IGNORED

SUB HUNTER on C64, now ported to CPC... When A8 version?

José Pereira

Screenshot? G2f is not good on Mac... ;)

Yeah, but this one probably look better and I think I will not need help:

LEVEL1 W.I.P.:

post-6517-129864854645_thumb.png

In A8 the Screen is 48wide Mode and now I'll have to design all the Gfxs. pixels on the Borders...

But think it starts lo look great!...

And better when all the sprites coloured.

Greets.

José Pereira.

:ponder: A8 colour POWER!... and something more :love:

Just open a Blog, :( but it is empty, later on I'll re-direct you into there :arrow:

Greets.

José Pereira.

Hi guys.

On this screen of Level2 with all that Lines DLIs./Rainbows Blues of the Playing Area they are just DLIs. Background register.

I would like people intrested in just get other DLIs. colours on this Lines/Rainbows, please!...

level2_looking.zip

Thanks.

José Pereira.

Hi, anyone tried other Rainbow/DLIs. at Level2?

Thanks.

José Pereira.

P.s.- If you want there's something New on the 'sub Hunter' Blog...

You can put a link/URL in the bottom of every post. Just do "Edit my Profile > Profile > Change Signature"

The downside is that only people who logged in can see it. The upside: then we can directly find your blog. Now we still need to find where you put that link (just too lazy to find it :D).

not sure off the top of my head, but it might be waveform $51, which is a combined waveform (I forget which 2). The problem is the 6581 doesn't like that one but the 8580 can do it, so using it isn't ideal.
...the 6581 filters can vary wildly over every machine....

But, does it really depend on the SID 6581 chips themselves? Or is it a matter of choosing the right capacitors? Remember, the SID filter is a pair of external RC-circuits, IIRC.

Me for example, I have the following 6581s (see picture below). Do these chips themselves have different filter effects?

(by the way, sorry for off-topic stuff)

It's the chips themselves. Part of the filter is on the chip and that's "helped" by the capacitors.

...by the way, @ Sack & Pete, thanks for clearing it up

You can put a link/URL in the bottom of every post. Just do "Edit my Profile > Profile > Change Signature"

The downside is that only people who logged in can see it. The upside: then we can directly find your blog. Now we still need to find where you put that link (just too lazy to find it :D).

Now I'll go to lunch...

Here at the bottom :arrow:

José Pereira.

• 6 months later...

Long time without no Updates, but I get yesterday all the C64 code, Gfxs, sprites, Loading/Intro&Final screens from the original C64version.

Frank Gasking, the C64 gfxs. Man kindly send them to me (with some CPC gfxs. also). My great, great Thanks to him.

That's why I will know re.start this again but with step by step and all in a way that it can be used by a coder, if anyone is interested.

I am going to update here and at my Sub Hunter's Blog (here on the bottom of my Posts there's a direct acess to this Blog :arrow: )

The first Bottom and some all screen of one(s) of the Levels are already re-done into A8:

post-6517-0-73346500-1314773012_thumb.gif

:thumbsup:

José Pereira.

Long time without no Updates, but I get yesterday all the C64 code, Gfxs, sprites, Loading/Intro&Final screens from the original C64version.

Frank Gasking, the C64 gfxs. Man kindly send them to me (with some CPC gfxs. also). My great, great Thanks to him.

That's why I will know re.start this again but with step by step and all in a way that it can be used by a coder, if anyone is interested.

I am going to update here and at my Sub Hunter's Blog (here on the bottom of my Posts there's a direct acess to this Blog :arrow: )

The first Bottom and some all screen of one(s) of the Levels are already re-done into A8:

post-6517-0-73346500-1314773012_thumb.gif

José Pereira.

Oops, why I always can't put here my Animated 'GIFs'?

No problem here they are all:

( :ponder: not all, but they're coming :arrow: )

post-6517-0-20023400-1314776287_thumb.jpg

Hi, never saw this untill today a video of the CPC version:

But it's indeed a port/conversion of the original C64:

It remembers many of some OceanDetox's things: Submarine and Torpedos.

It seems 4colours DLIs. BitMap Mode possible but how to create the different Sprites?

Seems also that each Fish and Submarine can possible be at 10pixels.

(Large width Sharks seems to move many of the times at a empty Background)

I think it's a very good and wonderfull to get with the larger 128colours/Luminances of A8 but always the less number of A8 PMs...

Would like to ear some ideas from you...

Greets.

José Pereira.

You are definitely A TROVE of interesting and renovating ideas/concepts.

This particular one got my full attention. The structured parallax-effect, combined with smooth scrolling and vivid-colors should definitely offer some serious potential (the game seems like a NAUTILUS but in STEROIDS, and I always liked Nautilus).

If anyone wants to develop it, my cash will be on it.

Bring it on!

F.

Hi, never saw this untill today a video of the CPC version:

But it's indeed a port/conversion of the original C64:

It remembers many of some OceanDetox's things: Submarine and Torpedos.

It seems 4colours DLIs. BitMap Mode possible but how to create the different Sprites?

Seems also that each Fish and Submarine can possible be at 10pixels.

(Large width Sharks seems to move many of the times at a empty Background)

I think it's a very good and wonderfull to get with the larger 128colours/Luminances of A8 but always the less number of A8 PMs...

Would like to ear some ideas from you...

Greets.

José Pereira.

You are definitely A TROVE of interesting and renovating ideas/concepts.

This particular one got my full attention. The structured parallax-effect, combined with smooth scrolling and vivid-colors should definitely offer some serious potential (the game seems like a NAUTILUS but in STEROIDS, and I always liked Nautilus).

If anyone wants to develop it, my cash will be on it.

Bring it on!

F.

Yup, and the Horizontal Parallax effect it's real ideal for A8.

Now join that with just 4colours by Line and I am in Bitmap Mode (Bitmap Mode and there's no BadLines nor PF2&PF3 colour clash)... More cycles gives possibility to have 48wide screen, more cycles free and add more soft sprites...

I can have in the 160scanlines high of the scrolling Area the same as C64 Hardware sprites but in A8 4soft sprites with 4PMs

overlays by Line with the PRIOR0 'Oring' Method.

Clever choose of colours you'll get all those colourfull sprites but better than C64 because I have cleverly established common colours in all screens:

-> PF0 - Dark Gray (0,4)

-> PF1 - White (0,14)

Each of those screens are changing Background and PF2 colour Registers.

DLIs., Dither, Parallax Scrolling gets you seeing a colourfull game, better than C64, but that really have only two colours changing on the scanlines (Backgr. & PF2).

This is so clever builded that on all that colourfull screens there's always common Dark Gray and White on all screens, on all scanlines.

Then you get more than C64 3colours in each sprite (C64 has 2common colours for all sprites and one different on each one).

On A8 you'll always have 4 and sometimes 5colours on each sprite (something in the way of traditional Amstard CPC soft sprites).

Here you'll have:

-> PM0/PF0/PF1 at the Bombs/Shoots/Guy to 'Pick-up' overlay gives you 5colours on each these soft sprites:

1.)- PM0 colour

2.)- PM0 Ored PF0

3.)- PM0 Ored PF1

4.)- PF0- Dark Gray

5.)- PF1- White

-> PM1/PF0/PF1 four 'Our Submarine (same five colours as the PM0)

-> PM2 (and PM3) for Enemys gives you 4colours:

1.)- PM2 (or PM3)

2.)- PM2 (or PM3) Ored PF2

3.)- PF0- Dark Gray

4.)- PF1- White

This can be seen in this picture:

post-6517-0-14223500-1314823092_thumb.png

(C64 can't do this, can't have this colourfull sprites but we on A8 can ;) and in this case going into Bitmap Mode gives more cycles free to use on more soft sprites, but also the Bitmap Mode gives you more freedom as there's no PF3 and all PM2&PM3 will 'OR' with PF2 and because there's no PF3 there's no colour clash :) )

José Pereira.

Edited by José Pereira

(...)

This can be seen in this picture:

post-6517-0-14223500-1314823092_thumb.png

(C64 can't do this, can't have this colourfull sprites but we on A8 can ;) and in this case going into Bitmap Mode gives more cycles free to use on more soft sprites, but also the Bitmap Mode gives you more freedom as there's no PF3 and all PM2&PM3 will 'OR' with PF2 and because there's no PF3 there's no colour clash :) )

José Pereira.

That screen-shot looks NICE (!)

Boy, I just wish I could be fully familiar with the idiosync. of the HW, so I could freely code (and I am already familiar with Assembly/Machine Language)... I would literally blaze through these projects... But (for now), I can only restrain myself to keeping making excess money and spend it as I wish (unfortunately).

For whatever it's worth, try to make the parallax structured-horizon a bit dimmer/darker than the actual sprites, as the detail showed there (both in the upper and lower areas) is heavily competing with the sprites, thus giving the impression of little tonal/chroma separation between these two entities.

In short, try to decrease luma while mantaining or increase saturation of structured upper and lower horizon. In parallel, try to increase luma/chroma of sprites, so, at the end, they stand out.

I absolultely love the depth/spatial effect that this (potential) game provides, while leveraging the raw-power of the Atari platform.

My 0.02c

F.

That screen-shot looks NICE (!)

For whatever it's worth, try to make the parallax structured-horizon a bit dimmer/darker than the actual sprites, as the detail showed there (both in the upper and lower areas) is heavily competing with the sprites, thus giving the impression of little tonal/chroma separation between these two entities.

Thanks.

That screen it's old one from when I started this.

The colours used in the in the last day screens would get the sprites better to see...

I'll go now for the upper Water Gfxs. colours, but using the latest screens colours and luminances with the older Water ones (that were just trying to emulate the C64 looking) and you get this:

post-6517-0-35805600-1314847597_thumb.png

(see the difference from this one and that previous screen on the Sharks colours vs screen Gfxs.)

This Level on C64 looks this:

post-6517-0-59302600-1314847619_thumb.png

and a similar one on the CPC:

post-6517-0-82171600-1314847640_thumb.gif

Edited by José Pereira

The sound varies almost like filtered sound on A8.

Strange, I really thought you'd get a non-altering waveform given that both the pulse/triangle are the same frequency, maybe there's some fractional value that comes into play and alters it.

Although I did this in emulation.

SID = analogue phase accumulator = explanation ;)

Status Area fixed and coloured.

Top Water colours/luminances.

This Level it's a 'Redish' one but others, other Ground colours like you saw on those GIFs:

post-6517-0-82405200-1314943961_thumb.png

( :arrow: 22colours and doesn't even have sprites there ;))

I'll put here some sprites for you to see how it looks...

Edited by José Pereira

Jose, can you please post the G2F file? I want to have a closer look as since the Pacmania Tests I am still not 100% familiar with the Prio#0 stuff.

Karol this is much more simple than Pac-Mania because this is in Bitmap mode and there's no PF3, no PF3 no clash...

Enemys can have many colours and luminances 'by Oring' because PF2-(0,4), you can have any PM2&PM3 with Luminances 0,2,8,10.

(Tezz just saw you here: remember the work you started at the Ghost and Pac-Man, do you remember that the 'Eat points were Yellow PF3? And that I was a little worried because it could turn into clash (PF2 was on the Walls...)?

I talk with two coders and rgwy was talking that we could use PRIOR0 that will always 'OR' same (colour,luminance) in PF2and PF3. This way it would be soft sprite using PF2 if it is above PF2 chars of the Background or it will use PF3 if it is in a PF3 Gfxs. char.

But we were talking this for a static screen game... it would detect 'on the fly' if the Gfx. char is PF2 or it is PF3.

Then the soft sprite would use PF2 or PF3 according to this.

Would that work in a scrolling game, even a four ways one like Pac-Mania?)

Edited by José Pereira

Jose, can you please post the G2F file? I want to have a closer look as since the Pacmania Tests I am still not 100% familiar with the Prio#0 stuff.

You have several options with regard to planning your prior0 or'ing

One convenient arrangement is using PF colours:

PF0 $X2 dark col

PF1 $X6 med col

PF2 $XA light col

and your prior0 PMG overlays set to colour $X8 as per the Pacmania example from our discussions last year.

post-4724-0-63000500-1314960062_thumb.png

Pacmainia_Prior0_example_tezz.xex

Edited by Tezz