IGNORED

Kaboom - hack or remake?

Amstari

I'm still learning how to program 2600 games but I'm curious to know if it would be possible to alter Kaboom so a second player controls the Mad Bomber?

Do you think it would easier to hack the original game or create a new game from scratch?

Edited by Amstari
  • Like 1

If you do move forward with this, you may want to have the speed of the bomber be different from the speed of the buckets. Maybe even have the bomber controlled by the joystick, instead of the paddles. You can whip back and forth pretty quickly using the paddles, which benefits the person controlling the buckets. But the bomb thrower should be at a slight disadvantage, and move slower, otherwise the game may be too chaotic.

Just my two cents.

-B

If you do move forward with this, you may want to have the speed of the bomber be different from the speed of the buckets. Maybe even have the bomber controlled by the joystick, instead of the paddles. You can whip back and forth pretty quickly using the paddles, which benefits the person controlling the buckets. But the bomb thrower should be at a slight disadvantage, and move slower, otherwise the game may be too chaotic.

Just my two cents.

-B

Great suggestion.

Also I was also thinking that the bomber shouldn't be able to drop individual bombs each time they press fire. Instead, once they press fire a series of bombs start to fall and the player controls the movement of the bomber.

OMG, if you do this, it would be the BOMB!

The KABOMB! That would make a good name for the game too!

I'm still new to Atari programming so it will probably take a while for me to do this. If someone with more experience wants to use this idea they are welcome to try it.

Seriously good idea.

If it were me, and it's possible, I think I would deffo put in some options. The bomber being paddle controlled, one bomb per button press is a nice check on the bomber player. Movement is equal on both players, and the catcher just needs to catch, not use the button.

Embrace the chaos!