IGNORED

Please convince me that Fallout 3 doesn't suck

Random Terrain

I got to play Fallout 3 for a little while about a week ago. I got out of the place where you start out as a kid, killed some crazy people that had bad haircuts, stumbled into a gated community that had a robot in front, went to go find Daddy where they said he was, then had to quit not long after that.

Does the game get better or is talking to boring people and killing giant bees and crazy people all there is to do?

I got to play Fallout 3 for a little while about a week ago. I got out of the place where you start out as a kid, killed some crazy people that had bad haircuts, stumbled into a gated community that had a robot in front, went to go find Daddy where they said he was, then had to quit not long after that.

Does the game get better or is talking to boring people and killing giant bees and crazy people all there is to do?

Nope, you're right it's the most boring game ever made, and you should stop playing. Every one that said it was kick ass were all just playing a cruel joke on you.

I'd go back to playing Civilization Revolution. *Fallum Fallum*

Nope, you're right it's the most boring game ever made, and you should stop playing. Every one that said it was kick ass was all just playing a cruel joke on you.

A lot of people think Guitar Hero is kick ass. Some people can't say the words "Guitar Hero" without ejaculating.

A lot of people think Guitar Hero is kick ass. Some people can't say the words "Guitar Hero" without ejaculating.

Some people don't like Guitar Hero in the least. Some people can't say the words "Guitar Hero" without retching.

What incentive is there for convincing you to keep playing a game you've played for for probably over an hour but don't enjoy?

Your incentive I would think would be for you to want to explore and discover area's of Fallout 3 unknown.

There is a great 18 page Fallout 3 thread here on AA:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/133753-fallout-3/

If the gushing that takes place in that thread doesn't convince you, you're on your own.

I will say the game play will remain the same throughout the game. If you aren't gushing now, I dunno if you will.

One way to find out.

Now please convince me you don't suck after starting a thread suggesting Fallout 3 sucks! :D

What incentive is there for convincing you to keep playing a game you've played for for probably over an hour but don't enjoy?

So you can make a convert and I can join the cult too.

Your incentive I would think would be for you to want to explore and discover area's of Fallout 3 unknown.

There is a great 18 page Fallout 3 thread here on AA:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/133753-fallout-3/

If the gushing that takes place in that thread doesn't convince you, you're on your own.

I will say the game play will remain the same throughout the game. If you aren't gushing now, I dunno if you will.

One way to find out.

Now that's what I was looking for:

It does have replay value either way. There are just a shit load of quests, many of which have multitudes of ways to go about completing them. Not even from a good/bad karma perspective either - just different ways to approach them. Since some things cancel other things out, it's impossible to ever get or do EVERYTHING in one game. Not even two or three. You could play it a 100 times with each one being a little different along the way and in the end. All in all, it's really a very well done game with an amazing amount of content. If only you couild kill childeren, it would be close to perfect. :evil:

Now please convince me you don't suck after starting a thread suggesting Fallout 3 sucks! :D

From the love people were squirting over this game, I expected angels to pull down my pants and pleasure me as I played. I guess I was expecting something like Oblivion crossed with Half-Life 2. I loved the Half-Life 2 world. It felt like a real place that was kind of creepy/scary. I didn't get the same kind of feeling from this game (an instant love for the game world). But I would like to join the cult. I hate not liking games that I should like.

But I would like to join the cult. I hate not liking games that I should like.

I personally thought Oblivion was a bit better than Fallout .

I like the ancient, unspoiled setting and real monsters better than the burned out cities, retro technology and radiation made monsters.

That said the two were pretty similar in structure. You explore, you quest, you engage in combat and you level yourself.

The V.A.T.S. was a major change in combat for sure, but besides story lines and the surroundings, I found the game play and the way you interact with the environment very similar.

If you enjoyed Oblivion and what made it great, I'm surprised you didn't like Fallout 3. I will say the story line and the side quests really don't kick into high gear till you are out of the vault. I think the vault was just a way to create a character and get used to the controls a bit.

I'm a recent visitor to the Fallout 3 world also (just started it in the past couple of months) and I am really enjoying it. Don't be put off by the fact that initially everything is tougher than you and you have to scrape out a meager existence by selling off old trash. It's those hungry times that make you feel all the more like you've accomplished something when you break Level 8 or 9 and can stand on your own two feet.

By the time you reach level 13 or 14 (where I am now) you can kick some serious butt and from what people have told me by the time you reach Level 20 or so you feel super powerful.

The game world can be a real downer though. If you enjoyed lush forests in Oblivion you will get depressed walking around burned out buildings and desolate city streets.

I thought I'd actually play Fallout 3 more than Oblivion, but I was wrong. I honestly like New Vegas ten times more than Fallout 3. It's really hard to go back after playing with better aiming, weapon customization, ammo reloading, and more. Like Oblivion, New Vegas had you start with a character who had a questionable past. With Fallout 3, you already know about your father and what kind of man he was. The next Fallout, I want to be able to play as a Ghoul and Nightkin with vehicles.

Edited by xenomorpher

I'm a recent visitor to the Fallout 3 world also (just started it in the past couple of months) and I am really enjoying it. Don't be put off by the fact that initially everything is tougher than you and you have to scrape out a meager existence by selling off old trash. It's those hungry times that make you feel all the more like you've accomplished something when you break Level 8 or 9 and can stand on your own two feet.

By the time you reach level 13 or 14 (where I am now) you can kick some serious butt and from what people have told me by the time you reach Level 20 or so you feel super powerful.

The game world can be a real downer though. If you enjoyed lush forests in Oblivion you will get depressed walking around burned out buildings and desolate city streets.

OK, so I may not like the world, but I might end up liking the game overall if I play longer. Thanks. I think I was at level negative 5, so I probably stopped playing too soon. :D

I'd say Fallout is a lot like oblivion, but it seems to me like it's VERY slow starting out in comparison (outside of the make your character thing, oblivion pretty much tosses you out in the middle of the world with a lot more to do....seemingly)

Now, for me, Fallout 3 was cool, but it took a LONG time to warm up to it, something that wasn't a problem for me with Oblivion, I thought, Oblivion with guns, what could be better? But it seems really dumbed down in a lot of ways, and your weapons seem to hinder as much as help on here.

Now fallout Newvegas, eh, played it a few dozen hours, got leveled up around 10, couldn't get off my ass still, got bored. Haven't even thought of putting the thing back in yet, and don't see any real forseeable future where I would. To bad too, I may play fallout 3 again sometime, but I'm already a chunk of a way through my third playthrough on oblivion.

I thought I'd actually play Fallout 3 more than Oblivion, but I was wrong. I honestly like New Vegas ten times more than Fallout 3. It's really hard to go back after playing with better aiming, weapon customization, ammo reloading, and more. Like Oblivion, New Vegas had you start with a character who had a questionable past. With Fallout 3, you already know about your father and what kind of man he was. The next Fallout, I want to be able to play as a Ghoul and Nightkin with vehicles.

I'm kind of in the middle. I prefer the setting of fallout 3 to new vegas but I much prefer the mechanics of nv to f3. Combine them and it'd be a perfect game.

I've been playing the fallout games heavily the past few weeks. I beat both of them twice, 30 hours a pop. And there are still entire quests I've never seen. I started a 3rd round of new vegas to finally see the ceasars legion quests.

The biggest thing these games have going for them is replay value, which I know RT is big on. There are literally so many ways to complete quests, modify your character, stats to excel in, perks to choose, etc, that its mind boggling.

Yea its a slow start. But once you get a couple quests under your belt or find a cool weapon you start to feel an incredible itch to see what's in that shack in the distance or to pop your head in a cave you come across.90% of the time I've put into the game has been sheer exploration, its bleeping addictive and a great game to just relax to.

My only complaint is that I hope they get rid of the level cap in the next game or raise it to like level 60,id love to keep going until I get 100 in all my stats or all perks.

• Like 1

The biggest thing these games have going for them is replay value, which I know RT is big on. There are literally so many ways to complete quests, modify your character, stats to excel in, perks to choose, etc, that its mind boggling.

Yea its a slow start. But once you get a couple quests under your belt or find a cool weapon you start to feel an incredible itch to see what's in that shack in the distance or to pop your head in a cave you come across.90% of the time I've put into the game has been sheer exploration, its bleeping addictive and a great game to just relax to.

This is the kind of stuff I needed to hear. Thanks. I'll get the game of the year edition one of these days and play it until my thumbs bleed.

I agree with you except that I never felt super powerful when there was a Deathclaw within a mile of me.

Mendon

It takes some time to ramp up in F3. The "as a kid" stage in life can be a bit slow, but once you get outta that vault, it becomes a huge, intimidating world. I logged 200+ hours in it and loved every moment. You say "just one more building, then I'll go to bed", and it's 4am once you're done.

• Like 1

Look at it this way. I'm at level 35, and almost died...when one of my companions stupidly went over a tripwire trap that apparently was packed with quite a bit of explosives.

3 minutes later, I see a little campout in a cave. There's 2 adult skeletons, and near it are a few toys....with a child skeleton next to it. This game pulls no punches.

I agree with you except that I never felt super powerful when there was a Deathclaw within a mile of me.

Mendon

<quietly slips a dart gun into Mendon's character's arsenal and attaches a note that says "aim for their legs!">

LOL... yeah, I know. And it works, too.

But I just never felt "super powered" if there was one around. For me, in fact, the one part of the game that literally had me on the edge of my seat was when I entered Deathclaw Sanctuary after the Bobblehead. Scary stuff!

Mendon

Mendon

<quietly slips a dart gun into Mendon's character's arsenal and attaches a note that says "aim for their legs!">

LOL... yeah, I know. And it works, too.

But I just never felt "super powered" if there was one around. For me, in fact, the one part of the game that literally had me on the edge of my seat was when I entered Deathclaw Sanctuary after the Bobblehead. Scary stuff!

Mendon

Ever encounter a whole family of them in New Vegas? Pretty tense unless you're on a spot they can't climb, then it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

"Payback time." - Blain, Predator