 2000, Empire II, Lemmings and a bunch of other strategy games.

Got my Amiga 500 for the same reason.

As for my other consoles:

Nintendo 64 - "GoldenEye"

PlayStation 2 - "Grand Theft Auto III"

Xbox 360 - "Grand Theft Auto IV"

I hate Atari 2600, never appreciated it, also when was 12...

What - WHat - WHAT?? :o

Glad it took Juno First to finally get you into it at least! Hopefully, you'll learn to enjoy a bunch of others in your discovery of its awesome library. Lots of incredible homebrews also to look forward to :)

I'm sure many consumers bought a DS (lite) like me expressly for the purpose of playing New Super Mario Bros. It was like a small slice of heaven, the controls are so fluid. It reminds me that the first time I played New Super Mario Wii, I felt a curious annoyance towards the controls - they felt slightly different to the DS's game. Not awful, just different, in that Mario's response was somehow tweaked.

When Super Mario Land (1st) for the original Game Boy came out, I was very curious by it. It was already feeling archaic by the standards of SMB3, but the style reminded of the original SMB which emanated a strong positive feeling linking it to the NES game's authentic pleasure of the first few hours of play. So, even withstanding the game's limitations and flaws, I felt compelled to play all the way through it. The shooting levels were a pleasant surprise for a Mario game at the time. The same kind of surprise could be told of Link's Awakening side-scrolling screens. I'm sure that spawned a smile on many a gamer's face.