IGNORED

why playstation why

Who knows, but I can't see the PS2 being sold for too much longer, in the U.S. anyway. The reason? Almost no games at retail. The major retailers have almost NO shelf facing for PS2 titles, and the few that are there are majorly sucky.

Retail shelf space is a prized commodity, and manufacturers frequently even have to BUY it - like they do in the grocery business. Even if they don't that space is worth a lot to the retailer, where they can put higher-volume and/or higher-margin merchandise in its place.

So the PS2 - while still really fun, and still quite a viable gaming platform, probably won't last. Walmart (unfortunately) is a prime example. They're simply not willing to devote the space, and the PS2 is almost gone. Perhaps the once-great "Greatest Hits" series is no longer made? They should have a huge facing of those games (Tekken, Gran Turismo, etc) but they do not.

I recently picked up a Slim (with the built-in PS, it's great) for a spare, even though my 2001-era Fat (39001 model) has never missed a beat. I don't want it to get like the GBA SP did in the end, crazy prices etc.